Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:24:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your techniques for finding the hottest (most potential) new altcoin?  (Read 943 times)
nikkwong (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:33:53 PM

I got lucky and started mining DOGE really early.. now with the difficulty incredibly high, I'm looking for the next best thing. I usually just comb the altcoin forum and randomly pick new coins that look promising; it seems that resources such as coinmarketcap and coinwarz don't really tell you much about what coins will grow or stagnate; speculating via this forum seems to be especially hard with the amount of chat traffic the altcoin forum receives.

What are your techniques? Everyone else playing a guessing game, has some good intuition, or resources?
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:35:37 PM

So you want more speculation? All people are gonna do is try push their coin on you.
nikkwong (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:21:12 AM

Nah, im more interested in people sharing their reasoning when they start mining new alt coins among the myriad of options out there.
btcmania

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 12:58:25 AM

The problem is that someone can come out with the stupidest, lamest, most pathetic piece of shit and people WILL mine it and in time some idiot will ask for it to be put on an exchange.

So far I've seen a coin for potheads, a coin with a dog on it, a coin with a cat, coins that offer absolutely nothing new from the last dozen coins and have zero hope of ever being used in a real world transaction - and people continue to jump on board and mine.

Until people begin to scrutinize the junk that's being put out there it difficult to say what will become hot or not. I could clone a coin by copying some source code, announce it with an image of my coin created in 30 seconds with Photoshop and be a success. No standards, no criteria, no quality.

Hi.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 01:53:18 AM

I got lucky and started mining DOGE really early.. now with the difficulty incredibly high, I'm looking for the next best thing. I usually just comb the altcoin forum and randomly pick new coins that look promising; it seems that resources such as coinmarketcap and coinwarz don't really tell you much about what coins will grow or stagnate; speculating via this forum seems to be especially hard with the amount of chat traffic the altcoin forum receives.

What are your techniques? Everyone else playing a guessing game, has some good intuition, or resources?

Take a look at the list of coins on coinmarketcap.com and look for those that are undervalued. The trick is to find coins that have a disconnect between underlying fundamentals and market price. Do your homework and realize that coin value is derived from 1.) coin name, 2.) quality of community, and 3.) developer genius.

Simply read, study, and research, then find the coins that the market has not found yet and you'll have the future winners. IMO 
BitCoinPokerBro

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:16:59 AM

Most of the time when a new coin launches it doesn't look promising till a month or two later when dev's start doing their job. Unfortunately by this time all the super block/early mining rewards are gone which means you either win big or lose out. For example doge's launch was total shit and look at it now. Of course no one can mine a million or more doges these days so if you missed out try to find the next best thing before it happens.

This is why you see people with 50, 100, or more MH/s mining what appears to be total crap coins.

No one thought infinite coin was going to be worth anything. Read all the early hate (same as any altcoin these days) And yet a simple $100 investment (1 bitcoin back then) in july/august (was going for about 15 LTC satoshi) which would have netted about 100,000,000 IFC would now be worth over $10,000 due to the growth of bitcoin, litecoin, and infinite coin. Which is a much better ROI than just holding BTC over the same timeframe. All in just a little over 6 months. Obviously you wont be able to get such amazing results without bitcoin/litecoin increasing another 10 fold, but it totally is possible to make a decent return.

IFC again is a good example had BTC and LTC stayed the same price you'd still have made more than 33x ROI.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: