Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:09:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fee deducted from the transferred amount. Insane.  (Read 4230 times)
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:31:55 AM

If you owned a physical store would you not sell a $359.95 widget to a customer because they were short $0.25 when it cost you $200 to make the widget including advertising and all other costs?
I don't know about widgets. I sell intangible goods which all handled automatically. And if payment is not in full the system waits for while and then drops it as being unpaid. I even not aware what is going on with every single purchase as they are automatic. In couple days client will call or write in search of his purchase.

Stop that bullshit about merchant fee absorption. There is nothing about saving costs. The system already designed that payee handles fees, no need to break this behavior and make merchant part even more complicated or even unpredictable.

A "widget" is something that is used as a placeholder in accounting and economics classes that takes the place of the good that a company is selling. It is another way of saying your product.

If your system considers a payment to be unpaid if the full amount if not received then what happens to the money that was sent you? I also am pretty sure that you said above (although it could have been someone else) that you accept the short payment.

The point of my above post is the importance of customer service, which is not part of the Bitcoin protocol. If it means that you earn a little bit less from your sale to make your customer happy then you should make a little bit less as the customer will be more likely to buy from you again. It is also about simple economics. The amount in question that you are saying you are being shorted is roughly 6 cents. Any viable business will certainly make more of a profit per sale then this (likely a lot more). If you were to give up a sale because a customer is $0.06 short then you would be giving up your entire profit from that sale for no real reason.
Stn (OP)

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 11:53:18 AM

I see a lot of sites that when you try to withdraw your bitcoin they deduct the fee and make you pay it. I guess someone has to pay it so if you're selling something you should make clear who has to "eat" the fee.
It is not necessary to make clear who has to "eat" the fee. Everybody knows that transferror does and nobody argues that (except weird Mobius). The problem only in BTC-e that they confusingly deduct fee from transferred amount instead charging on top of that (how all other adequate wallets do).
onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 11:55:00 AM

poloniex does this...
always bugs me when ordering a pizza Wink

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 11:39:53 PM

I see a lot of sites that when you try to withdraw your bitcoin they deduct the fee and make you pay it. I guess someone has to pay it so if you're selling something you should make clear who has to "eat" the fee.
It is not necessary to make clear who has to "eat" the fee. Everybody knows that transferror does and nobody argues that (except weird Mobius). The problem only in BTC-e that they confusingly deduct fee from transferred amount instead charging on top of that (how all other adequate wallets do).
I would disagree that "everyone" knows that the buyer/sender pays the fee. With most fiat baed payment systems it works the opposite. If you know a little bit about bitcoin then you know the sender pays the fee, but everyone who has bitcoin may not know very much about bitcoin, nor how it works. When you buy something on a website that uses coinbase then coinbase will make it very clear the buyer is responsible for the fee.

I am not saying that the receiver should always "eat" the TX fee, I am saying that if a customer deducts the fee from what they send then receiving $0.06 less then you otherwise would is a very small price to pay to keep the sale moving. If this is something a buyer does multiple times then it would be appropriate to say something to the buyer.
LeMiner

Activity: 139
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 12:00:45 AM

coinbase, cryptsy, blockchain... Almost all "web" wallets?
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 12:18:05 AM

BTC-e clearly states how much is fee and how much is actually transferred.

Simple user error.

Nothing is ever that "simple".  Sites should strive to make things transparent.  It is a better/cleaner interface to ask the user the amount they want to withdraw and then add the fee to that and show the user the total.

As an example billpay for consumers is often free, but billpay for businesses is often a charge.  I think we pay $0.20 or something like that.  I don't have to make sure to add $0.20 to the amount of the billpay because the bank will deduct it.  The bank pays what I ask them to pay, and they deduct the $0.20 from the account balance.

I mean if you leave it all on users and say "user error" then why even have websites.  Give users instructions and have them manually construct the TCP/IP packets to communicate with the service.  Ok I wasn't being serious on that one but you get the point.

Agreed deducting fees is a poor model. Customers are going to be inclined to withdraw the amount listed on the payment page; therefore wallets and exchanges should be consistent with the general consensus that fees are added.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: