Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:08:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTX 1080  (Read 282 times)
MistShogun (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:18:42 PM

Hello!
I would like you to ask is it worth currently to buy GTX 1080 , i got an offer for 550Each (Used 24 months warrianty)
Why do i making this question?
Because as i read there will be new nVidia GPU's in 2018 April and wouldnt those be usles i mean They wouldnt be able to make an profit after eletricity costs?
Currently im paying 0,123USD per kWH.

What do you think guys abbout that?
Will they payback and give me some profit or not?
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 12:56:15 AM

Hello!
I would like you to ask is it worth currently to buy GTX 1080 , i got an offer for 550Each (Used 24 months warrianty)
Why do i making this question?
Because as i read there will be new nVidia GPU's in 2018 April and wouldnt those be usles i mean They wouldnt be able to make an profit after eletricity costs?
Currently im paying 0,123USD per kWH.

What do you think guys abbout that?
Will they payback and give me some profit or not?

Hi mate, I could be sure your profit is not that much as your electric price is a way expensive at 0.123$/kwh. If you like to go with gpu mining, you should consider more on which coin will ROI earlier, if the ROI is about 13-15 months, so dont need to think much, just buy the coins which you like to mine. Bitmain is going to release more asic miners, that's hard for us, I'm mining with quite cheap electric - ~0.075-0.085$/kwh, the profit is almost reduced 40% than that of last 6 months.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:58:30 AM

I definitely would not recommend it right now with difficulty continuing to rise, coin prices going mostly down and the aforementioned 12+ month period to break even. If you're looking to mine, I would wait a bit to see if things change, as GPU mining and mining in general is very risky right now.

There's not much of an indication how good the new nVidia cards will be for mining, but if anything FPGAs are going to continue to encroach on GPU mining too, and that's yet something else working against GPU mining at the moment.
Sledge0001

Activity: 600
Merit: 152

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 04:02:30 AM

You can buy new 1080's for $580 at Best Buy.

If you're gonna buy you can find a better deal.
tweetbit

Activity: 560
Merit: 112

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 05:05:24 AM

I think with those prices and the difficulties in mining this days with low prices of coins it’s not practical to build a rig. If this question been done last year, I will surely push and agree about it but with the massive increase of gpu prices because of its popularity rising last november to december 2017 the prices of it doubled, almost. And with your electricity per kwh it’s more of a wasted effort and time.  

HODL
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 05:58:54 AM

Yes, now prices coins aren't stable tent to decrease although now price of GPU a little decreased but still isn't time to buy new GPU except you don't have a problem with ROI.

remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:11:53 AM

MSI and EVGA 1080 can be had all day long at newegg for $550-560 usd. Also check Nvidia and EVGA store for deals.
kalymist

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 09:00:48 AM

agree, it's not time to invest in GPU.

Look at the earnings level, it's just so low.

The more GPU will mine, the less that earning will be.

That simple.

Rent GPU, is a better way to mine right now.

It gives you power to focus huge amount of GPU for a short time frame.
Won't cost you much, and definetely can resell for more cash than what you invested in mining contract.

That's the game.

Find some coins to mine, that will earn more than you spend in cloud mining contract.

And earn profit.

You also can rush into masternode mining, like you will mine enough coin to build a masternode (remember, early days masternodes are the one getting the most ROI rate ever).
Get your early position by mining a lot of coin at early stage of the coin.

Most of the time, it will give you strong profit in very short time Wink

bandibar

Activity: 238
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 09:06:45 AM

If you take these video cards, here's for you an excellent utility https://github.com/OhGodACompany/OhGodAnETHlargementPill
A new utility called 'OhGodAnETHlargementPill' significantly enhances the hashtrack of GTX-1080 and GTX-1080Ti graphics cards.

if necessary, I can tell you how to set up

With the miracle-utility purpose video cards 1080Ti is completely changed. Previously, it was always wiser to use them for mining on the Equihash algorithm, and now the application on the algorithm of Dagger Hashimoto became very profitable. Watch Whatomine - 55 MH / s vs 750 Sol / s.

Ethereum (2,76 $ / day) on 1080Ti became more profitable than any Equihash currency: ZCash (2,46 $ / day), Zen (2,67 $ / day), Hush (2,52 $ / day)
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2018, 02:51:33 AM

Well as I see, not only Bitmain will release out Z9 mini very soon at the end of this month, Innosilicon is also going to sell A9 Zmaster 50ksol/s Equihash miner at just 620W. This is really the hard time for GPU mining. I havent sold my GPUs yet, but I'm stuck on considering which coin I should mine in coming months. I got ROI already, so seem like nothing to loose, but I think we may get no profit since next August, may be just enough to compensate the electric payment, my GPUs: RX580, and P106-100.  
Kryptowolf512

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

German Translator - Hire me on Bitcointalk!

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2018, 07:20:14 AM

Well as I see, not only Bitmain will release out Z9 mini very soon at the end of this month, Innosilicon is also going to sell A9 Zmaster 50ksol/s Equihash miner at just 620W. This is really the hard time for GPU mining. I havent sold my GPUs yet, but I'm stuck on considering which coin I should mine in coming months. I got ROI already, so seem like nothing to loose, but I think we may get no profit since next August, may be just enough to compensate the electric payment, my GPUs: RX580, and P106-100.  
You still have some algorithms that are ASIC resistant. I would go for them. Equihash will be dead next month.
But if Zencash,Zcash etc. will change their algorithm to a new ASIC proof algorithm, we will see good profits again Smiley
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 08:55:16 AM

Aside from what others have already mentioned, the 1080 as a GPU is not even a good buy in terms of efficiency. There are other GPUs out there like the 1070ti that mine with higher hashrate while at the same time consuming less electricity.

Don't be fooled by salesmen trying to lure you in with promotions and discounts. Do the math and measure the risks. Good luck!
newmz

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 11:29:27 AM

If you take these video cards, here's for you an excellent utility https://github.com/OhGodACompany/OhGodAnETHlargementPill
A new utility called 'OhGodAnETHlargementPill' significantly enhances the hashtrack of GTX-1080 and GTX-1080Ti graphics cards.

if necessary, I can tell you how to set up

With the miracle-utility purpose video cards 1080Ti is completely changed. Previously, it was always wiser to use them for mining on the Equihash algorithm, and now the application on the algorithm of Dagger Hashimoto became very profitable. Watch Whatomine - 55 MH / s vs 750 Sol / s.

Ethereum (2,76 $ / day) on 1080Ti became more profitable than any Equihash currency: ZCash (2,46 $ / day), Zen (2,67 $ / day), Hush (2,52 $ / day)

this post is very very important if you are considering 1080s.

1080s (and 1080tis) use GDDR5x instead of GDDR5 memory which makes them pretty bad mining cards for any algorithms which are very memory dependent (like ethereum, cryptonight and others)

However, if you use OhGodAnETHlargementPill it can make 1080s very competitive, especially if you powerlimit them aggresively.

It really depends what you intend to mine. Honestly, as mentioned by someone else, I think the 1070ti or even regular 1070s are much a much better buy in terms of versatility - but that's obviously only if you can get them at good prices.

Waiting for Nvidia's next series could take many months and they will initially be VERY expensive, and who knows what kind of memory architecture they will use.

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
Blijjard

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 01:08:44 PM

MSI is a good brand. Distributor is also ok, but the price so high
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: