Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:44:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your top 5 altcoins - in order?  (Read 26356 times)
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:56:39 PM

LTC and NMC, maybe Dimecoin because it won't die, is SHA3,  will make you money if you buy now and has a genuinely honest dev.

DVC perhaps, but weird that it keeps getting dumped. Is this the cult of merge mining cast-offs from those using cloud services?

DVC needs a strategy, but perhaps it has one.

A fifth .... hmmm .... I'll give it to DRK, just because it makes up the numbers.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 11:11:31 PM

Prerequisites for a coin to be legit: 100% POW, innovative, fair launch, 100% open source

Top 5 Coins meetings these criteria, in chronological order:

LiteCoin
- established ecosystem, critical mass, created by Charles Lee of Google/CoinBase

PrimeCoin - POW is trippy math research, created by Sunny King of Peercoin

Monero - ring signatures provide true privacy, unlike silly obfuscation-based CLOAK/DARK/BLACK/XC

Boolberry - ring signatures with significant tweaks/possible improvements over Monero

CryptoNite - two major breakthroughs in one coin: safe zero-confirmation transactions and prunable mini-blockchains

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 11:43:35 PM

Prerequisites for a coin to be legit: 100% POW, innovative, fair launch, 100% open source
Monero - ring signatures provide true privacy, unlike silly obfuscation-based CLOAK/DARK/BLACK/XC
-snip-
So you're issue with Darkcoin is that it is not yet fully open source correct?
Are you sure you want to be throwing out words like that? Have you checked out DRK after the update?
The anonymity part of it works, and more is planned for the next one. Indeed Monero does provide privacy but so does DRK. I guess people should wait for this guy https://twitter.com/anonymouscoin to release his review of the code.
I'd put my bets at DRK and Monero right now, while there are a few other interesting other coins.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Abomb

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 11:46:04 PM

NXT
BitsharesX
Ether
Namecoin
Peercoin
freshprince

Activity: 116
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 05:33:40 AM

Bitcoin(duuuuh?)
Bytecoin
Litecoin
Peercoin
NXT

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 03:46:09 PM

-snip-
Are you sure you want to be throwing out words like that? Have you checked out DRK after the update?
The anonymity part of it works, and more is planned for the next one. Indeed Monero does provide privacy but so does DRK. I guess people should wait for this guy https://twitter.com/anonymouscoin to release his review of the code.
I'd put my bets at DRK and Monero right now, while there are a few other interesting other coins.

Darkcoin fails all four prerequisite tests for legitimacy, not just one!

100% open source?  No.  Dark fails this one.
100% POW?  No.  Dark fails here too.
Innovative?  No.  Obfuscation based coins are not innovative and just copy silly mixers; ring signatures are true innovation.
Fair launch?  No.  Dark fails again, thanks to it's massive pre/insta mine and bogus emission curve.

This is why the market is punishing greedy/naive Dark bagholders and rewarding savvy Monero investors.

And let's not even get into the hilarity of losing your Dark in a Madoffnode Ponzi collapse, as happened to DZ's suckers inves-durrs.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
BigBoozie

Activity: 52
Merit: 50

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:22:54 PM

NEM
NXT
NODE
and I dont really care for those less transparent fast soaring coins, cause they will go down as always, so Im not gonna mention them. Tongue
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 06:27:06 PM

Innovative?  No.  Obfuscation based coins are not innovative and just copy silly mixers; ring signatures are true innovation.
Fair launch?  No.  Dark fails again, thanks to it's massive pre/insta mine and bogus emission curve.

This is why the market is punishing greedy/naive Dark bagholders and rewarding savvy Monero investors.

And let's not even get into the hilarity of losing your Dark in a Madoffnode Ponzi collapse, as happened to DZ's suckers inves-durrs.
You can't compare basic obfuscation based coins with Darksend+. You're making a mistake there. The anonymity is proven to work, you should wait for the audit from K.A. then if you doubt it.
It will be open source after the audit or RC5 so it's not that far away.
People tend to say that Bitcoin was instamined because Satoshi mined so many coins don't they? The same could be said here.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:33:31 PM

-snip-

It'll be funny to watch you blather about "true innovation" when Darkcoin goes open source and captures the vast majority of the anonymity market. Try explaining what makes the coin anonymous to those who couldn't care less ( basically everyone outside of programmers and cryptographers).
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:37:40 PM

100% open source?  No.  Dark fails this one.
100% POW?  No.  Dark fails here too.
Innovative?  No.  Obfuscation based coins are not innovative and just copy silly mixers; ring signatures are true innovation.
Fair launch?  No.  Dark fails again, thanks to it's massive pre/insta mine and bogus emission curve.

You can't compare basic obfuscation based coins with Darksend+. You're making a mistake there. The anonymity is proven to work, you should wait for the audit from K.A. then if you doubt it.
It will be open source after the audit or RC5 so it's not that far away.
People tend to say that Bitcoin was instamined because Satoshi mined so many coins don't they? The same could be said here.
I wouldn't call these "instamines" equivalent, as Satoshi was basically the only one mining, whereas with Darkcoin, the launch was announced and many people mined. Although to his credit,  Satoshi did invite others to mine at some point, it was just that no one cared to do so.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:42:27 PM

there isn't a top 5 imho, too much trash for that
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 09:13:05 PM

It'll be funny to watch you blather about "true innovation" when Darkcoin goes open source and captures the vast majority of the anonymity market. Try explaining what makes the coin anonymous to those who couldn't care less ( basically everyone outside of programmers and cryptographers).

Even when Dark releases its code, it still fails the "100%" requirement for open source, along with the other three tests for legitimacy (innovation, fair launch, POW).

Monero and Boolberry's ring signatures are the only technology available for cryptographically provable privacy.

The rest, Dark included, rely on variations of mix and shuffle based obfuscation.  Security in obscurity?  No thanks, but you kids have fun.

You keep blathering about what astonishing feats of difficult, unprecedented computer science and cryptography Dark is 'gonna' do in the future, 'gonna' do in two weeks, and 'gonna' do SoonTM.

That makes Dark yet another GonnaCoin, powered by hype and hope, just like Cloak, XC, and Black.

OK, to be fair, Dark is actually the market leader in GonnaCoin scams. 

Grin  That's why Dark was voted King Shitcoin:

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
nsimmons

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 09:25:44 PM

Even when Dark releases its code, it still fails the "100%" requirement for open source, along with the other three tests for legitimacy (innovation, fair launch, POW).

Monero and Boolberry's ring signatures are the only technology available for cryptographically provable privacy.

The rest, Dark included, rely on variations of mix and shuffle based obfuscation.  Security in obscurity?  No thanks, but you kids have fun.

You keep blathering about what astonishing feats of difficult, unprecedented computer science and cryptography Dark is 'gonna' do in the future, 'gonna' do in two weeks, and 'gonna' do SoonTM.

That makes Dark yet another GonnaCoin, powered by hype and hope, just like Cloak, XC, and Black.

This is nothing but flat out lies. Gonna release x11, gonna release dgw, gonna release dark send, gonna release dark send+, gonna release rc4, gonna have atlas perform audit. Shall I continue?

You have done nothing but completely discredit yourself. If you only talking points are easily disproved lies I suggest everyone just ignore you.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 09:31:27 PM

You're wrong. Stop talking nonsense. Evan promised anonymity with RC4. Did we get it? Yes we did.
An audit from K.Atlas was promised. Did we get it? He's working on it right now and made a update recently.
RC5 is next and after which the coin is going open source. Anything else that you are concerned with?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Ultros

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 09:32:30 PM

Monero
Boolberry
Litecoin
NXT
...Hard to pick a 5th..maybe Namecoin or Peercoin, if you're really eager to diversify.
foxkyu

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 12:41:25 AM

my top 5 coin in order:
1. apex
2. cinni
3. vrc
4. sync
5. shopx

actually i have more in my order, but you just want 5 coin