Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:47:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How 'Anonymous' is Bitcoin?  (Read 9091 times)
spyro (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★ BitClave ICO. Join NOW ★

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:42:28 PM
Last edit: April 14, 2014, 09:05:56 PM by spyro

We all know it's not anonymous, but curious to hear opinions from the experts around BCT.

What steps need to be taken to make it anonymous?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:43:21 PM

i'd like to know how you are going to get a custom designed tor-qt!!!???

not happening mate.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
halcyon

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:13:13 PM

For instance, would running behind Tor protect me?

use some Coinjoin service... many of them around

Directbet livebetting
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

http://altoidnerd.com

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 10:33:27 PM

For instance, would running behind Tor protect me?

Ask Ross Ulbricht what he thinks.

Do you even mine?
http://altoidnerd.com 
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:39:06 AM

Not entirely. Tor will hide your IP address, but not your Bitcoin address(es). Anyone who knows one of your Bitcoin addresses (eg, because they paid you, or you paid them) can see all past and future transactions involving that address (though they won't necessarily know what those transactions are for), and may provide that information to the authorities. Using a new address for each time your receive coins will reduce the number of transactions you can linked to, and you can use mixing services to further conceal the true origin of your transactions, though the fact the you used a mixing service may still be evident, even if nobody can tell where your mixed coins went.

i'd like to know how you are going to get a custom designed tor-qt!!!???

not happening mate.
What are you talking about? Bitcoin-Qt has Tor support built in. If you're looking for a GUI for Tor itself that uses Qt, I suggest Vidalia.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:48:59 AM

Bitcoin is not anonymous, was never designed to be. Just the owners of Silk Road had to persuade it was so they could sell their "wares" to people, and those people thought they were safe. Very funny DPR. The joke is on you now.
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:28:48 AM

Bitcoin is not anonymous, was never designed to be. Just the owners of Silk Road had to persuade it was so they could sell their "wares" to people, and those people thought they were safe. Very funny DPR. The joke is on you now.

^THIS
I feel self regulation is the only way a currency can work properly.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
spyro (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 04:02:00 AM

Some very interesting thoughts here. Opened my mind up a little.

genjix
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 05:13:23 AM

With stealth and CoinJoin, Bitcoin is basically anonymous. These concepts are workable and will soon be delivered.

https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Stealth

CoinJoin is already working since ages in all different ways and through tor too. You can use stealth using SX (command line tools): https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/Sx/Stealth

These tools are not yet readily available for the common user but they will be.

Together with other new emerging innovations, we will have decentralised uncensored crypto markets within this year.
CryptoHits

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 07:10:13 AM

It is my understanding that any bitcoin address inside of one wallet can eventually be associated with any other addresses when coins are sent.

That said. If you take coins from wallet A and send them to almost any service that sents out payments in bulk for withdraw requests, this effectively anonymizes your coins in most cases. At this point all you need to do is withdraw to a wallet (Wallet B if you will) seperate from your original one and the coins should have few ties to the original.

Unless you tell someone or advertise or are found in possession of the private keys controlling a wallet there is no way to conclusively prove any particular individual owns any particular said address. Sending someone coins is effectively telling them you own that address.
halcyon

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:27:19 AM

It is my understanding that any bitcoin address inside of one wallet can eventually be associated with any other addresses when coins are sent.

I don´t think this is true. How do you think you would be able to link one address of a wallet to another address of the wallet  Huh

Directbet livebetting
reymarkperry

Activity: 201

https://rangersprotocol.com/

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 07:01:23 AM

It’s anonymous because no one controls it. It is not regulated by the bank or government, so it is anonymously circulating in the market.

|   Facebook   |     Twitter     |                    R A N G E R S                    |    Discord    |    Medium    |
|    Telegram    |                    ─────     PROTOCOL     ─────                    |    Gitbook    |
████  ███  ██  █          VIRTUAL WORLDS BLOCKCHAIN INFRASTRUCTURE          █  ██  ███  ████
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 07:05:08 AM

Grin It's anoymous because you dont have to give your NAME or email on transactions...
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 07:45:00 AM

If you know how to use Gold 1.0/Gold 2.0 anonymously, it is anonymous. If you don't know, it is not.
spyro (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 05:01:20 AM

Gold? is that a private tor like software?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 03:58:36 PM

I don´t think this is true. How do you think you would be able to link one address of a wallet to another address of the wallet  Huh

It depends on the wallet you are using.  Here's an example with the Bitcoin-Qt wallet:

Imagine you create a brand new wallet.  Then you create 2 addresses in the wallet (address A and address B).  Next you receive 1 BTC at address A, and then receive another 1 BTC at address B.

Now, if you want to send 1.2 BTC from this wallet to somewhere, the wallet will create a transaction that spends both the output that was sent to address A and the address that was sent to address B.  Both of these outputs will appear as inputs in the same transaction.  Then the wallet will create an output sending 1.2 BTC to your intended recipient as well as a second output sending 0.8 BTC (less any transaction fee you might be paying) back to a brand new address that your wallet creates for you and keeps hidden (the new bitcoin address is kept hidden, not the 0.8 bitcoins) from you.  Finally the wallet will provide 2 signature using the private keys from both you address A and your address B.

Since a single transaction has signatures from both address A and address B, it can be inferred that a single entity very likely has control of both addresses.  The addresses are therefore "linked together".

freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:40:41 PM

It’s anonymous because no one controls it. It is not regulated by the bank or government, so it is anonymously circulating in the market.
No, it is pseudonymous, the blockchain and ALL transactions are public, any address ever used is public, there's no way to hide that, it's about whether you can be connected to the address or transactions that counts...

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
halcyon

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 03:55:49 PM

It depends on the wallet you are using.  Here's an example with the Bitcoin-Qt wallet:

Imagine you create a brand new wallet.  Then you create 2 addresses in the wallet (address A and address B).  Next you receive 1 BTC at address A, and then receive another 1 BTC at address B.

Now, if you want to send 1.2 BTC from this wallet to somewhere, the wallet will create a transaction that spends both the output that was sent to address A and the address that was sent to address B.  Both of these outputs will appear as inputs in the same transaction.  Then the wallet will create an output sending 1.2 BTC to your intended recipient as well as a second output sending 0.8 BTC (less any transaction fee you might be paying) back to a brand new address that your wallet creates for you and keeps hidden (the new bitcoin address is kept hidden, not the 0.8 bitcoins) from you.  Finally the wallet will provide 2 signature using the private keys from both you address A and your address B.

Since a single transaction has signatures from both address A and address B, it can be inferred that a single entity very likely has control of both addresses.  The addresses are therefore "linked together".

very good explanation. Do I also have the same "problem" when I use e.g. Electrum or some other client?

Directbet livebetting
spyro (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:34:46 AM

Thank you DannyHamilton. You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

bittyweb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 07:12:34 AM

Dany Hamilton answered perfectly for this question.

But the answer is, Bitcoin is anonymous since you dont need to give any personal info.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: