Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:29:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive buy order only on Bitstamp.  (Read 3867 times)
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:23:56 AM

Mat, how about this. Buy for $100 worth of bitcoins, right now, at whatever price it is going for. Then put it in a separate wallet and leave it alone for a year. Keep doing your thing, and a year from now compare ROI on the non-traded wallet with the part you trade for. The worst that can happen here is that you risk learning something.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:46:41 AM

Mat, your only enemy is yourself.  There is no "market manipulation."  No one is out to get you.  Most traders have probably lost money over the past month in this choppy market.  I know I have.  You are the only one complaining about every move the market makes.  Its called a sideways correction.  Completely normal.  Wait for the next trend to develop, whether up or down, and try to find an entry point.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:49:15 AM

Woah its getting too deep in here. These are just stop loss and trigger orders with bitfinex or bots. There was a 6000btc dump just the other day too.
eh wot!?
What kind of Stop-Loss buys in 3000 BTC causing a market spike to non-maintainable highs?
It's not neccessarily from one person but from multiple people. Trigger orders once they hit their target will execute at market price regardless of what that price is. This may drive the price up on its own or may set up a chain reaction where additional higher trigger orders are triggered.
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:02:27 AM

Provided they have sold to realise the loss... Wink

Hate to harp on about TA again, but this was a terrible buy in point from the point of view of whoever made the 2.5 million USD purchase on the Stamp, just as it was when my short got called as Bitcoin powered through 820 and right up to 836 on the back of a similarly large whale buy-in surge.

This buy in, was the mad surge up. Whoever made these purchases is a fucking idiot who is totally incapable of reading the market or they were trying to instigate something which has failed to materialise. The market creeps back up, but where is the volume? There is none.

If I believed that Bitcoin was away to soar and I had 2.5 Million USD that I wanted to get into Bitcoin, I have seen much better opportunities than this in the past few days.

I bought several times on the way from $32 back down to $2. It was really difficult to convince my lizard brain that I was doing the right thing, because I just kept seeing loss after loss rack up on every trade.

I also had quite a lot of fiat tied up in orders from $2 all the way down to $0.05.

By traders logic pretty much every trade I made for 6 months solid made me a "fucking idiot" because I bought coins that I could have got for much cheaper if I'd waited. I also subsequently failed to deploy all my fiat at the bottom. I then had to buy coins for far more than $2 on the way back up. These hard lessons amongst others received trading a wide variety of other instruments, teach you what the reality of trading is. Every post you make (like the OP here) fills me with a kind of anti-nostalgia. Non-fondly remembering saying, doing, feeling all the things you describe. I know I can't (reliably enough to be consistently profitable) read the market. I know most people can't. Maybe you can though, props to you.

Over that six months, when the price just kept going down, there were countless people just like you. They all extolled the profitability of shorting, how stupid I was for buying, holding was foolish bitcoin was dying etc etc

There arguments were far more compelling then, you know before the US recognised it as a legitimate thing and China said that it was fine for people to have it, and also before major online retailers accepted it, and before it had a market cap in the billions. You could almost believe these people had a case for it going to zero. They were entitled to their opinions, and they certainly gave me pause for thought.

Now, 2 years on, people tell me how lucky I was. I'm not sure they understand risk.

You know what maybe I was lucky, I was lucky not to listen to all the trading "experts" and instead *invest* in a technology that I believed at the time would be a game changer. At the time it was harder to believe it, but I believed it. Thats also why it was cheaper. Thesedays its easier to believe, and as such is less risky, and as such is more expensive. The point that is lost on most people as that the high price is exactly the reason why it is lower risk, and not the contrary.

My assessment at the time was that it was a (very?) high risk investment, and so I didn't bet the farm, it didn't help I was on my ass at the time, but I knew to not buy any would be a big mistake. I'm not sure anyone at that time really considered that counter risk.

People still don't see/understand it to this day (not the people here on the whole, however 'bearish' they seem to be!). People are focused entirely on the possibility of losing their capital. They entirely ignore the fact that they might be *forced* to buy BTC later for much, much higher. These same people are quite happy to enter into negative EV situations in all sorts of ways.

It should be obvious that I am not saying you should bet the farm because DA MOON etc. You should look at how much you value that $100 though, what the chance of losing it all vs the chance of it becoming $1000 is, and how much you value that $1000. The chance of it becoming $10k how much you value that. This is all personal but give you a basic idea of your risk profile and thus how much as percentage of NW you are prepared to risk.

Of course I understand all of this has no bearing on trading, because you traders aren't in it for the big bucks. You are just riding the dopamine high in front of the oncoming train of despair. Thats a fact for ~99% of traders out there (how many traders are there? how many trading legends are there? do the math).

I thought you might be interested to know why I think HODL is better, what some of the though process is behind it (as opposed to it just being an idiotic meme thing to do - I do actually understand what I am doing and why I am doing it). My "enemy" is corruption, the abuse of capitalism etc random guys on the internet - not so much.

So you do whatever you wanna do, but whilst you might think I am "fucking idiot" for what I've done (or rather, not done), I think dismissing it as lucky is a bit puerile. I can assure you that I don't think you are  a "fucking idiot". I think what you are doing is crazy, misguided and delusional, but people do all sorts of crazy things, and who am I to say they *shouldn't*

My advice remains buy and hold. (for the longest time)

https://blockchain.info/tx/8f947b8e05344dddf8294e54f07ae4a8cf995e06c20d0511d374d7e72faf29f8

(You have to have the excess digits too, I don't like having fractions of coins beyond 5 d.p.)
chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:04:21 AM

LOL Tera is that you I saw 'confirming' in the BTC-E chat box? lmao to see the word of proudhon spread accross the BTC world.

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:06:59 AM

Mat, your only enemy is yourself.  There is no "market manipulation."  No one is out to get you.  Most traders have probably lost money over the past month in this choppy market.  I know I have.  You are the only one complaining about every move the market makes.  Its called a sideways correction.  Completely normal.  Wait for the next trend to develop, whether up or down, and try to find an entry point.

Sound advice. Blaming "outside agencies" / "market manipulation" every time you lose money isn't a good sign. You have to look at your own trading strategy. It starts and ends there.
chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:10:18 AM

Sound advice. Blaming "outside agencies" / "market manipulation" every time you lose money isn't a good sign. You have to look at your own trading strategy. It starts and ends there.
the way I like to put it -
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Hanlon's Razor.

TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:13:38 AM

LOL Tera is that you I saw 'confirming' in the BTC-E chat box? lmao to see the word of proudhon spread accross the BTC world.
I must fulfill my destiny to spread proudhon's trolling into the trollbox - this is confirmed by authentic foreign sources in a legend in a chinese scroll.
ScrapOfCat

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:17:31 AM

My advice to anyone is, "Buy some and then buy some more. Keep buying until you are satisfied that you have enough."  Smiley

Excellent advice.

Squander electricity on piffle: 1CLQajy22Z2n9YjZurFfPaKApcqsQa8BzK
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:29:21 AM

Mat, your only enemy is yourself.  There is no "market manipulation."  No one is out to get you.  Most traders have probably lost money over the past month in this choppy market.  I know I have.  You are the only one complaining about every move the market makes.  Its called a sideways correction.  Completely normal.  Wait for the next trend to develop, whether up or down, and try to find an entry point.

oh, I aint lost money, not overall anyhow. I fkn hate losing money.

and I dont suggest for a minute that the whales are out to get me and my stash......I just notice some very strange tendencies and occurrences in the market that don't seem to make sense, or at least I can't make sense of them...

....and if u think that big hands in marketplaces don't attempt to bend and manipulate the market, then...erm....

..WAKEN UP LADDIE!

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
alwayzgame

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:00:24 AM

is the prices goin up or down??

buying btc
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:05:09 AM

Looks like they're going sideways for now.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:23:39 AM

....and if u think that big hands in marketplaces don't attempt to bend and manipulate the market, then...erm....

..WAKEN UP LADDIE!

Out of curiosity, MatTheCat, how would you define "manipulation"?  Is posting a big ask wall to try to scare smaller fish into selling "manipulation" or is that just "strategy"?  How about if your "buddy" is the one who eats your big ask wall?

I'm trying to figure out where you draw the line between natural and unnatural price movements.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Malexo

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:29:33 AM

Theyve been going sideways, seemingly for quite some time now...
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:53:42 AM

Theyve been going sideways, seemingly for quite some time now...

A very long time - in bitcointime at least. I think lots of people are sitting on the sidelines ahead of ... today.

Let's see what happens when the Chinese dust clears. There will be movement one way or other.
F-bernanke

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:21:58 AM

From reddit:

Patrick Byrne retracts statement that Overstock.com will not hold bitcoins, also announces personal investment

...in today's Q4 Earnings Conference Call.
http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/xeadrvij/lan/en
@24.10 - 24.38:
"It's not out of the question that we will be holding a small amount of bitcoin."
"I personally have gone out in the past few days and bought several million dollars of bitcoin."
(Discussion of benefits to the company at 22.00, preceded by the story of adoption also told in the LTB interview.)
Edit: formatting
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 07:29:25 AM

From reddit:

Patrick Byrne retracts statement that Overstock.com will not hold bitcoins, also announces personal investment

...in today's Q4 Earnings Conference Call.
http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/xeadrvij/lan/en
@24.10 - 24.38:
"It's not out of the question that we will be holding a small amount of bitcoin."
"I personally have gone out in the past few days and bought several million dollars of bitcoin."
(Discussion of benefits to the company at 22.00, preceded by the story of adoption also told in the LTB interview.)
Edit: formatting

i wonder where
F-bernanke

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:33:19 AM

i wonder where

Yeah, i was thinking:

-Maybe he made a deal with coinbase (who saved incoming coins from consumer purchases for him), Or coinbase bought it for him at stamp.
-Or he wired money straight to bitstamp himself.
-Off exchange deal

I can't come up with other scenarios (gox? haha).
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:37:28 AM

i wonder where

Yeah, i was thinking:

-Maybe he made a deal with coinbase (who saved incoming coins from consumer purchases for him), Or coinbase bought it for him at stamp.
-Off exchange deal

He probably just kept some of the BTC overstock has acquired in the last month.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 07:43:31 AM

i wonder where

Yeah, i was thinking:

-Off exchange deal

He probably just kept some of the BTC overstock has acquired in the last month.

i would
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: