Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Closed  (Read 2017 times)
atomium (OP)
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 03:54:13 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2019, 05:05:26 PM by atomium

Closed

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 05:19:48 AM

Hoarding is good, using is good too.

21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 05:24:14 AM

I get where you're coming from. I'm honestly not sure what to do with a good amount of my coins either. Hoarding is an especially attractive option at the moment since prices are rising, but I think doing business with BitCoin promotes even further growth. I'm thinking of splitting my BTC in half within the next couple of days; half will go in an online wallet to hoard, and the other half I'll use for purchases or business opportunities to help increase the Bitconomy Wink
gabbergabe

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 08:15:16 AM

Im trying to do more with btc then cash so i guess that answers that.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 10:09:09 AM

Hoarding in an online wallet is the most hilariously stupid idea I have heard yet out of this community.  And that's saying a lot.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 10:12:52 AM

Hoarding in an online wallet is the most hilariously stupid idea I have heard yet out of this community.  And that's saying a lot.

What's the problem? As long as it's stored offline it should be pretty safe, or are you one of those crazies who think you should just spend everything you've carefully saved up and not think about the future at all?
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 10:30:44 AM

You should of course both save and spend. But make sure you consider the true valuation of your bitcoins including what it would take to obtain more. In some countries it's not that hard.

What's the problem? As long as it's stored offline it should be pretty safe, or are you one of those crazies who think you should just spend everything you've carefully saved up and not think about the future at all?
He was responding to this comment:
...I'm thinking of splitting my BTC in half within the next couple of days; half will go in an online wallet to hoard...
If by "online wallet" he meant a shared eWallet, then yeah, that's ill advised.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:46:27 AM

the word ONLINE in the quote online wallet is the risky and hilarious part the person refers to.

brain wallet or paper wallet are better advised for hoarding. and only inputted into the satoshi client when its time to spend.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 11:54:03 AM

On the other hand spending money on useless products and services just to "stimulate the economy" is a bad idea as well, IMHO. I myself use the btc when it is possible, but naturally most of the time I have to use fiat since bitcoin isn't very accepted (yet).

xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 12:33:50 PM

Altruism feels good and could probably work in a shame-based society of less than 150 people. But this is not necessary or even useful for bitcoin now. Critical mass of adoption has passed with a large margin.

So do what is right for you now. It works for payment fiat -> btc -> fiat now, and it work continously better as time passes. More people will keep a cash amount in btc, and direct btc payments will be possible.

As of hoarding, this is for those who have some value that is not needed presently, have and entrepreneurial mind, and see a possibility for a raise in the exhange value for the btc currency.

Hoarding is not negativie for anyone. It has some consequence for the dynamic money supply and exhange value, but remember, every coin will be in someone's wallet always. "Money velocity" doesn't really mean anything useful. Don't listen to the Bernanks of the world, they do not know what they are talking about.

Everyone is different, and everone does as he pleases.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 01:11:43 PM

I'm trying to move as much of my routine spending into Bitcoin as possible. So far I'm successfully paying for mobile phone service with bitcoin, and I've convinced my landlord to open a Coinbase account and make a payment page so that I can now pay my rent with bitcoins.

By the end of 2013 I want to pay all my expenses directly with bitcoin or via a bitcoin-funded prepaid debit card. At that point I'll convert every paycheck to bitcoin and hold no dollar savings.
Jakers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 01:31:08 PM

Start doing Loans and Merchanting, that way they'll still be sitting there but your stack will be slowly increasing over time. I'd say since the amount of BTC is permanent but the deman will continue to rise, all they'll do is get more expensive, why sell them now?  Tongue

This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 05:27:14 PM

Hoarding is good, using is good too.

No need to choose, do both.
atomium (OP)
Donator

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 08:32:56 PM

I get where you're coming from. I'm honestly not sure what to do with a good amount of my coins either. Hoarding is an especially attractive option at the moment since prices are rising, but I think doing business with BitCoin promotes even further growth. I'm thinking of splitting my BTC in half within the next couple of days; half will go in an online wallet to hoard, and the other half I'll use for purchases or business opportunities to help increase the Bitconomy Wink

I will probably do the same, keep a separate wallet as a savings account and have another account for spending. My main goal is to create a business and start operating in bitcoins only.
atomium (OP)
Donator

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 08:34:53 PM

I'm trying to move as much of my routine spending into Bitcoin as possible. So far I'm successfully paying for mobile phone service with bitcoin, and I've convinced my landlord to open a Coinbase account and make a payment page so that I can now pay my rent with bitcoins.

By the end of 2013 I want to pay all my expenses directly with bitcoin or via a bitcoin-funded prepaid debit card. At that point I'll convert every paycheck to bitcoin and hold no dollar savings.

this is awesome, i need to do this as well, i want to switch all my monthly expenses to bitcoins. Currently I'm putting a large percentage of my income to bitcoins, pointless for me to keep it all in USD
SouthernComfort

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 02:57:13 AM

I purchase Bitcoins once a week, about 80% I save, the other 20% I try to spend to help out the Bitcoin economy.
legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 08:20:00 AM

Redistribute the wealth  Grin

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 08:51:13 AM

I try to keep an even mix of doing both, while gradually growing my bitcoin only buisness. In the end what I'd like to see is not having to deal with euros or dollars at all, but I feel Im not doing my part if I simply hoard coins.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: