Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 06:54:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modify SHA256 miner to mine Scrypt.  (Read 604 times)
msbtc (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:31:12 PM

From the information I've come across, litecoin source contains SHA256 algorithms, only the memory requirement is more.

Why not add massive 500GB of non ECC memory to a server board and some bitcoin mining chips?

Am I missing something or is 3TH of scrypt hashing power on ltc just not worth the effort to any dev out there?
Starscream

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:18:44 PM

From the information I've come across, litecoin source contains SHA256 algorithms, only the memory requirement is more.

Why not add massive 500GB of non ECC memory to a server board and some bitcoin mining chips?

Am I missing something or is 3TH of scrypt hashing power on ltc just not worth the effort to any dev out there?

The essence of what you wrote is true: Scrypt does require a massive amount of memory to be hashed, however, this cannot be added to current BTC ASIC equipment because Scrypt is using a modified version of the SHA-256 algorithm, and since the ASIC is specific to the SHA-256 algorithm, it won't be able to work with the modified version, AKA, Scrypt.

Atleast, to my understanding.
msbtc (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 08:27:17 AM

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it-
I'd be grateful if anyone has some any informational links.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: