Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:47:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to use a PSU to power cards from 2 different rigs?  (Read 397 times)
thehun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1212
Merit: 1037

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:55:13 PM

Here is the situation:

I have 2 rigs with 3 7950s on each of them and 2 Corsair CX750 PSUs. The first rig is running perfectly with the first PSU (crashes sometimes but very seldom) but on the second one I can't run more than 2 cards at a time. If I plug in the 3rd one the system crashes after a few minutes of mining (and I can't turn it on again until I have turned off the PSU and waited for some time).

I'm thinking about getting a 3rd CX750 to power one card from each rig to take some work away from the other 2 PSUs, but I'm not sure if this can be done safely. My interpretation is that if I power the risers and the cards with the 3rd PSU (so they don't draw any energy from the other PSUs) there won't be any electrical connection between the two rigs. But of course I might be missing something. I'm using 30cm powered risers for all cards.
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:32:22 PM

Here is the situation:

I have 2 rigs with 3 7950s on each of them and 2 Corsair CX750 PSUs. The first rig is running perfectly with the first PSU (crashes sometimes but very seldom) but on the second one I can't run more than 2 cards at a time. If I plug in the 3rd one the system crashes after a few minutes of mining (and I can't turn it on again until I have turned off the PSU and waited for some time).

I'm thinking about getting a 3rd CX750 to power one card from each rig to take some work away from the other 2 PSUs, but I'm not sure if this can be done safely. My interpretation is that if I power the risers and the cards with the 3rd PSU (so they don't draw any energy from the other PSUs) there won't be any electrical connection between the two rigs. But of course I might be missing something. I'm using 30cm powered risers for all cards.

Very electrically risky, just get a 1000w PSU.
thehun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1212
Merit: 1037

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:42:22 PM

Here is the situation:

Very electrically risky, just get a 1000w PSU.

Makes sense. But it's not so easy to find a PSU with sufficient PCI-e outputs at a reasonable price (and it's quite hard to get splitters here)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: