Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:31:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [31-05-1018] In the World of Cryptocurrency, Even Good Projects Can Go Bad  (Read 106 times)
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 06:47:22 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/technology/envion-initial-coin-offering.html

Nathaniel Popper always unearths some interesting titbits.

What stands out about this ICO and its supposed 'compliance' is that at heart it's still a stupid idea that deserved to die instantly. Moving mining rigs between renewable energy sources? Uh huh.

Sad for the people who've currently lost out but where was the straightforward consideration of how bent an idea it was?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 06:27:13 AM

“I know most of the I.C.O.s out there are either fraud or won’t deliver on their promises,” he said. Envion, he believed, was different.

Classic. We'll be seeing a lot more of this.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2145

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 03:19:53 AM

All these people who gather funds through ICO's hold zero responsibility, projects that don't deliver on their promises should also be viewed as scams, because they either intentionally set unrealistic goals or just don't try hard enough, and in the end just put the money in their pockets. These kind of projects would have little chance of getting any funds through traditional means, but with ICO's investors are just throwing money at everything that pops up and has a website and whitepaper. When more people were realize that there's actually no successful projects  that started as an ICO, token/altcoin market will crash and ICO will become a synonym for "scam" in everyone's mind.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
davis196

Merit: 913

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 11:52:10 AM

All these people who gather funds through ICO's hold zero responsibility, projects that don't deliver on their promises should also be viewed as scams, because they either intentionally set unrealistic goals or just don't try hard enough, and in the end just put the money in their pockets. These kind of projects would have little chance of getting any funds through traditional means, but with ICO's investors are just throwing money at everything that pops up and has a website and whitepaper. When more people were realize that there's actually no successful projects  that started as an ICO, token/altcoin market will crash and ICO will become a synonym for "scam" in everyone's mind.

I consider ICOs to be more like a some kind of charity. Grin
People give their money for a project,but in 99,99% of the cases, they don`t get any profit from their tokens.
This is donating for charity or simply crowdfunding,not investing. Grin

gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 11:54:37 AM

I don't believe anything anywhere in crypto can ever be considered investing. It's all degrees of speculation.

As far as I can tell your only hope with an ICO is selling your token for more than you paid for it to someone else who intends to do the same. There's no other type of return and never will be. That don't smell sustainable to me.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 01:18:17 PM

I don't believe anything anywhere in crypto can ever be considered investing. It's all degrees of speculation.

As far as I can tell your only hope with an ICO is selling your token for more than you paid for it to someone else who intends to do the same. There's no other type of return and never will be. That don't smell sustainable to me.

You can say all that about any currency. Except gold, which has lasted as a currency for longer than anything ever has. If you don't consider gold a currency, then you just don't understand money as a concept.

And in fairness, if you can't recognise any longevity in cryptocurrency after nearly 10 very successful years (or understand why it happened), then what are you still doing here? Being the in-house contrarian?

Vires in numeris
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 769

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 02:46:36 PM

Even i do love crypto i can really say that those ICO projects wont really be sustainable for longer runs i dont even think on how investors would make profits for a period of time which we do all know profits would come to those who invested also and the cycle continues without minding too much on the project development or whatsover thats why i dont even see the idea why there are still projects do almost launch their sale on everyday basis.Its too much i guess and its not really necessary.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Merit: 2145

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 03:20:25 PM

It could have been investing if at least some projects succeeded and fulfilled their promises of their tokens generating profit, but I've never heard about it happening. I've tried to do some research on succesful ICO's, and all I've got was stories like "this ICO have gathered millions one year ago and it hasn't officially failed yet". I don't think even Ethereum can be considered successful, it has increased in value by some giant amount since its ICO, but it still lacks in functionality and no one is seriously using smart contracts. If it will continue to be like this, it will just die in the long run.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██