Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:44:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: When will bitcoin be ready for a 2 hour TV infomercial?
As soon as the video is ready - 11 (30.6%)
1 month - 0 (0%)
6 months - 5 (13.9%)
1 year - 6 (16.7%)
> 2 years - 5 (13.9%)
> 5 years - 7 (19.4%)
never - 2 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] When will bitcoin be ready for a 2 hour TV infomercial  (Read 1502 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 10:53:38 PM

is someone working on this idea?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PinkiePie

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 10:59:18 PM

Why waste bitcoins on buying TV ad time when there is already a full fledged global online bitcoin TV network?  The early adopters are going to continue to be tech savvy youth, not unemployed old people watching TV at 3am.

--
MOST HONEST FORUM MEMBER AWARD 2011
Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 11:03:34 PM

Why waste bitcoins on buying TV ad time when there is already a full fledged global online bitcoin TV network?  The early adopters are going to continue to be tech savvy youth, not unemployed old people watching TV at 3am.

because....

unemployed old people watching TV at 3am =  A LOT of people
tech savvy youth = not a lot of poeple

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 11:57:29 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2011, 12:39:59 AM by psy

You forgot one important option: NEVER!

Infomercials are only used to sell snake oil, so, please, leave Bitcoin out of it!
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 12:01:53 AM

I think all venues need to be explored.  The reason BTC are 5 bucks is because only us geeks are playing.  Add grandma to the list and it will be worth more ...

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 12:03:37 AM

I'm no photoshop editor pro, just cut paste mspaint pro.
I vote this guy.
PinkiePie

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 12:26:46 AM

because....

I think you are underestimating the number of people you can reach with a global online TV network, with infomercials you are restricted to a smaller audience.

--
evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 12:27:55 AM

You forgot on important option: NEVER!

Infomercials are only used to sell snake oil, so, please, leave Bitcoin out of it!

+1
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 12:29:00 AM

We need a new host given he is nothing close to a youth to relate to the audience at hand.
RandyFolds

Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 12:32:58 AM

because....

So you want to bring bitcoin even closer to some scam that dupes unwitting fools from their money? I think the public is looking down on it enough without having a bunch of angry children whose senile old parents just made/squandered 'the investment of a lifetime' for them.

'Send me your old useless gold today! I'll give you the going market rate of $1200US per Imperial Ounce.'
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 12:37:29 AM

maybe an infomercial isnt the best way to spread the word.

but relying on onlyonetv.com isn't the answer either.

have a 3 minute commercial at the movie theater, might be cool!

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 12:44:11 AM

^^ This is a good idea! Might not be that expensive also.
Movie theaters get ripped off by the movie studios who only pay them like 5% of the ticket sales, they would be glad to get some more money without having to sell over-priced popcorn. The low margins they get on the tickets are the reason why they over-price the popcorns and why they started showing commercials before the movies Wink
PinkiePie

GROUNDED FOR TROLLING

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 01:12:34 AM

maybe an infomercial isnt the best way to spread the word.

but relying on onlyonetv.com isn't the answer either.

If you really want to make that work as a venue specific ad you would want to convince them to take bitcoins for tickets as well.  Since a lot of sales are online now that might not be a bad idea for them, but an easy to use bitcoin point of sale system for the concession stands would have to be developed too.

--
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 01:18:37 AM

I see no reason to encourage a bunch of unemployed, overweight seniors and welfare recipients to learn about monetary policy, cryptography, and global financial markets =)  

The demographics of those who watch and are susceptible to infomercials are on the opposite side of the adoption curve from where Bitcoin currently is. The "average dull American consumer" will be the last to adopt Bitcoin, and that's fine. There is no reason to expend resources trying to entice such people anytime in the foreseeable future. By the time the Bitcoin ecosystem is ready for them, no promotion will be needed.

If you want to spend money on effective Bitcoin marketing, do the following:

- Prepare professional white papers on security, investment, growth drivers, and merchant implementations for Bitcoin
- Create new, professional educational videos a la WeUseCoins.com (but make them more in depth on various aspects of Bitcoin)
- Create a fund to donate to any legal team that is hired on behalf of Bitcoin in upcoming legal cases. Such precedents will be very important.
- Donate to some of the current projects like SafeBit which are making beautiful software
- Create a professional PR team. If they are professional and wise enough, they would become the de facto official PR outlet for Bitcoin.
- Buy ads among the demographics who are likely to adopt bitcoins even though they're currently inconvenient (Ron Paul forums, agorist conventions, tech groups, etc.). These should be professional and polished. Not salesy.
- Put together a local team in large Indian and Chinese cities to act as guerilla advocates of Bitcoin, start up seed and cottage industries on key cities like Mumbai and Shanghai. Make sure all relevant info is translated into local languages.

And so on.  Lots to spend money and time on before "infomercials."  =)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 01:30:16 AM

Movie theaters get ripped off by the movie studios who only pay them like 5% of the ticket sales, they would be glad to get some more money without having to sell over-priced popcorn. The low margins they get on the tickets are the reason why they over-price the popcorns and why they started showing commercials before the movies Wink

the people into since fiction would probably love bitcoin, so we can choose to only show the ad for since fiction movies.

the founder

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2011, 04:44:43 PM

the people into since fiction would probably love bitcoin, so we can choose to only show the ad for since fiction movies.

we'll add it after Professional Wrestling on Syfy Channel.  Sad

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
ctoon6

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 07:58:29 PM

i vote for vince, after all he alone made the sham wow and slap chop sell, even though they are both piles of shit.

evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 10:33:49 PM

I vote this guy.
i vote for vince, after all he alone made the sham wow and slap chop sell, even though they are both piles of shit.

uhhh.................didnt he beat up  a hooker? (edit: looks like she did a number on him too)

bitcoin image problem....solved!
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 02:23:20 AM

NEVER should be an option.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: