Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 05:00:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Undervolting 7870s  (Read 860 times)
grache (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:30:02 AM

I've got several Saphire OC 7870s ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2J4ROE/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I'd like to undervolt them, while there's a bunch of info in undervolting 79xx, I haven't found much related to 78xx. My first concern is increasing the life of the cards, and second saving a little power. Unlike other cards, I haven't been able to find a BIOS switch, I'm pretty sure they don't have one. I'm little concerned about bricking them.

Outside of general undervolting advice from tutorials like cryptobadgers, does anyone have any advice?
induktor

Activity: 710
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:53:44 PM

Those cards, afaik, cannot be undervolted.

voltage control is locked from hardware, the only way to do it is with a hardware mod (essentially what you do, is make the card believe it is working at, let's say 1.5V, when really the card is at 1.2V, by faking the voltage sensing signal that goes into the controller) of course that changes from brand to brand with different controllers so it is not an easy thing to do, and if you don't know very well what are you doing, and have the proper instruments, you can pretty much destroy the card.

if you have enough 7870 identical cards (let's say, over 5 or 6, it may worth the risk doing it) otherwise i wouldn't mind, because it will end up being more trouble than it worth.

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:59:16 PM

I've got several Saphire OC 7870s ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2J4ROE/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I'd like to undervolt them, while there's a bunch of info in undervolting 79xx, I haven't found much related to 78xx. My first concern is increasing the life of the cards, and second saving a little power. Unlike other cards, I haven't been able to find a BIOS switch, I'm pretty sure they don't have one. I'm little concerned about bricking them.

Outside of general undervolting advice from tutorials like cryptobadgers, does anyone have any advice?
Well, you can try VBE7 the same way.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
induktor

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:11:51 PM

Correct me if i am wrong, but he has pitcairn series cards, and as far as i know VBE7 is for Tahiti and up.

Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:21:18 PM

Correct me if i am wrong, but he has pitcairn series cards, and as far as i know VBE7 is for Tahiti and up.
I actually used VBE7 for Pitcairn cards, namely a VTX3D 7870 and 2 Gigabyte R9-270 OC. Works the same.

██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
induktor

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:27:34 PM

I actually used VBE7 for Pitcairn cards, namely a VTX3D 7870 and 2 Gigabyte R9-270 OC. Works the same.
I didn't knew that!!!!, that is fucking awesome, thank you for the information, I have a friend with a great deal of 7850s that will be very happy with that info Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: