Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 02:44:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is going on in the Serious discussion section?  (Read 428 times)
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 2460

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 09:59:30 AM

I believe that Bitcoin Talk has forked. There is an underworld of bounty hunters and scammers, and an outerworld of members interested in Bitcoin and the better crypto-economies. I hoped that the mods could keep the underworld posts and posters on the underworld boards, but this doesn't seem to happen. The members inhabiting the underworld venture out to try to gain merit on the main boards, and because they have no interest in the main board topics, they contribute nothing to the forum. It would help if the underworld had its own beginners' board. This would allow genuine new members to find their place in the new world of digital assets.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:27:26 AM

Serious discussion needs to be restricted to members and above, and to be removed from activity credits in my opinion.

I kinda agree with this suggestion from Jet Cash. Serious Discussion board needs to be restricted for member and above . Below that rank, members can only read people's thread on there, it is ideal suggestion, because it sucks when you find trolls in a serious place. Removing activity credits from post on serious discussion should be done too. With that being applied, why would a spammer going there, right?
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1338

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 10:30:11 PM

I'm not sure why some people are making spammy threads on Serious discussion section. Maybe they think that it's easier to get Merit there, because this section aren't very active and it will be easier to notice their post. My second prediction - they don't know where exactly they are posting and what Serious discussion means. Maybe that guy thinks that question "How do I get Merit" is serious question and this section is appropriate place for this thread.
I expected that this section will be moderated more strictly, but maybe mods just aren't getting big number of reports from this section. It would be great to have dedicated mod for Serious discussion and Ivory Tower sections, but these sections aren't very active currently and there are no reasons to appoint mod there.

NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:28:36 PM

Those two posts are not on their proper boards. The first one should be on the Meta and the second one on Economics (I think so), so sad to know that even Serious Diecussion is now attacked by the spammers. And what feels me more disappointed is that there is a Filipino between those two spammers Sad.
If we dig down then we will find more. You will also notice spammy replies in the topics. It just do not make sense to me.
I am not sure if I should report the topics. Any thoughts?
I couldn't dig deeper and even the post itself is now off limits to me or missing (probably deleted already). Whether you really report those posts or not, the outcome becomes favorable for us — those spammy posts are now exterminated. 
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 11:41:58 AM

Bangladesh?
I know you saw me posting in the Other languages/locations section. Did you notice me to post in the Pyccкий (Russian)?   Grin

I know I am messing around however you are really a smart one. Originally I AM FROM Bangladesh but I can assure you that I do not physically live in there that much.

I expected that this section will be moderated more strictly, but maybe mods just aren't getting big number of reports from this section. It would be great to have dedicated mod for Serious discussion and Ivory Tower sections, but these sections aren't very active currently and there are no reasons to appoint mod there.
Ivory Tower IS a very peaceful section. But for Serious discussion, we really need a dedicated mod or at least one mod will need to volunteer regular scanning for Serious discussion board.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 07:32:46 PM

Serious discussion needs to be restricted to members and above, and to be removed from activity credits in my opinion.

I kinda agree with this suggestion from Jet Cash. Serious Discussion board needs to be restricted for member and above . Below that rank, members can only read people's thread on there, it is ideal suggestion, because it sucks when you find trolls in a serious place. Removing activity credits from post on serious discussion should be done too. With that being applied, why would a spammer going there, right?
I also agree with the proposal...
Unfortunately I think as the spammy topics are started to get deleted from Bitcoin Discussion on a higher volume (people reports them and mods delete spam topics) so spammers realized that there's no use opening meaningless topics in Bitcoin Discussion anymore (OK, all of them haven't realized that already, but a few...) so they are trying to find other places to spam... And they don't read the rules, so they don't know that the posts are not counted in the Serious Discussion.... poor souls Smiley
You see, those who are programming spamming bots are smarter and know that those posts are in vain if it's about activity count, so they don't let their bots to spam there...
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:03:23 PM

I believe that Bitcoin Talk has forked. There is an underworld of bounty hunters and scammers, and an outerworld of members interested in Bitcoin and the better crypto-economies. I hoped that the mods could keep the underworld posts and posters on the underworld boards, but this doesn't seem to happen. The members inhabiting the underworld venture out to try to gain merit on the main boards, and because they have no interest in the main board topics, they contribute nothing to the forum. It would help if the underworld had its own beginners' board. This would allow genuine new members to find their place in the new world of digital assets.

Some of us users are the nodes which are rejecting the current fork, and wish to continue on the existing one without the spam, and bounties. Then there's the newer generation supporting, and contributing to the "problem". I would agree that there's several issues right now, but I must say merit fundamentally changed the way people go about their business on Bitcointalk, and I see it as a generally good move.

Unfortunately I think as the spammy topics are started to get deleted from Bitcoin Discussion on a higher volume (people reports them and mods delete spam topics) so spammers realized that there's no use opening meaningless topics in Bitcoin Discussion anymore (OK, all of them haven't realized that already, but a few...) so they are trying to find other places to spam... And they don't read the rules, so they don't know that the posts are not counted in the Serious Discussion.... poor souls Smiley
You see, those who are programming spamming bots are smarter and know that those posts are in vain if it's about activity count, so they don't let their bots to spam there...

You could still very easily go there at certain times, and report up to 50 posts within the first 20 pages for breaching the rules one way or another. This isn't just referring to spam though. I don't think they've migrated to other sections it's just that there's a lot more of them venturing out into other areas of the forum on the hunt for merit.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 2460

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 09:20:22 PM

This merit awarding is quite a strange situation. I've got all these merits that I want to give away, but I want to award them responsibly, and there is a shouting and jostling crowd that is demanding that they are cast into their midst. It reminds me of the times I go to the lake to feed the birds. The Canada Geese rush over and shove everything else out of the way. I chuck the bread right up into the air, and try to get it to the moorhen that is waiting quietly at the back - that causes a real flap and some shouting. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: