Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:22:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fee deducted from the transferred amount. Insane.  (Read 4230 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 07:16:27 PM

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the BTC-e withdraw form. It says "You will receive:". That's the amount the entered address will receive. If the amount in there is not the amount that the address is supposed to receive, well, then the amount was entered incorrectly. I think some things can be expected of the user.

I am familiar with the form.

Leave out the transfer fee deduction and you have users complaining of being ripped off.

Nobody said anything about hiding the fee.

Code:
Amount to Withdraw [btc][         ]
Fee: [btc]
Amount Deducted From Account Balance: [btc]
[Submit]

User enters the amount to send, site reports the rest.  Pretty simple concept.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stn (OP)

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:28:14 AM

Is there an exchange or wallet that charge no transfer fee to move bitcoins?

I'd like to know  Huh

You missed whole point. Nobody here against Bitcoin fees in common. But many people (and scripts) confused when sender sends say 1 BTC, but receiver gets 0.999 BTC. Deducting fee from transferred amount is bad!
Stn (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:35:25 AM

Consider making your merchant script more 'smart'! Despite the inability (and sometimes intention) of customers to send proper payments, you should think of how much is missing (total percentage) and is it worth the hassle with the delayed and pending order.

Compare it e.g. to bastards from hell PayPal. They deduct a noticeable percentage as fee. If the percentage you miss is below that, don't care and swallow it. At least with Bitcoins noone can freeze your account or charge back the payment. That alone is worth it over fu***** PayPal.

Nothing wrong with Paypal. They may deduct fees but they do accurately inform your script that payment arrived in full and allow script to trigger.

But BTC-e does stupid things confusing people and scripts.
Stn (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:38:46 AM

Unless we take care of these small issues, BTC will never get popular with online merchants.

I already do my leaving being a Bitcoin merchant. You comment is senseless.
Stn (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:46:07 AM

Simple fact that this BTC-e withdrawal brings a lot of pros and cons arguments means that it is designed not well. If it be good nobody will rise any questions about it. Like say nobody will argue with their login form.
russokai

Activity: 130

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:37:24 AM

BTC-e clearly states how much is fee and how much is actually transferred.

Simple user error.

Yes so it is "user" error...that doesn't help this guy and other businesses who might take BTC.  A lot of people are rather dumb and they can't handle anything but the simplest payment process.
Stn (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:10:36 AM

Damn you BTC-e!

wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:34:33 AM

Have you checked the transactions to see if there is a common web wallet you can locate? If non-web, there aren't many options to test..
It is likely from some kind of exchange or pool that allows for customers to withdraw a certain amount to a certain address but will not send the entire amount.

Either that or the OP's customers do not understand that the miner's fee is the responsibility of the sender. Considering that the fee averages ~$0.06 per TX now I would really not worry about it that much unless your average TX is very small.

Stn (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:45:24 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2014, 08:11:09 AM by Stn

Either that or the OP's customers do not understand that the miner's fee is the responsibility of the sender.  

No one client argued that it was his responsibility. They just said: "Ah! I didn't noticed that!".

That what I demand make it noticeable! Not only in the moment of payment but in historical view too. Repeat it every time transaction mentioned. It is simple good practice method.

I do merchant operations with Bitcoins for 7 years now. And such problem regularly happens only and only with BTC-e clients. Doesn't it give any hint that something wrong in BTC-e?
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:55:33 PM

Either that or the OP's customers do not understand that the miner's fee is the responsibility of the sender. 

No one client argued that it was his responsibility. They just said: "Ah! I didn't noticed that!".

That what I demand make it noticeable! Not only in the moment of payment but in historical view too. Repeat it every time transaction mentioned. It is simple good practice method.

I do merchant operations with Bitcoins for 7 years now. And such problem regularly happens only and only with BTC-e clients. Doesn't it give any hint that something wrong in BTC-e?
Considering that the fee averages ~$0.06 per TX now I would really not worry about it that much unless your average TX is very small.
As said above since the fee is so small presently for most transactions the merchant should just absorb the TX fee as a cost of doing business. This would likely be less then accepting any other form of payment.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:00:27 PM

I am fairly certain no desktop client deducts miner fees from the amount sent.

+1 ... when i send to a QR-code, a sum ... the fees is added after (the merchand receive the exact amount that it has displayed in QR-code).

merchand : 0,1BTC to pay = QR-Code
me : scan QR-code
merchand : receive 0,1BTC
me : -0,1001BTC (0,1BTC+Fees of 0,0001BTC)
Kipsy89

Activity: 280

Relax!

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:05:37 PM

I do sell stuff for Bitcoin. Usually it works normal. But quite often I see buyers who order product but send less amount. It seems Bitcoin fee was deducted from that amount. Obviously merchant script does not trigger and waits for more bitcoins to arrive.

I wonder what insane Bitcoin client does such thing? May be I can post a notice warning such Bitcoin client users, that they won't get ordered stuff if not full amount arrived.

What do you mean, so they don't send you the full amount, because the client deducts a transaction fee? Man, that's messed up!!! That's not the way it should work!! Could it be that those people are just trying to scam you???

bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:08:05 PM

or just pound it into people minds to keep their coin on their computer based wallet and put high amounts in cold storage and just keep enough in their wallet to buy everyday things. I only keep about 1 coin in my hot wallet and everything else is in cold storage, and if i need to buy something, I usually go to coinbase to purchase the small amount of coin that is needed.

But storing your coin on places like btc-e is just bad business. one, you dont have control over the private key, and two, you dont have control over the private key, lol....
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 06:18:55 PM

I do merchant operations with Bitcoins for 7 years now.

You must be mistaken.

Still around.
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:53:54 PM

I do sell stuff for Bitcoin. Usually it works normal. But quite often I see buyers who order product but send less amount. It seems Bitcoin fee was deducted from that amount. Obviously merchant script does not trigger and waits for more bitcoins to arrive.

I wonder what insane Bitcoin client does such thing? May be I can post a notice warning such Bitcoin client users, that they won't get ordered stuff if not full amount arrived.

What do you mean, so they don't send you the full amount, because the client deducts a transaction fee? Man, that's messed up!!! That's not the way it should work!! Could it be that those people are just trying to scam you???
It was probably sent from a wallet that is meant to withdraw coins to your personal wallet (like how ghash taxes the TX fee when you manually withdraw from your pool account).

Stn (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:15:23 AM

You must be mistaken.
Yes I am. It must be read 4 years.
Stn (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:27:28 AM

As said above since the fee is so small presently for most transactions the merchant should just absorb the TX fee as a cost of doing business. This would likely be less then accepting any other form of payment.

Actually I do absorb fees for those mistaken transactions I describe here. But in common your proposal is nonce. Fee amount is not fixed, defined by free will of a sender. If it senders will then he/she must absorb it. Just pure common sense. What if sender transfer merchant 1 BTC with 0.5 BTC fee included. Would you absorb it being a merchant?

Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:40:58 AM

Actually I do absorb fees for those mistaken transactions I describe here. But in common your proposal is nonce. Fee amount is not fixed, defined by free will of a sender. If it senders will then he/she must absorb it. Just pure common sense. What if sender transfer merchant 1 BTC with 0.5 BTC fee included. Would you absorb it being a merchant?
If the fee is above the standard amount per kb (even 3x the standard amount at current levels) and the total fee is less then $0.50 then you should almost certainly absorb the fee. If the buyer would send some crazy amount for a fee (.5 in your example, or even .05) then I would reject the transaction and have the buyer resend the proper amount. A .05 fee would come out to roughly $30 which at this point is much more then the cost of doing business. You are correct in saying that the fee is set by the sender, but if the fee is reasonable then you should accept it.

If you owned a physical store would you not sell a $359.95 widget to a customer because they were short $0.25 when it cost you $200 to make the widget including advertising and all other costs?
Stn (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:53:11 AM

If you owned a physical store would you not sell a $359.95 widget to a customer because they were short $0.25 when it cost you $200 to make the widget including advertising and all other costs?
I don't know about widgets. I sell intangible goods which all handled automatically. And if payment is not in full the system waits for while and then drops it as being unpaid. I even not aware what is going on with every single purchase as they are automatic. In couple days client will call or write in search of his purchase.

Stop that bullshit about merchant fee absorption. There is nothing about saving costs. The system already designed that payee handles fees, no need to break this behavior and make merchant part even more complicated or even unpredictable.
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:47:26 AM

I see a lot of sites that when you try to withdraw your bitcoin they deduct the fee and make you pay it. I guess someone has to pay it so if you're selling something you should make clear who has to "eat" the fee.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: