Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:24:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've lost 50.04 coins, and recovered them. How could it be possible?  (Read 1369 times)
legkodymov (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2011, 06:30:57 AM

I've had disk crash recently, which caused wallet loss. I was 50.04 coins on it

But I have backup copy of it with zero balance, so I restored my wallet.

To my supprise 50.04 coins appeared again. Is this really possible? Did bitcoin downloaded my coins from network?

Thank you!
Anatoly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2011, 06:40:11 AM

All you need to spend your coins is your private keys which are in your wallet.dat file. One copy will work as well as another.

You don't really download the coins. It's more like you download a list of which addresses contain coins and the your software notices "Hey, that's an address I have the key for" and tells you the total balance of all such addresses.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2011, 06:57:14 AM

I've had disk crash recently, which caused wallet loss. I was 50.04 coins on it

But I have backup copy of it with zero balance, so I restored my wallet.

To my supprise 50.04 coins appeared again. Is this really possible? Did bitcoin downloaded my coins from network?

Thank you!
Anatoly.

Yes, and your wallet file has pre-generated keys for future use too.  So that backup could restore future lost coins you have not yet even received, if you were to suffer another crash.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 12, 2011, 09:55:57 AM

Additional information:

http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Key_pool

https://www.bitcoin.org/smf/index.php?topic=1414.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █