Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:45:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will four Sapphire R9 290x cards run alright on a 1000w EGVA platinum rated psu?  (Read 572 times)
DirkDunkirk (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:11:27 PM

Hi all,

I have my two R9 290x's running fine on my 1000w EGVA platinum rated PSU. According to GPU-Z each one is taking in about 186w and putting out about 153w. Fans are at 65%. I know nothing about measuring wattage (or math for that matter) but simple multiplication tells me 186 * 4 = 744w. Add 50w for the rest of the system and that's just shy of 800w. The EVGA PSU came with *6 freaking PCI-e cables!* so that tells me I may just be alright with four GPUs, too.

What do you guys think? Is anyone running four R9 290xes under 1 PSU?

Thanks a lot!
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:13:52 PM

3 290x at most on 1000w. Then that PSU has 6 pci-e connectors, so it supports 3 cards only.

Quite possibly, 186W is just the core. RAM, fans, and the rest may take extra 50W. Then you have to multiply by a factor above 1, since the VRMs onboard of the video card are below 100% efficiency. If the videocard components demand 236 W, the VRMs will demand even more from the PSU, let's be conservative and say 250W

To be on the safe side, consider 100w for the rest of the system, because the 5V and 3.3V lines are typically lower efficiency.

So that's 3 x 250 + 100 = 850W. If you're going to leave the system mining, the PSU should be somewhat below 100% load for safety reasons.

The cards are on stock voltage, right? If they are, you risk burning the cards. Does gpu-z show VRM temperature?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
sighle

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:29:40 PM

I've been attempting to run 4x 290s(non X) on a 1300W PSU and been running into trouble and had to reduce my rig to 3 GPUs. I would not recommend attempting it on a 1000W.

[DOGE]: D6EBXikfCaPqcEJULsR2qzrLWyGBdYEwGv
[LTC]: LbPrmVGKnVhn6G8FFGFdthPyP1tjFucZHu
BTC: 1JpJ4tTM2ZCCLQf1jAnTmQbKMq7LGbrmQG
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:36:21 PM

You might be ok with three but to be on the safe side you should underclock your CPU and disable all but one core. PSU failures are not fun. It's impossible to put the magic blue smoke back into fried components and once it's gone they're dead.
DirkDunkirk (OP)

Activity: 130

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:46:15 PM

@Wipeout2097 thanks for the input. Yeah they are on stock voltage, haven't messed with that. VRM temps are 60°C and 71°C

@sighle Thank you too!  What kind of trouble did you run into out of curiosity?

@tom_o Thanks - I only have a single core sempiron cpu, and I have its speed turned all the way down in the Catalyst control center.

Jeeze, I thought maybe I could swing 4 in there, thanks guys!

If anyone has attempted to cram four 290x's under one 1000w PSU please do speak up. Smiley Sounds like it's a no go though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: