Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:14:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: my mtgox account has been robbed this night.  (Read 3389 times)
mcleo

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:47:41 PM

Is it possible that MtGox is starting to steal from their own members wallets before they get sued big FIAT dollars?
The Bitcoin will remain untouchable, but all of the $ will be taken from that after a class action lawsuit.  How can one explain 36,700 stolen Bitcoins? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quix

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:04:03 PM

Anything is possible, I wouldn't trust MTGox with anything right now. The rumour is that they don't actually have the money to pay their customers because they've been paying operating costs (including lawsuits) using customer funds.
mpattison

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:12:09 PM

I've got more than enough funds sitting in MtGox right now to begin pursuing them via legal action right now.  I am sick to my ****ing stomach because my gut is telling me that I am out an inexplicable amount of money.

Why I kept most of my funds in BTC, that's a question I'll be asking myself for a long, long time.

All I know, is that I am now ALL IN when it comes to pursuing these mother****ers through every single legal alleyway my lawyer will find.  I am currently trying to find a lawyer who specializes in virtual currency (in New York).  If anyone has a connection let me know.

I am not holding my breath thinking that they will magically find enough BTC to give customers theirs back.

I am of the belief that my Bitcoins are gone.

Private investigators, in my experience, are a 100% sure-fire way to waste money and valuable time when it comes to legal battles.  Most evidence they turn up is not permissible in the court-of-law, with that said, I am already trying to brainstorm my attack here.

I am sure I am not alone here, so if anyone wants to team-up and get the ball rolling, shoot me a PM.

Scummy mother****ers will go down.

EDIT: Sorry OP.  Might have hijacked here.
Maybe it was a legit hacker who took your BTC but I wouldn't put it past the OPs of MtGox siphoning their own users money under the table.
adnanabbas

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:24:17 PM

I've got more than enough funds sitting in MtGox right now to begin pursuing them via legal action right now.  I am sick to my ****ing stomach because my gut is telling me that I am out an inexplicable amount of money.

Why I kept most of my funds in BTC, that's a question I'll be asking myself for a long, long time.

All I know, is that I am now ALL IN when it comes to pursuing these mother****ers through every single legal alleyway my lawyer will find.  I am currently trying to find a lawyer who specializes in virtual currency (in New York).  If anyone has a connection let me know.

I am not holding my breath thinking that they will magically find enough BTC to give customers theirs back.

I am of the belief that my Bitcoins are gone.

Private investigators, in my experience, are a 100% sure-fire way to waste money and valuable time when it comes to legal battles.  Most evidence they turn up is not permissible in the court-of-law, with that said, I am already trying to brainstorm my attack here.

I am sure I am not alone here, so if anyone wants to team-up and get the ball rolling, shoot me a PM.

Scummy mother****ers will go down.

EDIT: Sorry OP.  Might have hijacked here.
Maybe it was a legit hacker who took your BTC but I wouldn't put it past the OPs of MtGox siphoning their own users money under the table.

"legit hacker" this sounds so wrong
Crystallas

Activity: 109

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:08:38 AM

May I ask which operating system and browser you are using ?
It *might* give a first hint into the right direction..

FreeBSD(see avatar) and Firefox, doesn't matter. I run all bitcoin related events in a virtual machine. Max security =/= guaranteed protection. Anyways, I've been investigating the issue for some time, and my mail service support gave me a log of all activity. BTC-E alerts email on login, and I received no "BTC-E successful authentication" email which was verified from the logs. This exploit was done outside of my own system.
LeancyBTC

Activity: 184

Bitcoin lovers <3

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:30:22 PM

Has anyone considered this might be MtGox's doing? Given the current situations MtGox is facing with the whole "transaction malleability" issue, could they be transferring all BTC from user accounts into one address for "safe-keeping" until they fix whatever it is they're trying to fix? I do find it kind of strange this so-called hacker stole thirty something thousands worth of Bitcoins and is just letting it sit there. Has anyone tried contacting MtGox directly? Like.. as in person to try to get some answers?
yannis7777

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:39:54 PM

How can we be protected by such scumbags and how do they get access to accounts guys?
The above problem is not a gmail security issue. The user was dumb and clicked a link in an email, falling for the common phishing tactic. Then, because he didnt have 2fa or other protection enabled, the attacker was easily able to take control with a slight bit of social engineering.

Once again, the onus is on the user. If you are smart and take precautions, this will never happen to you.
So by not clicking links or attachments we are safe?

DOGE: DDsZd5Ekyz95ndodQZpChpspR2PstTdNQY
grumpy619

Activity: 546
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:51:40 PM

Wow what I am seeing is that scammers / hackers are responsible for all the BITCOIN drama that is happening. What if this was a plot to destroy BITCOIN at the consumer level. 

▄▄           ▄▄▄▄▄▄             ▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄         ▄▄        ▄▄             ▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄                  ▄             ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ 
██        ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██        ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ███▄       ██        ██          ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄         ██                 ███            ██▀▀▀▀██▄
██       ██▀                ██▀        ▀██       █████▄     ██        ██         ██▀        ▀██        ██                ██ ██           ██     ██
██      ▐█▌                ▐█▌          ▐█▌      ██ ▀███▄   ██        ██        ▐█▌          ▐█▌       ██               ██   ██          ██▄▄▄▄█▀
██      ▐█▌                ▐█▌          ▐█▌      ██   ▀███▄ ██        ██        ▐█▌          ▐█▌       ██              ██     ██         ██▀▀▀▀██▄
██       ██▄                ██▄        ▄██       ██     ▀█████        ██         ██▄      ▄▄  █        ██             ██       ██        ██     ██
██        ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄██        ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀        ██       ▀███        ██          ▀██▄▄▄▄▄ ██          ██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██         ██       ██▄▄▄▄██▀
▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀         ▀▀        ▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀           ▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ 
           ▄▄███▄▄
     ▄▄███████████▄▄
 ▄▄███████████████████▄▄
███████████▌ ▐███████████
██▌ ▐███████ ███████▌ ▐██
███ ████▀▀██ ██▀▀████ ███
███ ██▀▄████ ████▄▀██ ███
███ ██ █████ █████ ██ ███
 ▀▀ ██ █████ █████ ██ ▀▀
     ▀ █████ █████ ▀
         ▀▀█ █▀▀
The Premier   ───────────────────
Digital Asset Management Ecosystem
────────   Powered by the ICNQ Token

[ Color  Paper ]
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
[ White Paper ]

▾  Medium
▾  Twitter
▾  LinkedIn
▾  Subscribe

I C N Q  T O K E N

The Token for Digital Asset Management
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

LIR DEV

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:53:24 PM

Bitcoin transactions are an "Open book"
Just follow the transactions, and google every wallet address....   eventually, you will find an account linked to them.
It CAN be done. You will find them, don't give up.

if you PM me, I may be able to get Nasa/Jpl to help you track the wallets if you are willing to share a bit of reward with them.

There's also...  http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~smeiklejohn/  she can do magic too. She developed a special bitcoin transaction tracking software.

For the future...
1.NEVER store BTC online.
2. Always use 2FA.
3. Never click on links in e-mails, ever. That's the oldest trick in the book.
ewok

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
CumAndGetIt

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:04:37 PM

It doesnt need to be hack or anything, he may have had access to ur Gmail via recovery form,
Crystallas

Activity: 109

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:14:26 AM

I'm still tracking the ledger. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.  Just to be clear, there are two people in this thread talking about the same person, so two different situations, methods, and exchanges.

Here is the other account that these coins have been dumped in. https://blockchain.info/address/185zyps34SJdNYkutTZhAFHkEh1zoX4mCR
As you can see, they are actively being mixed.

I had this bit of coin online, because I was actively exchanging it. Otherwise it would have been in an offline wallet. Email wasn't hacked(which was confirmed by my email provider), unique password was used, and 2FA would have helped(I would have LOVED to use 2FA, I begged for 2FA in chat), but BTC-e's 2FA is still new(maybe post hack) and setup is not in english yet. The last thing I would want to do is assume setup, and have an nonretrievable 2FA password. Oh, and links in email, nope. I didn't. This account was strictly accessed from a virtual machine which is bitcoin only, and only used to make bitcoin transactions.
guugll (OP)

Activity: 190

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 07:49:05 AM

Crystallas: thx for active reply and the recon you have done - good job.

in my case nice move has been done - MtGox refunded my lost $ with BTC as the attacker changed the $ for BTC. I must say i am happy they done this move and it makes an good feeling after i saw lot of issues, i must say this is not an issue anymore for me. Also must say its respectfull move from MtGox.

so in my case i do not hunt any money as i got my stuff back.

But i would like to cooperate on the hunt for the thief as his primary atack was on my gmail account.

Of course setting any and every account mail/exchange to paranoid security as this is beeing wild like back in the cowboys time if you had a piece of gold in your pocket...  so if you wanna ask me: is BTC same like gold - well it certainly look like you need to secure it the same way.

Good luck and be carefull!

guugll (OP)

Activity: 190

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 06:13:28 PM

i was wrong about the situation, just read the logs...

2014/02/06 02:51:24   In      0.00100000 BTC   2.46178942 BTC
Cancelled transfer because of timeout (fee): Bitcoin withdraw to 1Q1Wo95FcXvrhDB5ieDMk52qDs2yNfpySN
2014/02/06 02:51:24   In      2.46000000 BTC   2.46078942 BTC
Cancelled transfer because of timeout: Bitcoin withdraw to 1Q1Wo95FcXvrhDB5ieDMk52qDs2yNfpySN

i got my BTC back because of timeout :-)

EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 07:08:41 PM

This would've never happened if you had a locked withdrawal address. This way even if they hack the account they can only send bitcoins to you, but what do you expect from Gox, it's the worst exchange out there. Some people never learn Sad

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: