Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:53:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bitcoin rival? PAGA!  (Read 1520 times)
Singlebyte (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:16:56 PM

So has anyone heard of Paga? (https://www.mypaga.com/)

One million users in Nigeria (seriously) are using it for mobile payments.

1)  Imagine a service that "provides you with a fast, convenient and secure way to make and receive payments," one which describes itself as "the best alternative to carrying cash, using checks or ATM cards, traveling to and from the bank, and waiting in long lines to process payments." Sounds like Bitcoin right? Nope. It's Nigerian mobile payment service Paga, which passed 1 million registered users in November.

Source:
http://www.businessinsider.com/10-financial-innovations-more-exciting-than-bitcoin-2014-1

LOL...not sure if this belongs in the ALT COIN subsection or not....lots of debate about the section being deleted.   Shocked

-Edit-
Someone needs to introduce them to Bitcoin....no reason for another alt coin.  (Pun Intended)
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:32:56 PM

The article mentions Ripple. Does anyone know how many ripple currency units there are? My understanding is there is no way to check? Could be zillions I guess.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:32:26 AM

There is just one little detail. Services such as Paga or M-Pesa or their "First World" equivalents such as Dwolla or Interac only work within one country. Bitcoin on the other hand works worldwide. Nothing new here.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:47:57 AM

The article mentions Ripple. Does anyone know how many ripple currency units there are? My understanding is there is no way to check? Could be zillions I guess.

Ripple, wasn't that going to be the next big thing? Not heard much about it since mid 2013.
retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:59:47 AM

Really questionable article to say those things are changing the world more than bitcoin.  And m-pesa and paga have been big news for a while.  With the ever decreasing costs of smart phones, I would say they should be pretty worried about bitcoin.

People splitting the dinner bill is changing the world how?
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:09:20 AM

So has anyone heard of Paga? (https://www.mypaga.com/)
[…]
Sounds like Bitcoin right? Nope. It's Nigerian mobile payment service Paga[…]
Sounds like Bitcoin? Not at all.
Services like M-Pesa, Pingit, Paga are centralized systems that come with huge fees and are only accessible to registered users.

The fees for these services vary but can be as high as 30% for a single transaction from user to user.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:25:41 AM

Many of the 3rd world countys have highly unstable currencys.

If Bitcoins are successful services like this could provide people in 3rd world countries an easy way to safely store their (little) wealth away from hyperinflation.

See for example Bitcoin integration in M-Pesa: http://www.mobilepaymentstoday.com/article/216119/M-PESA-meets-Bitcoin-with-new-service-in-Kenya

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
techstorm2

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:31:21 AM

Ripple, wasn't that going to be the next big thing? Not heard much about it since mid 2013.

ripple is crap!

like we need another centralised currency which noone, except ripple central command understand.

Im sticking with bitcoin

Grin

Dime 7Q3cZtyJemmE8pJsrYgX24mHnkqZX6M6hP
BTC 18vbvovBeM5ZTZqR5ZWAy75EXE7qTNipuo
Mooncoin 2QgyivUMa7Zun6oPdxeE1yry1aNp5hqrDb
LTC Lg3UYGCAe3Tb146PiMqeGNLR7bnjdM447d
Doge DPd1XejW8TabJu5gfjyKnuQYQ9Vzw1anXN
web-project

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 10:37:07 AM

I heard about the PAGA a couple years ago, as I had a project to develop the PAGA payment module for oscommerce.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:40:39 AM

Yea, but can you buy an AK47 with a grenade launcher on Silk Road using PAGA

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:42:56 AM

If Bitcoins are successful services like this could provide people in 3rd world countries an easy way to safely store their (little) wealth away from hyperinflation.

See for example Bitcoin integration in M-Pesa: http://www.mobilepaymentstoday.com/article/216119/M-PESA-meets-Bitcoin-with-new-service-in-Kenya

Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting. I don't think it appeared in the press sub-forum.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:43:00 PM

Yea, but can you buy an AK47 with a grenade launcher on Silk Road using PAGA

lol. No. But neither can you buy that on SR anymore Wink
Singlebyte (OP)

Activity: 854

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:00:07 PM

Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting. I don't think it appeared in the press sub-forum.

I thought about putting it over in the press section but the article really wasn't about bitcoins so I chose not to.  Yes, some of the article was interesting, but other parts were stretching it a bit in my opinion.
crocko

Activity: 826

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:10:48 PM

ripple is crap!

like we need another centralised currency which noone, except ripple central command understand.

Im sticking with bitcoin

Grin

+1 I dislike ripple too

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
empoweoqwj

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:58:53 AM

ripple is crap!

Im sticking with bitcoin

Grin

+1 I dislike ripple too

As far as I know, Ripple is backed by Google's venture capital arm, another reason not to use it Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: