Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:08:19 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I Quit My Day Job (Let's Talk Bitcoin!)  (Read 3742 times)
btcbible (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

Coinality.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 12:34:23 AM

Towards the end of the day before this past New Year’s holiday at work, my supervisors pulled me aside for “a little chat.” I knew what this was about. It was a long time coming.

We sat down in a conference room, where I was given a copy of my very first writeup. Now, I was coming up on my second year as a “Senior Leasing Coordinator” at a very stable and high-paying job. Don’t let the title fool you; most my work was mundane, mind-melting administrative work. I reviewed the writeup with my supervisors, who had itemized a list of over a dozen examples of poor performance, including “taking a late or long lunch returning after 2pm severely impacts team productivity.” I bit my tongue, listened, and acknowledged a decline in work performance. At the end of the meeting I was asked to review the writeup, agree in writing to improve my work performance, and return the signed document the following day.

Instead, I went home and wrote the following resignation letter...

Read more: http://letstalkbitcoin.com/why-i-quit-my-day-job/

HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:43:30 AM

Nice one.  Many others here are waiting for that same day. 
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:51:22 AM

Towards the end of the day before this past New Year’s holiday at work, my supervisors pulled me aside for “a little chat.” I knew what this was about. It was a long time coming.

We sat down in a conference room, where I was given a copy of my very first writeup. Now, I was coming up on my second year as a “Senior Leasing Coordinator” at a very stable and high-paying job. Don’t let the title fool you; most my work was mundane, mind-melting administrative work. I reviewed the writeup with my supervisors, who had itemized a list of over a dozen examples of poor performance, including “taking a late or long lunch returning after 2pm severely impacts team productivity.” I bit my tongue, listened, and acknowledged a decline in work performance. At the end of the meeting I was asked to review the writeup, agree in writing to improve my work performance, and return the signed document the following day.

Jeez!  That mirrors my own experience in a whole bunch of ways.  Fortunately I was not in a situation where my poor performance impacted other group members because I worked primarily alone and on an increasingly useless project that everyone wished to die (myself more than anyone.)  My independence and focus was very much by design and that little feat of engineering predated Bitcoin or at least my hearing about it.  But for nearly a year I spent more time reading this forum and thinking about things than I did actually doing anything associated with my job.  My jaw dropped when my boss invited me back if I felt so inclined.  All of my experiences through life have been that it is just best to man up and accept deficiencies in a straightforward way.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:51:28 AM

Hope you have a lot of btc Smiley
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:57:02 AM

That's a big decision to make and I hope you have enough Bitcoin to keep you going!

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 01:27:31 AM

Work is work, man. Nobody goes to work because it's fun and exciting. I hope you have enough to live on and good luck.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
descarte

Activity: 195

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 01:34:17 AM

great article. speaks the heart of many people here..
bitcerto

Activity: 151

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:05:52 AM

Outstanding story! You've set an example I think many can follow.
mediaspree

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:30:20 AM

He says he is able to take on the risk because he doesn't have a mortgage or mouths to feed but I see a cute pooch in his profile picture. Won't someone think of the doge?!  Cheesy
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:26:17 AM

Work is work, man. Nobody goes to work because it's fun and exciting. I hope you have enough to live on and good luck.

So true for 99% of people. Sure a few people have fun doing their jobs, just never met any Smiley
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:51:01 AM

So true for 99% of people. Sure a few people have fun doing their jobs, just never met any Smiley

So ture. Sad
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:51:29 AM

I've enjoyed every job I can remember.  I've been able to make most of them fun, challenging, and learn some stuff.  Digging ditches was one of the most fun things I ever did.  I got to operate equipment when people pretended not to look (union operators were supposed to be behind the controls), and pretty quickly ended up spending a lot of time looking through the transit when people (including myself) realized I could do it.

When I went to work in Silicon Valley I ended up working 6/10's and 6/12's quite a lot.  It was simply the most interesting thing to me.  The task that were not interesting would get in the way of those I wanted to do so it was even enjoyable to get those out of the way.  Only at my last job which was not a start-up did I run out of steam.  Then I just moved on (in part thanks to Bitcoin.)

The key is to just move on when something gets boring and/or it is no longer possible to make it interesting.  Part of this was because I worked my way through school and many of my jobs were temporary by design.  For those that were not, a key element is to stay out of debt and responsibility free.  I do realize that not everyone has the combination of luck and forward looking nature to pull this off.  But I'd say that at least 50% of the people I've worked with in almost any field I've been exposed to could find a way to have fun and enjoy the job.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:53:06 AM

I've enjoyed every job I can remember.  I've been able to make most of them fun, challenging, and learn some stuff.  Digging ditches was one of the most fun things I ever did.  I got to operate equipment when people pretended not to look (union operators were supposed to be behind the controls), and pretty quickly ended up spending a lot of time looking through the transit when people (including myself) realized I could do it.

When I went to work in Silicon Valley I ended up working 6/10's and 6/12's quite a lot.  It was simply the most interesting thing to me.  The task that were not interesting would get in the way of those I wanted to do so it was even enjoyable to get those out of the way.  Only at my last job which was not a start-up did I run out of steam.  Then I just moved on (in part thanks to Bitcoin.)

The key is to just move on when something gets boring and/or it is no longer possible to make it interesting.  Part of this was because I worked my way through school and many of my jobs were temporary by design.  For those that were not, a key element is to stay out of debt and responsibility free.  I do realize that not everyone has the combination of luck and forward looking nature to pull this off.  But I'd say that at least 50% of the people I've worked with in almost any field I've been exposed to could find a way to have fun and enjoy the job.

Yeah I think you are right. The key is to move on once you stop enjoying it. But people with families need security. It gets hard to keep moving jobs if you have kids / mortgages etc.
ArpFlush

Activity: 623

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:29:39 AM

Inspiring story! I wish good luck and lot's of succes on your new pathway.  Smiley

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
ArpFlush

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:32:11 AM

Yeah I think you are right. The key is to move on once you stop enjoying it. But people with families need security. It gets hard to keep moving jobs if you have kids / mortgages etc.
Fully agree! Am on the lookout too but like you say...mortgage has to be paid too. Still I'm working on it  Smiley

djarot

Activity: 350
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:36:27 AM

I am still thinking about that, don't have plan yet Smiley
gloine

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:55:12 AM

It's a true story right? I mean it's not made up for a nice read... Grin
ArpFlush

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:57:27 AM

Hm, maybe I could start a computer gear website that accepts BTC. In my country there's none  Grin and I could do it via dropshipping. Hopaa

CoinLearn

Activity: 329
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:06:07 PM

Awesome ...a few months ago I did the same. Welcome to the Bitcoin Dev force. Be independent.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:27:56 PM

So ture. Sad
I know people who like their jobs, but those are scientists. My gf for example goes to science meetings and conferences around the world, gives speeches and has a lot of free time after. I can think of many jobs I'd like to do like a traveller or helicopter pilot.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: