Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:11:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu Live USB creator for offline Cold Storage  (Read 1160 times)
bitcoincoldstorage (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:01:19 PM

Hi!

I am a freelance security researcher and longtime bitcointalk lurker! As I continue to invest more of my personal wealth in bitcoin, the less risk I am willing to accept. Combined with the realization that I am increasingly unable to guarantee the security of my home system, and the desire to avoid any 3rd party provider, I wanted a better solution (at least until something like Trezor is more widely available!)

Actually creating a USB stick to boot was more tedious than I anticipated! So I wrote a few scripts to make them on Linux, OS X, and Windows. Once created, the Ubuntu live boot USB stick can be used for completely offline wallet creation and key generation. By remaining completely offline, I am not at risk to key loggers, malware, or an Advanced Persistent Threat on my laptop. By using a live distribution, I am not concerned about data left behind, as it is erased when the system is shut down.

I’ve hosted my solution below, in case its useful for the community. You can create a USB stick within minutes, or make one yourself with the included build instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions! I won’t seed it forever, so if it’s useful, please keep seeding!

http://bitcoincoldstorage.mooo.com/

-Henrik
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:08:56 PM

Great idea, I have been wanting to create a similar distro but also rip out most network drivers. Not that any cold storage machine should ever be plugged into a network, but in the off chance it does get connected unbeknownst to you.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:32:06 PM

No offense, but your first post is an offline wallet? Really dangerous in many ways.
Your code needs to be secure, verifiable, checked, signed, and on and on.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
bitcoincoldstorage (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:56:17 AM

Excellent point! Perhaps I should clarify: I didn't actually write any code for an offline wallet.

I created 3 scripts (open source and verifiable) to write an Ubuntu live distroto USB, and make the USB bootable. The Ubuntu live distro contains the latest version of MultiBit, and the Bitcoin Paper Wallet generator; all of which are also open source.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: