Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:40:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New York wants to regulate Bitcoin  (Read 3105 times)
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:25:55 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 10:10:06 PM by sickpig

I only finished watching the hearings yesterday and they turned out much better than I thought.

Lawsky was much more level headed than some of the public comments he's made. I think there's a good possibility he acts much like the rest of us when we dug into the technology for the first time. Amazed. He mentioned once during the testimony about how his head was exploding. That is not a comment made by someone not impressed b by something.

public statements like this one?

Quote from: New York Department of Financial Services Superintendent Benjamin Lawsky
"We're always going to choose to squelch money launderers...even if it prevents 1,000 flowers from blooming"

come on there're tons of documentations out there they/he could have read before the hearings, the representatives of New York Department of Financial Services  have shown an extreme lack of knowledge on the matter they are supposing to regulate.

It would have taken 30min to read something like the Brito and Castillo paper ("BITCOIN A primer for Policymakers") before the hearings. I didn't  expect they read the Satoshi paper, though is quite accessible, but at least something easier to let them grasp the basics was mandatory imho.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
Jimfoxy

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:39:38 PM

Some good points in this article about regulation and the long-term future of bitcoins.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timothylee/2013/04/03/four-reason-you-shouldnt-buy-bitcoins/
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:57:11 PM

NYS wants to tax it and like everything overregulate it.
It's the main reason why we are losing business's are leaving and people are leaving this state in droves.
I have lived in NYS and various parts of it my entire life.  The greed and politics of the NY City groups is just sickening.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: