Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:50:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your biggest bitstake?  (Read 1637 times)
BTCGameMaker (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 05:00:19 PM

bit·stake [bit-steyk]  noun - an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment that you would not have made in every day life but was caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc. through it's association with Bitcoin

Grin

I stole this list of examples from the other thread.

Lets see, "Bitcoin Users" will trust, en mass:

1) Magical Frenchmen in Japan with their bitcoins (single point of failure)

2) 17 year old Exchange operators (untested services)

3) Convicted financial frauds (no need to name names)

4) Unknown and anonymous sites with large amounts of digital assets (mybitcoin)

5) Phishing emails (mtgox/tradehills phishing victime)

6) This forum (cosbycoin anyone?)

7) Exploitable open source software (solidcoin, namecoin, geld whatever it is)

Cool Over The Counter Ratings (seriously)

9) Paypal (many still use paypal for bitcoin transactions)

10) Any new item of the week

Any questions?

And to go along with this I'd like to offer a counter point.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/tim_harford.html

My point is we as a community have probably made a lot of bitstakes and there probably are a lot of scammers out there taking advantage of that.  But that doesn't change the value of Bitcoins as a currency (value being its usefulness as an nonfiat psuedo anonymous medium of exchange, not the exchange rate in USD.)  And mistakes aren't bad as long as we keep making them in the right direction.

Just a thought.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 05:21:38 PM

I invested 0.5 btc in i0coins  Smiley
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 05:58:10 PM

I added Bruce to my facebook friends list couple months ago, asked him a friendly, honest non-sarcastic question about bitcoin's current situation and he promptly responded to me like a douche..   That was all I needed to know about him.. I quickly removed him after that.

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
logansryche

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 06:33:18 PM

MY biggest mistake was not joining in on bitcoin and start bitcard sooner.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 06:40:53 PM

Tried to mine bitcoins about a year ago...the client was buggy on my machine so I figured screw it.

BTC was less than a dollar at the time...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 06:57:11 PM

i bought BTCs at 13-12$

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 07:00:29 PM

Clicking on this thread, reading it and take the time to reply to it...  Roll Eyes
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 07:01:55 PM

Tried to mine bitcoins about a year ago...the client was buggy on my machine so I figured screw it.

Got you beat, I discovered BTC early 2010 and didn't mine any with cpu because I felt pooled mining was too much of a hassle  Embarrassed
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 3010

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 07:23:43 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2011, 02:45:58 AM by Martin Lawrence (Guildminers)

I also registered some domains too prematurely for bitcoin business ideas I have since abandoned.  

Post the domain names you have for sale.  As long as you sell them for what you paid (~$10) I'm sure you'll be able to unload them. Smiley

My biggest bitstake was turning off my miner back in 2010 after I had mined 100 coins cause I didn't see any value.  

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 07:25:46 PM

Got you beat, I discovered BTC early 2010 and didn't mine any with cpu because I felt pooled mining was too much of a hassle  Embarrassed

Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 07:30:18 PM

Wow early 2010 and you have little to show for it?

Damn I wish I was aware of bitcoin even back in Late 2010.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 08:51:11 PM

Phinnaeus! How was fishing?
JonHind

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 02:05:52 AM

My biggest bitstake was trusting mybitcoin with a percentage of my BTC's. My second biggest was initially trusting Bruce when he started the bitcoin show.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 03:20:43 AM

Phinnaeus! How was fishing?

I leave on the 22nd and will be gone about 10 days. Will be on the Pike Chain in Northern Wisconsin. I'll be the guy in the boat with the white beard (I'll be donning the beard, not the boat). I'm hoping to train somebody to connect the dots while I'm away. I still say that Freddie Mercury is involved somehow with MyBitCoin. After a quick Google image search, I now think that I can connect BitBrew into the mix.  Wink

http://pattaya-times.com/a7194-thousands-attend-first-international-coffee-bakery-show

ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 04:53:53 AM

Got scammed for $450 worth of bitcoin... ugh, really shakes your confidence and makes you think about whether or not you want to continue participating in bitcoin.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: