Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 06:23:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Supply Issue? R9 290x  (Read 1541 times)
granitepeaker (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 01:58:47 AM

So I'm totally new at this mining stuff.  I've got a Gigabyte R9 290x with 3 built-in fans to the GPU. In cgminer I'm only getting 16kh/s with the intensity 8-11. If I change the intensity to 12+ then my battery backup starts a constant beep and then my computer shuts off.  In the meantime I saw that my has went up to 650.  My power supply is only 750w, so I'm pretty sure it's the culprit, but I just wanted to make sure before ordering a larger one.
Prolifik

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:55:48 AM

750w should be fine if it is a quality psu. Single rail or multi? 80Plus rating?
Have you tried running without battery backup?

I run 2 r9 280x cards per 850w psu.

-I 13 will give you 600+ kh/s with proper tuning that card should get 800+ kh/s

granitepeaker (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:01:42 AM

Corsair TX750 with an 80 plus rating.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3102

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 05:04:25 AM

So I'm totally new at this mining stuff.  I've got a Gigabyte R9 290x with 3 built-in fans to the GPU. In cgminer I'm only getting 16kh/s with the intensity 8-11. If I change the intensity to 12+ then my battery backup starts a constant beep and then my computer shuts off.  In the meantime I saw that my has went up to 650.  My power supply is only 750w, so I'm pretty sure it's the culprit, but I just wanted to make sure before ordering a larger one.

If your battery backup is beeping, it sounds like that is the problem.  Your video card isn't getting enough power.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
granitepeaker (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:33:14 AM

I will try it again without the battery backup tomorrow. The card itself was suppose to need a minimum of 600w. It's in my personal PC so I have 3 hard drives, two DVD drives and USB devices hooked up.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 08:12:44 AM

post information about the PSU, brand, model, how old is it, etc...

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
mrmork666

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 08:26:03 AM

Once you get the power problem solved you can use these settings to get around 977kh/s

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
cgminer --scrypt  -o xx -u user.worker -p xx -I 20 -g 1 -w 512 --thread-concurrency 32765 --lookup-gap 2 --auto-fan --gpu-engine 1025 --gpu-memclock 1500

Join The Zeitcoin Movement
Zeit : MhcEMb6YvZCnb4TPnti74p4s6mNiRvGMbQ | Ltc : LVAfAYf3dr47v5JbVRbGHfqUfKPLTx9Vnk
granitepeaker (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:35:16 PM

As mentioned earlier the PSU is a Corsair TX750 with an 80 plus rating.  Purchased August of 2011.  Exact purchase name "Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-750TXV2".  I'm not sure if it's single rail or multi.  It's not modular if that's what you mean. Definitely regret that as it makes it look messy.

I didn't get a chance to check this morning if it would work without the battery backup.  I did take a look at the battery backup and it's a cyberpower 625VA.   Does 625VA equate to only 375 watts?? So if I ever want to do another battery backup then it would need to be at least 1400VA?

I ran an online check before to see what power psu I would need factoring in the gpu and how many devices I have and it was 750w requirement and that's what my current psu is, so I'm right on the edge.  PSUs aren't cheap so I really didn't want to rush out and buy another.  From the sounds of it I may not need to.

@Prolifik  I guess I don't understand how you get two r9 280x cards on just one 850w psu?  Do the gpus not say that they need 600w requirement per card.  Does mining at a high intensity not fully use the card's wattage?

@mrmork666   Thanks for those settings!  Do you just put those in your .bat file? or do you run your .bat file and then change the settings once cgminer is running?  Should I mess around at all with the gigabyte oc guru?
mrmork666

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:04:15 PM

As mentioned earlier the PSU is a Corsair TX750 with an 80 plus rating.  Purchased August of 2011.  Exact purchase name "Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-750TXV2".  I'm not sure if it's single rail or multi.  It's not modular if that's what you mean. Definitely regret that as it makes it look messy.

I didn't get a chance to check this morning if it would work without the battery backup.  I did take a look at the battery backup and it's a cyberpower 625VA.   Does 625VA equate to only 375 watts?? So if I ever want to do another battery backup then it would need to be at least 1400VA?

I ran an online check before to see what power psu I would need factoring in the gpu and how many devices I have and it was 750w requirement and that's what my current psu is, so I'm right on the edge.  PSUs aren't cheap so I really didn't want to rush out and buy another.  From the sounds of it I may not need to.

@Prolifik  I guess I don't understand how you get two r9 280x cards on just one 850w psu?  Do the gpus not say that they need 600w requirement per card.  Does mining at a high intensity not fully use the card's wattage?

@mrmork666   Thanks for those settings!  Do you just put those in your .bat file? or do you run your .bat file and then change the settings once cgminer is running?  Should I mess around at all with the gigabyte oc guru?

just put that as a .bat file on the cgminer folder and run it from that wiut any additional tweaking on oc guru Wink
also your power is enough for sure
i have seen ppl running 2* 290x on 750w psu without any problems
i am running r9 270x + r9  290x + quad core processor on my computer with 750w psu without any problems stock volts

Zeit : MhcEMb6YvZCnb4TPnti74p4s6mNiRvGMbQ | Ltc : LVAfAYf3dr47v5JbVRbGHfqUfKPLTx9Vnk
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:10:25 PM

No 280x or 290 takes 600W, but that is the recommended power supply for one card and a system. If it's a mining rig, it likely doesn't have all the extra load requirements of a consumer level PC.

A 290 should be around 250-375W, and a 280 comes in around 200-300W. All depending on how hard you want to push, or how much time you want to put into undervolting.

Your power supply is single rail, and should run that card just fine. No idea what you are doing wrong...

Mrmork666 - There is NO SUCH THING as W 512 in cgminer. How do you plan to give advice, if you've never even read the readme?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
mrmork666

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:13:13 PM

No 280x or 290 takes 600W, but that is the recommended power supply for one card and a system. If it's a mining rig, it likely doesn't have all the extra load requirements of a consumer level PC.

A 290 should be around 250-375W, and a 280 comes in around 200-300W. All depending on how hard you want to push, or how much time you want to put into undervolting.

Your power supply is single rail, and should run that card just fine. No idea what you are doing wrong...

Mrmork666 - There is NO SUCH THING as W 256 in cgminer. How do you plan to give advice, if you've never even read the readme?

i took that setting from site with ppl reported results
and his card was there with those settings + results
http://www.overclock.net/t/1437876/290-and-290x-litecoin-mining-performance

everyone there must be wrong then?
atleast the settings reported for sapphire r9 290x works as said on my card Wink

granitepeaker (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:15:52 PM

@mrmork666    Thanks again for your help.  I've got an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.2 on a Asus M4A87TD EVO AMD870 mobo with 16gb ram.  Still sounds like it shouldn't be a problem to run just one gpu.  I'll being testing again without the battery backup and with your settings as soon as I get home from work!
pontiacg5

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:45:34 PM

Mrmork666 - There is NO SUCH THING as W 256 in cgminer. How do you plan to give advice, if you've never even read the readme?

i took that setting from site with ppl reported results
and his card was there with those settings + results
http://www.overclock.net/t/1437876/290-and-290x-litecoin-mining-performance

everyone there must be wrong then?
atleast the settings reported for sapphire r9 290x works as said on my card Wink

Yes, they all are wrong and it shows how clueless the scrypt mining community really is. Seems to be nothing but people passing files and configs, hoping they work but not really understanding what they are doing. It's not one particular forum, but all of them. You can check your .bin file and see the w256 section of the file name if you don't believe me. 

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
granitepeaker (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:54:47 PM

@pontiacg5  If you have a better setting for me to use then I'm I'll ears.  This is my card ...
GIGABYTE AMD Radeon R9 290X OC 4GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card
pontiacg5

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:05:09 PM

I don't know what's better for your card, I don't have that card and your exact system setting in front of me.

Wouldn't you like to know where that config file came from? Wouldn't you like to make them yourself?

I have a sapphire 290x. It gets 980kh/s. If you would read the readme and learn to configure yourself I imagine you could get more than a mh/s from that card.

But keep just plugging numbers in from google, that really takes some skill!

mrmork666

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

I don't know what's better for your card, I don't have that card and your exact system setting in front of me.

Wouldn't you like to know where that config file came from? Wouldn't you like to make them yourself?

I have a sapphire 290x. It gets 980kh/s. If you would read the readme and learn to configure yourself I imagine you could get more than a mh/s from that card.

But keep just plugging numbers in from google, that really takes some skill!

yea i can run that card to from the settings at the link i posted 980khs
not as cool as your water cooled thou :/
the -w 256 -w 512 dosnt really matter if you put -w 512 it works as -w 256 what i learned from bit googeling

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: