Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 10:07:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for a semi-new miner please :)  (Read 176 times)
Hive_Mind (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 02:23:23 AM

Hey guys! My name is Hive and I am new to this forum Smiley

So I have been into bitcoin for years now, mostly just trading but I have recently started mining altcoins on Miningpoolhub and been getting some rookie numbers (around $2 per day) and want to improve!

My current setup is a simple gaming computer with 2 gtx1060s, and I am considering buying either asics or more GPU's/motherboards.

What would my best option for improvement be for around the $500 range? If I decide to get more GPU's, I would have to get a new motherboard as I currently have the MSI B130 gaming edition which CANNOT support more than 3 GPU. I could potentially get an asic though... I do not really know much about which ones to buy or value, however I do know how they work.

Any and all advice for a noob is welcome Smiley

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I currently have an EVEGA 1000w PSU AND an EVEGA 600W psu. Would it be possible to rig them both up? Not sure how that works. The 1000w is currently connected to my gaming rig.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 05:58:44 AM

For the motherboard: Asrock Pro BTC or Biostar TB250 are can put 6xGPUs with at relatively low price.

yeah can use both PSU simultaneously with the help add2PSU

nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 5640

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 06:38:04 AM

If you're into ASICs, do not buy anything other than SHA-256 like Antminer S9 for Bitcoin Mining.
Any other coins that could be mined using ASICs can change their Algorithm "in a snap of his finger", especially those one entitled as ASIC-proof like Monero.
Bitcoin however, (looks like) doesn't have a plan to change its POW algo.

My two cents is stay away from ASICs if you're not planning to scale to industrial level.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 06:40:25 AM

What would my best option for improvement be for around the $500 range? If I decide to get more GPU's, I would have to get a new motherboard as I currently have the MSI B130 gaming edition which CANNOT support more than 3 GPU. I could potentially get an asic though... I do not really know much about which ones to buy or value, however I do know how they work.

with your current improvement cost, adding more GPU to your rig were the best thing that you can do.

You were using MSI B130 gaming edition, from what I saw on Google image, this series, whichever version had four PCIe socket (2 x PCIe 1x - 2 x PCIe 16x). But I'm not sure since you said only three cards could add.

With $500 may you can add one or max two 1060 6Gb, so your current board has good enough for handling all of your cards at this moment. You don't need to add another thing besides GPUs.

I currently have an EVEGA 1000w PSU AND an EVEGA 600W psu. Would it be possible to rig them both up? Not sure how that works. The 1000w is currently connected to my gaming rig.

At this time those 1000 Watt was enough to handle your rig, even when you ad one or two more cards. But you can combine those two with some tools (as above said) or some technique (such as paper clip jump-start).
blockrev

Activity: 57

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 08:15:16 AM

RX570 RX580 VEGA56 are the most profitable. I'd suggest looking into the cryptonight-heavy algorithm and projects that use it.
Hive_Mind (OP)

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 04:43:16 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

I should mention that my MOBO lags out after adding 4 cards (I had 4 1060s at one point but for some reason, it could not support them; symptoms were constant input lag and slow response time on all inputs and outputs, I wish I could give a better answer. Imagine your computer running at 10fps I suppose). Also I have one more 1060 lying around I forgot about Tongue so 3 total. I guess getting a 6 card MOBO and a rig case would be my best bet!

Thanks!
blockrev

Activity: 57

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 09:37:58 PM

If you do decide to mine cn-heavy algo privacy coins, check out the tradeogre exchange
my detailed review of tradeogre: https://dapp.tech/tradeogre-review-scam-or-legit-new-privacy-coin-crypto-exchange/
they have most of the cn-heavy coins listed and are miner friendly
gtx 1060s are energy efficient and cn-heavy is asic resistant so still worth a look on them, especially with the new emerging projects using the algo, good luck!
avoid asics, more risky and stick with gpus, safer $$$ and more decentralized  Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: