Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:32:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I finally figured out how the government can destroy Bitcoin  (Read 4221 times)
pjviitas (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:29:17 PM

Step one: Procure whatever hardware necessary to force difficulty to continue increasing.
Step two: Wait until the power requirements for running a mining setup from a single family dwelling becomes next to impossible.
Step three: Mop up any remaining centralized mining facilities through either taking them over in the name of national security or bombing it into the stone age.
Step four: Profit.

I wouldn't doubt that the NSA already has this kind of scheme cooked up and ready to deploy.
toomsie

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:43:04 PM

If they destroy it, more will come to replace it.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:43:36 PM

Step one: Procure whatever hardware necessary to force difficulty to continue increasing.
Step two: Wait until the power requirements for running a mining setup from a single family dwelling becomes next to impossible.
Step three: Mop up any remaining centralized mining facilities through either taking them over in the name of national security or bombing it into the stone age.

I wouldn't doubt that the NSA already has this kind of scheme cooked up and ready to deploy.

Psht. Gobbledigook. Here's how you kill Bitcoin:

Step 1: Shut down the exchanges.

Step 2: There is no step 2
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 03:56:27 PM

I seldom use the term but...  Lol.

You are going to shut down every exchange in every jurisdiction in the world, including localbit, craigslist, irc?

Outlawing bitcoin trading would send the price to the moon. No sense arguing that point, name a thing that costs less on the black market than it costs in a free market. One thing...

As for OP I came to the same conclusion, about the major pools anyway. That is why i put money in VTC. I dont know if they will fly, but they are moving the ball towards decentralizing again, surely a moving target but altcoin will survive even if bitcoin dies. But i do not really expect the gov to kill it, just regulate it eventually.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:59:22 PM

I guess difficulty will go down wena govt stops mining under its demography.

MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:09:28 PM

Unrealistic not every government would want to destroy Bitcoin so there would still be exchanges in some countries.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:21:55 PM

Will not work. Will cost billions.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
MakeBelieve

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:23:08 PM

Surely the government will have enough money though they could just print more off.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:26:09 PM

Surely the government will have enough money though they could just print more off.
lol, well they certainly have spent billions on other ill fated projects. 

MakeBelieve

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:27:30 PM

lol, well they certainly have spent billions on other ill fated projects. 

Haha I don't think it would benefit them to destroy Bitcoin what would be the point?

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:31:52 PM

Haha I don't think it would benefit them to destroy Bitcoin what would be the point?
I agree. Assuming you had billions to spend you might  be able to hurt bitcoin. Of course bitcoin 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, etc. will require additional billions. In the end what has been achieved for all this money, and why was it done in the first place?

tinyteapot

Activity: 1161
Merit: 275

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:34:27 PM

The 'Government' (which one exactly?) won't shut it down, the banks will. They'll come up with their own, and force it upon you. McDonalds, Amazon and WalMart will all eagerly back it, and bitcoin will die.
MakeBelieve

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:36:21 PM

The 'Government' (which one exactly?) won't shut it down, the banks will. They'll come up with their own, and force it upon you. McDonalds, Amazon and WalMart will all eagerly back it, and bitcoin will die.

Why would those companies be backing the banks I think some of them you have mentioned have interest in accepting Bitcoin.

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:20:16 PM

I don't understand. How are they going to force me to use their alt-coin? And why would acceptance by some of the worlds largest companies cause bitcoin to die?

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 06:26:29 PM

Well, as far as power requirements go, they would have to push things beyond 400 amps (88,000 watss; 88KW) before things would affect me.

I kinda doubt that will happen but you do have an intersting hypothesis.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
MakeBelieve

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:29:03 PM

Well, as far as power requirements go, they would have to push things beyond 400 amps (88,000 watss; 88KW) before things would affect me.

My $.02.

Wink

That's certinaly a lot of power you are using and not counting others who are mining with amazing machines it would take too much money to defeat Bitcoin this way.

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 06:37:57 PM

My $.02.

Wink

That's certinaly a lot of power you are using and not counting others who are mining with amazing machines it would take too much money to defeat Bitcoin this way.

I am not using all the power yet but also have two other rent-free locations with the same 400 amp incoming.

I intend to use up at least 85% of the available incoming with scryptcoin mining rigs, both for myself and my corporation.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:48:01 PM

step 1) NSA-backdoor into as many btc-users puters as possible -not to speak about exchanges

step 2) pwn them hard making believe that it's some hacker to make an example of how unsafe cryptos are (while the guv instead...)
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 07:09:49 PM

My $.02.

Wink

Not mining Bitcoin.

Why tie up a bunch of money in"pre-ordered" vapourware ASIC rigs for Bitcoin when the same money can be put to work mining alts almost right away?

You order Bitcoin ASICs and by the time they get to you the difficulty is so high that your equipment is nearly uselsess.

I've got a ton of fans spinning against Litecoin and am very happy.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
delaro

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:18:10 PM

Outlawing bitcoin trading would send the price to the moon. No sense arguing that point, name a thing that costs less on the black market than it costs in a free market. One thing...
All kinds of things... Guns for example.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: