Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:54:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN]GaltCoin - Full Release  (Read 16508 times)
FoodForThePoor

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 05:14:52 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 05:56:27 AM by FoodForThePoor

I'll toss some khash at this for a while just because I think we're not too far off from Atlas Shrugged.

FYI...Symantec Endpoint quarantined the wallet executable upon download.  Said it's been known for 2 days.  Nothing bad, just a false positive seems like.  Downloaded it from 2 places (a win32 install and a standalone qt) and both got the same message.

So far cgminer's getting accepted shares so looks good.  Could only get http://p2pool.neocities.org/coin_glt.html to work.

Wallet will not sync with the network until you add a Galtcoin.conf file posted previously.

No offense to the dev, but I think you have a great idea, just unprofessionally implemented.  Poor implementation can cause a good coin to get abandoned real quick while a crap coin that's polished may flourish.

GLT:  15TPb55MLZ9ip22gvrUpfBGu31QXxozuSM
plaxant (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 06:19:38 AM

I'll toss some khash at this for a while just because I think we're not too far off from Atlas Shrugged.

FYI...Symantec Endpoint quarantined the wallet executable upon download.  Said it's been known for 2 days.  Nothing bad, just a false positive seems like.  Downloaded it from 2 places (a win32 install and a standalone qt) and both got the same message.

So far cgminer's getting accepted shares so looks good.  Could only get http://p2pool.neocities.org/coin_glt.html to work.

Wallet will not sync with the network until you add a Galtcoin.conf file posted previously.

No offense to the dev, but I think you have a great idea, just unprofessionally implemented.  Poor implementation can cause a good coin to get abandoned real quick while a crap coin that's polished may flourish.

GLT:  15TPb55MLZ9ip22gvrUpfBGu31QXxozuSM

Our next release of the wallet will enable users to connect without the .conf. We're learning this as we go. And I think the big problem with the false positive is the unsigned files. That we're also working on.

Thank you for your feedback we do appreciated constructive criticism.

FoodForThePoor

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 11:22:15 AM

No problem.  I just know that most miners are "whiners"  Wink and if anything looks weird they'll trash a coin and try and bury it.

FoodForThePoor

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 07:39:47 PM

I could really see myself paying galts for groceries, but almost 24 hours of mining, tons of accepted shares on all pools, no wallet deposits and I triple checked the wallet addresses and miner settings as part of due diligence.  Dedicated around 100 KHash to each pool except for CrytoPoolMining (only about 33KHash).

Will give it another couple of hours, if still nothing then it's back to other coins.  I mine as part of a donation strategy to feed the poor so wasting hash means a baby out there is starving to death.

Issues with Galt I've found so far that may be experienced by the average user/miner:

1 - Two wallet downloads available (one comes with an installer, one is just a standalone -qt.ext file)
2 - Both wallets get quarantined on download from false positives
3 - Wallets will not sync without a custom conf file
4 - Wallets continue to use an outdated logo which may lead some to believe they have the wrong wallet
5 - With custom conf wallets only sync to the network half the time (could be user/pc error...but still not user friendly)
6 - Mining shows accepted shares on multiple pools, no deposits
7 - $50 USD required for support
8 - Lack of interest and dev admitted lack of promotion
9 - Source not fully edited (still traces of "bitcoin" wording so it appears the copy/paste wasn't fully edited)

Nice coin name, good principles, but so far doesn't look good.

plaxant (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 07:55:11 PM

I could really see myself paying galts for groceries, but almost 24 hours of mining, tons of accepted shares on all pools, no wallet deposits and I triple checked the wallet addresses and miner settings as part of due diligence.  Dedicated around 100 KHash to each pool except for CrytoPoolMining (only about 33KHash).

Will give it another couple of hours, if still nothing then it's back to other coins.  I mine as part of a donation strategy to feed the poor so wasting hash means a baby out there is starving to death.

Issues with Galt I've found so far that may be experienced by the average user/miner:

1 - Two wallet downloads available (one comes with an installer, one is just a standalone -qt.ext file)
2 - Both wallets get quarantined on download from false positives
3 - Wallets will not sync without a custom conf file
4 - Wallets continue to use an outdated logo which may lead some to believe they have the wrong wallet
5 - With custom conf wallets only sync to the network half the time (could be user/pc error...but still not user friendly)
6 - Mining shows accepted shares on multiple pools, no deposits
7 - $50 USD required for support
8 - Lack of interest and dev admitted lack of promotion
9 - Source not fully edited (still traces of "bitcoin" wording so it appears the copy/paste wasn't fully edited)

Nice coin name, good principles, but so far doesn't look good.

7 - We offer full support available at our sourceforge link. If you want my personal support including skype or team viewer helping set things up I charge for my time.

We're working on the other issues. We have a very small team, with all of us that have full time jobs and families too. We brought on a new PR person that will be starting on Monday to help with the overall promotion. If someone compiles the wallet from the source there is a new splash page and the updated logo.

We're working out why the wallet won't operate without the dedicated .conf file and that should be resolved in the next build.

bardi.harborow

Activity: 114

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:16:43 AM

If anyone is looking for a pool, here is mine: http://mine.bardiharborow.tk/
Acidyo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:18:03 AM

This coin seems really clean.
CartGeezer

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 11:59:51 AM

Just who is John Galt anyway?

Read Rand's "Atlas Shrugged".  All will be revealed.

CURE DEM DMD GPL HBN HYPER KED POT TEK  THC -   I'm such a PoS
GaltCoin

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:17:57 AM

Hey all,

I am the one that Plexant was referring to. I will be heading the marketing and public relations for GaltCoin from this point forward.

We would like to humbly request your forgiveness for the quick and rather heavy handed responses that have been dished out from our team.

On behalf of the entire GaltCoin team, and I do speak for all of us, I would like to apologize. While it is not an excuse for our behavior, I hope that everyone can understand the frustration that ensues when one fails to properly communicate an idea believe to be uniquely powerful.  This frustration is  of course misdirected, engineers are not always the best at dealing with people, and the true fault was our inability to properly relay the conceptual strength that will allow our currency to prevail.

I will be addressing all previously asked questions in full over the next few hours and I hope that I can relieve some of the well founded and fair concerns that resulted from our poor communication.  We have had very similar concerns with other currencies and this actually lead to our development of this coin.

That being said, I would like to address any additional or exceedingly important questions, comments and concerns. Repetition is not an issue, I have the patience of an immortal for this one thing alone.

In fact, I encourage anyone willing to repeat any previous questions so that I may be sure not to miss them.

All that being said, I am perfectly willing to relay my personal contact information to all those interested.  I have nothing to hide and we at GaltCoin believe in a transparency of administration and privacy of individuals. We have nothing to hide and thus nothing to fear.

I have previously lurked on this site long ago but have since moved on to various FB groups related to the cryptocurrencies I have been monitoring. If you wish to contact me through FB or Twitter you may do so through the official @GaltCoin twitter and GaltCoin FB page respectively or through my personal accounts available to anyone on request by PM.  In the interest of allowing all to observe and learn from our interactions I would prefer most communication to take place in the official pages though I understand that some matters or concerns might be personal.

We have also established a GaltCoin subreddit.

I look forward to working with you all,
John Galt
NIF

P.S.
Remember: Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong

GaltCoin

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:09:41 AM

Me agian,

Since there were not any takers I want to address the 1,000 coin and 10,000 coin discrepancy first.

Almost every coin today is premined to some extent. There are of course the few that are not. There are certain things that indicate that a premine is malicious in nature:

1. A vast supply of coins is premined
2. These coins are held, hoarded and unused
3. The creators push for the coin to be quickly included in the exchanges
4. There is a limited transparency present in the administration and the precoins are never directly recognized.

With GaltCoin here is what you can expect:

1. 50,000 coins have been premined. ALL of which will be utilized for the purposes of marketing and publicity. These expenditures will be kept on record and the transactions can be monitored using the block explorer.
2. To be clear, none of the coins will be hoarded or held for any extended period of time. All expenditures will be readily available and fully documented.
3. GaltCoin is opposed to its inclusion in exchanges and would rather the exchange of GaltCoin be for services, namely eServices until the community interest and confidence allows for expansion.
4. GaltCoin prides itself in its commitment to transparency, integrity, honesty and community service.
armaan56

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:51:10 AM

Cmon guys we need to get more recognition, get the coin out there!

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
«««« CoiNuŧ.com  The Only BTCitcoin Options Exchange  »Secure« »Fast« »Fair« »Minimum trade 0.01 BTC«»»»»
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Acidyo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:53:14 AM

I can help market this coin if you create a subreddit and a working tip bot for it.
plaxant (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 02:43:05 AM

I can help market this coin if you create a subreddit and a working tip bot for it.

GaltCoin subreddit

As far as a tip bot I wouldn't have the first clue how.

lovecoin99

Activity: 118
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:08:53 PM

WTS 5K GLT

PM me with your price

voluntaryistonly

Activity: 16

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:04:19 PM

Hi,
been mining this coin now for some days, currently at 2600+ "shares" but no coins, minin with; https://cryptopoolmining.com/glt/
contacted the pool support they advised:
"This has to do with the network and how many blocks are found. Currently no blocks are found that is why most probably a lot of payments are shown as unconfirmed.
I would advice for all of us to start contacting the development team of Galtcoin. I even tried to give you some more details from the block explorer but it seems to be down (http://www.galt-explorer.com/)."
any advice would be great ;-)!
thanks,
VO

PS any news on the wallet for osx?
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:10:42 PM

How is this not just another memecoin? Give me one advantage this has over the leading coins.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
voluntaryistonly

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:28:41 PM

personally for me, this is more to do with my own philosophy, with the economics of it closely paralleling it. here is my take on it:

All people are born free with all natural rights, to fully exercise this freedom & the associated rights, we cannot have any entity (business, monopoly, government etc) dictating how this freedom is exercised. to that end we need a number of tools that will allow us the opportunity to fully realise our own individual potential, each & everyone of us. this coin (like other cryptcoins) is one of those tools.  the main difference with this coin is the ACTUAL (emphasis not shouting ;-) philosophy of the team behind the coin which is found here: http://galtco.in/vision/ but is short is this:
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”  Sign over Galt’s Gulch

take what you will from this. I hope that i have helped you understand the "reason" for this coin

Regards,
voluntaryistonly
(an objectivist in anarchist clothes)

Jungian
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:32:26 PM

personally for m this is more to do with my own philosophy, with the economics of it closely paralleling it. here goes"

All people are born free with all natural rights, to fully exercise this freedom & the associated rights, we cannot have any entity (business, monopoly, government etc) dictating how this freedom is exercised. to that end we need a number of tools that will allow us the opportunity to fully realise our own individual potential, each & everyone of us. this coin (like other cryptcoins) is one of those tools.  the main difference with this coin is the ACTUAL (emphasis not shouting ;-) philosophy of the team behind the coin which is found here: http://galtco.in/vision/ but is short is this:
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”  Sign over Galt’s Gulch

take what you will from this. I hope that i have helped you understand the "reason" for this coin

Regards,
voluntaryistonly
(an objectivist in anarchist clothes)

So just another memecoin, now dressed in libertarian clothes. You could just call the us dollar the galt dollar and it wouldn't change anything. What libertarian features does this coin have that the others lack?

voluntaryistonly

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:36:05 PM

So just another memecoin, now dressed in libertarian clothes. You could just call the us dollar the galt dollar and it wouldn't change anything. What libertarian features does this coin have that the others lack?

did you read the "vision" on the link I provided?  hey it is a "free-world' you do not have to like or mine this coin ;-)

regards,

VO
Jungian
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:39:10 PM

did you read the "vision" on the link I provided?  hey it is a "free-world' you do not have to like or mine this coin ;-)

regards,

VO

Yes. How does that vision change anything about the coin?

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: