Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 05:25:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me for my first time buying bitcoins  (Read 655 times)
kermarec (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:35:52 PM

Hello,
i am new in this world, and i don't anderstand many things in the process of buying and using bitcoins.

I bought 0.5 bc to a seller, with localbitcoin, i see it in localbitcoin interface, but i want to get it into my wallet, bitcoinQT.

What do i do with the code bitcoin gave after the transaction? What do i do in QT with this code?
What do i do with the transaction adress in QT ?

I'm fucking lost, and i don't find nothing in the FAQ, so is there anyone to help me please ?

Thanks for any help !

Eric
Caiapfas

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:37:04 PM

you create a wallet address from your local wallet. give it to him he will send you the BTC. then do what you want with the BTC

If you liked my post or found anything I said useful send some coffee change to
BTC = 3LxtsmCjRDPD6oYYwz31dwFJW9ktUy1Yuz
kermarec (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:04:17 PM

thank you for answering.

So i got my bc on the localbitcoin interface. I paste my qt adress and sent 0.2 bc to that address. The transaction has 9 confirmations, and i don't see my bc in my qt wallet yet.

Is it normal ?
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:09:31 PM

thank you for answering.

So i got my bc on the localbitcoin interface. I paste my qt adress and sent 0.2 bc to that address. The transaction has 9 confirmations, and i don't see my bc in my qt wallet yet.

Is it normal ?

Yes.

Bitcoin-QT is a Full node. It's what keeps Bitcoin working. If you decided to use Bitcoin-QT you have become a part of the network and help in validating and relaying transactions.

This also means that you have to download the entire Blockchain, which is several GB big and will take up to a few days until it's downloaded and you can use it. Your Bitcoins will appear as soon as it's finished.

If you don't want to run a full node. Consider a lite client, like electrum or multibit. Which are ready right after install.

Also, please post questions like this in Beginners&Help in the future. This isn't exactly a Development or Technical Discussion  Wink

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
kermarec (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:27:55 PM

And can recover my bitcoins with the new wallet easily?

i will post in the right place in the future...
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:45:01 PM

Yes,

1. install the new client. I would say electrum is the easiest one.

2. find your wallet.dat

Under windows its under \Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin

3. Make an online wallet @ blockchain.info while use this: https://blockchain.info/de/wallet/import-wallet

Drag and drop ypur wallet.dat here.

4. Transfer the coins to your new electrum wallet.

There are better ways, like exporting the keys etc. but that's the easiest one.

kermarec (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:33:26 AM

I stop at step 3. When i drag and drop the wallet.dat file, i've got always the same errors, captcha false ( it's not false ) and "unexpected end from file server", even if the password is false, true, whatever i type.
Thanks for helping
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:46:13 AM

I don't know what could cause this error. In that case, you best wait for QT to Finnish syncing. Then you can transfer you coins from there.

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 08:24:00 AM

I stop at step 3. When i drag and drop the wallet.dat file, i've got always the same errors, captcha false ( it's not false ) and "unexpected end from file server", even if the password is false, true, whatever i type.
Thanks for helping

Just a friendly reminder, don't forget to backup (or memorize) the seed (12 words) of your electrum wallet, and use a good password.
kermarec (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:34:44 AM

I don't know what could cause this error. In that case, you best wait for QT to Finnish syncing. Then you can transfer you coins from there.

QT says it is syncing with network 87 weeks backward, and nothing more, i don't think it's doing something, no error message but my balance is 0.
How long can it last ?
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:45:02 AM

Like I said. It can take a few days. Your QT has to download & verfy every singel Block.

Another Option would be to export the private Key and import it into a new Wallet.

To do so, simply go to help--> debug -->console.

If you have already encrypted your wallet. Tipe:
Code:
walletpassphrase "your walletpassphrase here" 600

dumpprivkey [Address you have transferred the coins to]

If not, tipe:

Code:
dumpprivkey [Address you have transferred the coins to]

Now you get the priv. key.

Note it.

Make a new Wallet a blockchain.info. There is an import option somewhere, where you can import the priv. key.

Transfer the coins to your new electrum wallet, or keep using the online Wallet (not recommended).

kermarec (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

It has worked, i've got my coins back in the online wallet. Got to send them into my new wallet...
Many thanks !

Eric
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: