Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:16:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help!! Computer Failure (linked to geist geld??)  (Read 871 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:53:23 PM

Ok, so I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but I downloaded geist geld (the new cryptocurrency) and my computer failed that very night (2 nights ago).  Now, I can't even boot to windows.

Here's what happens.  Let's say I start my computer normally.  The computer gets to "starting windows" (before prompting me for my user password) and then automatically shuts down and/or resets depending upon what it feels like doing.  If I insert the Windows 7 CD, it won't even boot from the disc.  It does the same thing...shuts down when trying to start windows (this occurs whether or not I boot from the hard drive or the optical drive).  

Now, let's say I unplug the SATA cable from my hard drive.  Then, it boots from the optical drive!  It then asks me if I want to install windows or repair my computer.  At this point, I have to re-plug in my SATA to the harddrive so that I can select where to install it.  It however won't let me install it.  It says "make sure your disk controller is enabled in BIOS" or something, but I can't find anything about this in BIOS.

I used a SATA/USB cable to transfer essential data (wallet.dat, etc.) to a laptop.  I then reformatted the hard drive in an attempt to start fresh.  But this doesn't work either.  It still tells me I can't write to that disk because I need to "make sure my disk controller is enabled in BIOS."  Now that the hard drive is formatted, I tried restarting the computer normally with both SATAs plugged in (to hard drive and optical drive).  The computer still decides to shut down while trying to boot windows from the CD.  It only boots from the CD when the SATA to the hard drive is unplugged.  Also, I should mention that I received a message at some point telling me that there was some kind of error while trying to boot windows (prior to formatting the drive).

Does anyone know what the hell is up with this?  Is my hard drive done for?  Can hard drives spontaneously just crash out and cause some kind of interference from other processes starting up (e.g. prohibiting windows from booting from the optical drive even though there's no longer any data on the hard drive)?  Can viruses do something like this?  I ask this last question due to the fact that I downloaded geistgeld the same night that this happened.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Edit:  Keep in mind, I was able to transfer data from my hard drive to my laptop successfully.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 11:35:17 PM

Some Viruses can damage a drive however your description best fits motherboard or hdd issues, if you have another drive you should connect it and see what the results are. Also if you can't boot from CD while the SATA drive is unpluged you need to go into your bios and move the optial drive to any position in the boot order before the HDD

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: