Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:18:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Brag: mined enough to pay my rent this month  (Read 2929 times)
DennisD7 (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:26:12 PM

OK so I like keeping track of total mined BTC every month, and just see what that is in fiat at the end of the month.
This is the second month in a row (and quite possibly the last one ever) that I made enough to pay my rent with for that month.  Cool

Proud ASIC miner and long term Bitcoin investor
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 04:17:58 PM

That is too cool. bet you're having fun.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:19:43 PM

How many months rent did it cost you to mine 2 months worth?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:57:15 AM

OK so I like keeping track of total mined BTC every month, and just see what that is in fiat at the end of the month.
This is the second month in a row (and quite possibly the last one ever) that I made enough to pay my rent with for that month.  Cool

How much hashrate do you have?
atc1

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:00:23 AM

Why the last one ever? If you have that big a hashrate,your earnings won't be going anywhere.

Sonny

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:09:22 AM

Why the last one ever? If you have that big a hashrate,your earnings won't be going anywhere.

As difficulty goes up, the revenue (bitcoin mined) will go down.
Eventually, the revenue will not be enough for OP to pay the rent Tongue
atc1

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:44:29 AM

That was my point. With him having a large enough hashrate to pay his rent,the difficulty increment can't possibly affect his earnings in a substantial way.

Sonny

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:29:14 AM

That was my point. With him having a large enough hashrate to pay his rent,the difficulty increment can't possibly affect his earnings in a substantial way.

Maybe his hashrate is not that big, and the revenue can only marginally cover the rent this month.
Xyver

Activity: 281

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:23:26 AM

I.... What?  Do you understand percentages?

If the difficulty rises 15%, your revenue drops 15%.  If you have 1 gigahash, it drops 15%, if you have 10 terahash it drops 15%.

Difficulty increments affect everyone equally substantially.

Unless of course, you mean that he makes (for example) 10 000 a month mining, and only needs to pay 1 000 rent.  Then an increase of 15% difficulty would only lower earnings to 8 500, still enough to pay the 1 000 rent.  But looking at it that way, that's more substantial losses the bigger the miners you have!  10 000$ revenue dropping to 8 500$ is a bigger monetary loss then 10$ dropping to 8.50$....

But percentages don't discriminate, they affect everyone equally.
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:44:13 AM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
atc1

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:47:35 AM

Unless of course, you mean that he makes (for example) 10 000 a month mining, and only needs to pay 1 000 rent.  Then an increase of 15% difficulty would only lower earnings to 8 500, still enough to pay the 1 000 rent. 

That's what I meant. Sure,it's substantial,but my point was that his rent can still be paid.

BeepBeep2

Activity: 184

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 05:50:47 AM

Unless of course, you mean that he makes (for example) 10 000 a month mining, and only needs to pay 1 000 rent.  Then an increase of 15% difficulty would only lower earnings to 8 500, still enough to pay the 1 000 rent. 

That's what I meant. Sure,it's substantial,but my point was that his rent can still be paid.
If his rent is $1,000, then "enough to pay my rent" could be, say, $1,050. Difficulty goes up 20%, becomes $800.
Is that not clear? He also says "and possibly for the last month ever"...

Come on.

BTC: 184DMeGc6E7CoQVH3A9NvcCuRVRcv3wE2Y | LTC: LP4iqohSWKiws4j9jTTnqd89EEffEymsoJ
Join Cryptsy, which is now faster than ever! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=102995
atc1

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 05:56:52 AM

If his rent is $1,000, then "enough to pay my rent" could be, say, $1,050. Difficulty goes up 20%, becomes $800.

Come on.

Gah! Alright,alright,you win! I was just stating one of the many myriad possibilities of OP's rent paying scheme.  Tongue

Sonny

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:35:34 AM

Come on.

Gah! Alright,alright,you win! I was just stating one of the many myriad possibilities of OP's rent paying scheme.  Tongue

lol  Wink
DennisD7 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:35:44 AM

That is too cool. bet you're having fun.
Yes, it's a lot of fun!

I don't even want to think about it Cheesy - but I see it as a somewhat expensive hobby. People buy vintage cars just to tinker with them right?

How much hashrate do you have?
It's about 132 Gh/s these days

DennisD7 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:44:19 AM

Come on.

lol  Wink

Just to clear this up Smiley

Mining with a constant hashrate it seems like each month brings in about 50-60% compared to the previous month. In late November I got a lot of new equipment, so I knew December would be good, and it turned out to cover my rent with a big margin. This happened again in January but just barely, so it seems reasonable to expect February to fall under the line.

However, if there is a big enough price spike then I could get lucky again - also if I decide to buy new equipment of course.

oxfardk

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:26:16 AM

it's good news for you
what kind of new equipment did you decide to invest ?

nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:49:21 PM

What equipment are you using?
What coins are you mining?
daserpent1

Activity: 435

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:43:26 PM

Well, you can switch to mining altcoins once BTC becomes unprofitable.

But on the other hand, the amount of bitcoins mined per month right now may not be profitable for you at the current BTC rate but, if there is another price increase/pump .. then the same amount of BTC would mean you are making a profit.

No one really thought that BTC could reach $1000+ in such a short time, but it did. So, you should keep that in mind while deciding whether to quit mining BTC or not.

I would stick to mining BTC/LTC and not bother with the altcoins.
DennisD7 (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:20:48 PM

it's good news for you
what kind of new equipment did you decide to invest ?

What equipment are you using?
What coins are you mining?

Well, you can switch to mining altcoins once BTC becomes unprofitable.

But on the other hand, the amount of bitcoins mined per month right now may not be profitable for you at the current BTC rate but, if there is another price increase/pump .. then the same amount of BTC would mean you are making a profit.

No one really thought that BTC could reach $1000+ in such a short time, but it did. So, you should keep that in mind while deciding whether to quit mining BTC or not.

I would stick to mining BTC/LTC and not bother with the altcoins.

It's all Bitcoin and it's all ASICs so I don't have much choice than to stick with it anyway Smiley
I use 2x 60Gh Butterfly Singles + 2x 7Gh Butterfly Jalapenos. I ordered them back in May so that sucked, but once they arrived it was a lot of fun to tinker with.

I'm totally expecting Bitcoin to go up a lot in the future - I remember this summer: "will BTC ever reach $200 again?", "I'm quitting, I should have invested when it was $10", and of course "what if it ever reaches $1000?". I'm pretty sure we'll look back on spring 2014 the same way, more or less.

Altcoins are fine, but I think BTC will be considered the "big, slow and steady" in the future, a bit like we think of gold today. So yeah, I'm sticking with it. To the moon, right? Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: