Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:33:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Prevent dust from collecting on S9 intake fan grate?  (Read 170 times)
tim-bc (OP)

Activity: 538
Merit: 175

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 02:37:56 PM

What's the best way to filter out tiny dust? The filters in now don't seem to catch fine dust/sand particles and they just build up on the intake fan grate (see pic):

http://i.stack.imgur.com/Zf79A.jpg

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
minefarmbuy

Activity: 1022
Merit: 221

We are not retail.

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2018, 05:38:33 PM

Automotive intake air filters

Premier asic sourcing minefarmbuy.com #mineon
Twitter:@minefarmbuy -LN Tips-
Email: info@minefarmbuy.com PGP:1A1C A4D4 CE04 F57E 1C0C 5240 592A 09BF CCB4 F0C3
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 2036

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:41:37 AM

Wow that picture... I must say you are determined as I have commented on a few of your topics and seen most of your problems.

I would say your best bet would just be some filter cloth on the fan intake. Something like this, I can't find the product we use in my plant for electrical panel fan intakes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Allertech-Vent-Guard-Filters-Roll/dp/B009XVIYYQ?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_625lvpat7a_e

I don't know how much it will affect the airflow on the S9's though so it may be an issue as your last post was talking about overheating, but the filter might counteract that by preventing dust build up in the machines.

The other option is obviously cleaning the warehouse and sealing it up so that only your intake air is entering and filtering that. You can build a holder for multiple common furnace filters.

This same method can be applied on a larger scale by building a hotside/coldside at the machines and building it out a few feet on the intake side and making a filter house. Each of the walls on the intake side would be made of walls of filters.

Good luck

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ameador1

Activity: 124
Merit: 47

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 02:05:44 AM

Depends on your setup design. I just built a box 4' high, 4' deep, 5' wide. The box is attached to an exterior wall. I put in 2 - 3200cfm fans on the exterior wall. This box has a middle wall with cutouts matching the shape of the miners. On the side of this middle wall, opposite to the exterior wall with the fans, I mounted shelves to sit the miners on so their fans protrude through the cutouts. There are 3 shelves. Bottom shelf has miners. The middle shelf has miners on the shelf and I mounted PSUs under the middle shelf to feed the miners on the bottom shelf. The top shelf has the switches sitting on top with PSUs mounted under the shelf to feed to miners on the middle shelf. I also drilled out 1.25" holes above the miner cutouts - behind the PSUs to help pull their heat out as well. Then the wall of the box that is furthest from the exterior wall with the fans has 4 - 1"x16"x20" air conditioning filters installed over openings 1" smaller than the filter all the way around. Everything is sealed. All areas where I used plywood have silicon caulk between the 2x4 framing and the plywood. The "door" with the filters has rubber weather stripping between the door and the framing behind it. So all intake air is moving through those 4 filters.

I JUST finished setting this up today and so far the temps are good and all is well. I had my miners in an area where they were not being filtered like this before, so my next step is going to be pulling them apart and cleaning them out thoroughly so the air moves across them more efficiently. I have 10 miners running in this setup and I designed it to hold a max of 16. If I go above that, I will add 2 more vent fans, more filters on the side walls of the miner side of the box and cut an additional 8 or 16 mounting holes. I think I could squeeze them in there.

I had a new 200amp service brought in with a commercial service rate to get a better power cost. I currently have 2 - 120v 20amp breakers feeding 8 outlets for running the fans, switches, etc... I have 8 - 240V 20amp breakers feeding 16 outlets - so each breaker will run 2 miners over 12guage wire.

Anyway - so far I'm pretty proud of my little miner farm setup and I really hope this filtering design will keep them spic and span clean from now on.

Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 02:23:38 AM

What's the best way to filter out tiny dust? The filters in now don't seem to catch fine dust/sand particles and they just build up on the intake fan grate (see pic):

Holy crap! I think you need to do more than just filter the miner. You need to filter ALL the air coming in!

gt_addict

Activity: 2506
Merit: 622

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 07:36:07 AM

I used to use convoluted aquarium filter foam. Cut a 120mm square piece and the suction of the fan kept it in place. Worked quite well considering it wasnt a very fine foam.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
tim-bc (OP)

Activity: 538
Merit: 175

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:32:34 PM

Holy crap! I think you need to do more than just filter the miner. You need to filter ALL the air coming in!
Well all of the walls are louvered and now they have filters on them as well to prevent the majority of pollutants from entering. Kind of like in this picture: http://www.airsolutioncompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/101305-61.jpg

However there is ongoing construction which is introducing ways for unfiltered air to get in. The miners are set up in a hot/cold scheme but there is not enough space to try to filter the air in more places then just the louvers.

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 03:26:34 PM

Just blow em out every once in a while, the dust isnt that big of a deal. Not worth the expenditure and time to do all this super filtration IMO

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
gt_addict

Activity: 2506
Merit: 622

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 06:09:29 PM

Just blow em out every once in a while, the dust isnt that big of a deal. Not worth the expenditure and time to do all this super filtration IMO

Thats why i just went for cheap aquarium filter foam. The sheet I bought was £3 and could do 6x 120mm fans.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
Ameador1

Activity: 124
Merit: 47

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:23:50 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2018, 01:42:23 PM by Ameador1

My box method using 3/8" plywood and 2x4's cost probably $150 for a 16 miner space. Add my 6400cfm of fans to keep air pulled through at a good click and they are also staying nice and cool with redundancy for about 290watts of fan power. Once I clean the miners out (from where they got dirty before being put in the box) I don't think I will have to do that again for a long time. The fans were $220 for the pair with another $60 or so for the louvers to keep rain, bugs, etc... out. But my wiring and fans were needed simply to run my miners in my space - so I only consider the cost of the box and filters. The filters were the cheapest I could get per square inch of filter - for air conditioning filters anyway.

Building it this way also pulls the air across the miners very efficiently and I'm sure is allowing the bigger vent fans to lower the power needed to run the miner fans. Right now with 10 miners - they should be moving 10 x 250cfm = 2500cfm. The 6400cfm fans are being reduced as they are pulling throught the filters and miners - but even if they are only  being half effective, that's still 3200cfm being pulled across the miners very directly vs the 2500cfm they would be doing on their own.

So I would say my overall wattage is probably nearly the same net wattage as if I weren't even running the vent fans. Cooler miners, cleaner miners - Relatively low cost. I'm happy.

Here's pics:

mettalmag
Legendary

Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003

≡v≡

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 04:23:08 PM

I use activated carbon filters
they do the job great
Also consider that I have all my farms in city, it's a hell of a dusty place and this filters do the job
they come in different sickness varieties depending on your needs
and the best part is that they are washable
this gives you the chance to use them for 6-8 month before getting new ones
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: