Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:41:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of Profile Thieves  (Read 216 times)
jamids (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 03:21:44 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2018, 03:52:00 AM by jamids

Recently, I joined a signature campaign. After a few weeks, when I check the spreadsheet, there is someone who joined using my profile with a different ETH address. What I did was I reported it to the bounty manager so that they can take action about it. This is to remind every one to always check the spreadsheet whatever campaign you join to prevent those cheaters using other people's effort to gain some coins.

What might happen if I didn't check the spreadsheet?

First, the bounty manager might delete the two accounts thinking that you are cheating in the campaign with two different addresses and you lose all your efforts in that campaign and the possibility of being tagged too as a cheater and receive a negative trust.

Second, the one who use your profile will be the one who will receive the payment and you will not receive anything or the team might pay the two accounts so it will be a lose for them because they paid someone for free.

What can you do when you notice that someone use your profile?

First, report it to the bounty manager just like what I did to prevent those cheaters.

Second for support, you can put your ETH Address in the location field in your profile as a validation that you are the real owner of the account.

Hope this helps.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mt. Dempo

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:29:56 AM

I'm also sick of seeing spreadsheets there are many other people's job thieves, it's easy they just replace some letters from the username and take a real participant's link profile. Your way may be effective, but the bounty manager should also make a rule that each participant must make a post for proof of registration following the campaign.

🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵  Agareum  🔵  Multiplayer gaming platform, gamified version of an airdrop  🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵
https://agareum.com
Hellobx

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:30:24 AM

That's right. That's actually a good thing to do.
But most of the time, the bounty manager determines which account is the real owner in order of priority, so I'm not worried about that.

tng811

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:36:01 AM

Recently, I joined a signature campaign. After a few weeks, when I check the spreadsheet, there is someone who joined using my profile with a different ETH address. What I did was I reported it to the bounty manager so that they can take action about it. This is to remind every one to always check the spreadsheet to prevent those cheaters using other people's effort to gain some coins.

First, the bounty manager might delete the two accounts thinking that you are cheating in the campaign with two different addresses and you lose all your efforts in that campaign and the possibility of being tagged too as a cheater and receive a negative trust.

Second, the one who use your profile will be the one who will receive the payment and you will not receive anything or the team might pay the two accounts so it will be a lose for them because they paid someone for free.

First, report it to the bounty manager just like what I did to prevent those cheaters.

Second for support, you can put your ETH Address in the location field in your profile as a validation that you are the real owner of the account.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thieves are every where now. I am glad to know and thank you for sharing the experience. We should all be careful about this and check the spreadsheet more often.

covfefe_

Activity: 935
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:36:33 AM

Yes, the forum should at least have a place to put the ethereum address till than the bounty manager should rather look at the location to know which ethereum address to pay to. Though a simple proof of authentication post requirement would solve much of the problem.
Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:45:55 AM

I've seen profile theives are much more active in content creation and telegram. Anyone can make a telegram and automate joining a group from thousands of IDs and to save tine, they just provide random bitcointalk profile list which can easily be copy pasted from any other campaign.
Bounty managers should strictly ask to make a proof of authentication post from the said ID and never depend completely on Google forms.
cryptotycoon33

Activity: 248

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 04:25:41 AM

Recently, I joined a signature campaign. After a few weeks, when I check the spreadsheet, there is someone who joined using my profile with a different ETH address. What I did was I reported it to the bounty manager so that they can take action about it. This is to remind every one to always check the spreadsheet whatever campaign you join to prevent those cheaters using other people's effort to gain some coins.

Hope this helps.

Everything you have said here is very correct. Few people in the forum are cheaters who want to reap from where they did not sow. They go to the extend of adding your profile link with their own address to profit from your own efforts. I think what i do in such cases i quickly notify the bounty manager.
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 05:38:52 AM

that doesn't seem like the user's fault and there is nothing you can do about it unless you are willing to spend time 24/7 watching every altcoin/bounty campaigns out there and see if someone is abusing your account name.

the fault falls on the managers who should only interact with the accounts themselves not using outside of bitcointalk means to communicate like a spreadsheat on google to sign up instead of a comment on bitcointalk.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
colkcolk

Activity: 128
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 07:45:29 AM

That kind of trick should be limited by often to check the spreadsheet to see the update and progress of the bounty we participated, stealing other work will impact to disadvantages for true participant and or the developers.
jamids (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2018, 03:02:05 AM

But most of the time, the bounty manager determines which account is the real owner in order of priority, so I'm not worried about that.

But there are times when the thief of the account is the first one who register in the campaign. I experience it myself when I check the spreadsheet first especially in social media or telegram campaign that there is already someone who registered using my account. Due to hundreds or thousands of participants, they are taking a chance that the manager wouldn't be able to check that they are just thief of the account. Maybe it is a newbie because most of the time, they are not allowed yet to join a campaign so the most likely solution to this would be a proof of authentication post so that those cheaters wouldn't be able to get away with it.

Awan Awan

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:13:27 AM

I'm also sick of seeing spreadsheets there are many other people's job thieves, it's easy they just replace some letters from the username and take a real participant's link profile. Your way may be effective, but the bounty manager should also make a rule that each participant must make a post for proof of registration following the campaign.
There are so many thieves and this is job to bounty manager.  But as participants which will get the disafvantages, we should help bounty manager to check the spreadsheet so we can inform the manager about this and get clear about the work.
tahmad

Activity: 252
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:23:51 AM

I just hear about this. In usually case it only cheating in airdrop campaign which need a bitcointalk profile. But, it's so crazy because it happen in signature campaign.
Yes we must be aware about this, especially in signature campaign is usually the big pools rewards. It's not only affect to us, but to other because they might dump the coin if they received the coin too.
Thanks for information.
fabskie21

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:34:37 AM

Have seen this scenario several times already and yeah the best thing to do is to report this to the manager as soon as possible. This usually occurs in airdrop and social media campaigns. Proof of authentication post has been adopted by some bounty managers which really helps in eliminating these cheaters.
xianbits

Activity: 910
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:41:22 AM

I myself have encountered this situation in the past. I was with the Boosteroid project when someone registered my details but with different ETH address. Good thing, I have informed the manager beforehand and corrected everything.
I guess the most prone to these are those with high ranks since it corresponds to higher amounts in case the plan of that thief succeeds but everyone still needs to be careful and diligent.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▌                          ▐
▌      ███████████████     ▐
▌      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▐
▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▐
▌      █████████████▄      ▐
▌      ████      ▀███▌     ▐
▌      ████       ▐███     ▐
▌      ████      ▄███▌     ▐
▌      █████████████▀      ▐
▌      ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

ERSISTENCE
BUILDING THE BRIDGE ━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Protocol Powering
Next-Gen Financial Products
/            ━━━
Buy XPRT
\               ▄▄▄▄
          ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ▀██
  ▄██▀▀▀██▀        ▐█▌
 ██▀     █▀  ▄    ▄██
▐█▌        ▄██▄▄▄██▀
 ██▄      ▄██▀▀▀▀
  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ 
     ▀▀▀▀   
DeFi

▄██▄  ▀████████▄
 ▄██▀▀██▄        ▀██▄
███    ▀██▄        ███
 ▀██▄    ▀██▄    ▄██▀
   ▀██▄    ▀██▄▄██▀
     ▀██▄    ▀██▀
       ▀██▄▄██▀
         ▀██▀
NFT

▄██▄
                  ▄██▀▀██▄
       ▄██▄     ▄██▀    ▀██▄
     ▄██▀▀██▄ ▄██▀        ▀██▄
   ▄██▀    █████            ▀██▄
 ▄██▀    ▄██▀ ▀██▄            ▀██▄
██▀    ▄███▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄
PoS

ANN | Twitter | Medium | GitHub
Reddit | YouTube | Discord
Telegram ANN | Telegram Community
Akiko

Activity: 896
Merit: 198

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:45:31 AM

But there are times when the thief of the account is the first one who register in the campaign. I experience it myself when I check the spreadsheet first especially in social media or telegram campaign that there is already someone who registered using my account. Due to hundreds or thousands of participants, they are taking a chance that the manager wouldn't be able to check that they are just thief of the account. Maybe it is a newbie because most of the time, they are not allowed yet to join a campaign so the most likely solution to this would be a proof of authentication post so that those cheaters wouldn't be able to get away with it.

Yes newbies are not allowed to join in signature campaign but i really don't think that is a newbie because first of all it's a beginner they not have enough knowledge about crypto currency or in forum. Maybe a few newbie and most of them are old in crypto like sr. to legendary member that an expert in crypto.

flowdon

Activity: 340
Merit: 11

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:59:31 AM

there are lot of thieves right now. some using your profile to earm token and have a different wallet address. if you can encounter this report immediately to the bounty manager so that they will know that they are uaing fake account to earn their tokens. and always be sure when you sign up not to give all the impprtant details such as your private key, even on kyc if ever it ask for an ID better to send an secondary ID's only.

fakegurutu

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:59:45 AM

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the awareness you've shared my friend. I also do have experienced with cheaters circling around this forum. Be aware guys before you join in any bounty campaign,  make sure to check first the spreadsheet before applying, because one time, when Im about to apply, gladly I checked the spreadsheet, and much to my amusement, my bitcointalk username was already in the spreadsheet but using different eth and profile link of fb or twitter or telegram.  So be careful guys.
krassy

Activity: 476
Merit: 19

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2018, 05:09:18 AM

Thank you very much for the warning, it is useful to know all to avoid such problems and be careful and attentive. There are a lot of dishonest people,they try to seize in all ways other people's assets. And it is always useful to know what methods of theft are invented to protect themselves from them.
maiden

Activity: 457
Merit: 11

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 01:11:38 AM

I have seen this scenario many times, and like what you said, the bounty manager determines who is the real owner by noticing it in their posting and answering, if it is the same  on the old post or not, but many participants who are joining in any campaign, their account who has a higher rank is usually bought only, so theres a possibility that the type of posting will change.

torch2121

Activity: 210

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2018, 01:32:39 AM

Thanks for the info. That is the thing that I will put in mind and always check the spreadsheet if there is same username. To avoid stealers for my work. Never thought that it will be possible because most of the time when you create a username there is a prompt that the username is taken and one way they can steal our work. I just hope my rank get higher fast so that I will be prone to this situation and hope that they are no higher rank stealing our work.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: