Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:39:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Currencies of developing countries are falling - where's the effect of bitcoin?  (Read 866 times)
C. Bergmann (OP)

Activity: 803
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:00:05 PM

According to the news currencies of india, argentinia, turkey, south africa and russia are crashing.

I don't see any effect on bitcoin prices. Did I oversee something?

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███
▀███▄       ▀████▀       ▄███▀
▀█████▄▄            ▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀████▀▀
Gabro███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
WHITEPAPER
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TOKEN SALES
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:41:26 PM

According to the news currencies of india, argentinia, turkey, south africa and russia are crashing.

I don't see any effect on bitcoin prices. Did I oversee something?

Most of the emerging markets have seen a big fall in money flowing into them in the last 6-8 months.  It's currently catching up with their currencies.  What effect will this have on Bitcoin?  For those that can, they will want to convert as much as their own fiat into BTC to protect the value.  The problem with this of course is most of the above listed countries highly restrict that.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:59:28 AM

I don't think cryptocurrency is something you buy in a panic right now, the perception of bitcoin as a safe haven is not there, even among enthusiasts.

Despite that, the ability to buy any currency has improved recently in Argentina (rules relaxed, but they were widely ignored anyway), and there's clearly popular support there. I bet a few brave individuals will be buying BTC in Argentina, but dollars are going to look more attractive in the short term.

South Africa is surprisingly muted, it's a reasonably developed country, and they've certainly got a pervasive mobile phone network. Yet poorer India looks like it's more enthusiastic about bitcoin, and that's in the face of a tough political climate for cryptocurrency (and hard money in general).

Turkey's been quiet in media terms, but there's been alot of noise in the media otherwise in Turkey, and this is big game stuff. So it's highly significant in my mind that there's even a few merchants marked on Coinmap.org. The ATMs (yes, apparently there's more than one) at Istanbul international airport is unprecedented, that's gotta have been approved at a high level of government and the military, which is interesting when you consider the military and the government aren't said to be on good terms right now.

Russia's market is probably pretty already as developed as it could be, there's a fair amount of awareness and usage already in Russia. Can't see a big Russia driven rally somehow.

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: