Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:20:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PGP is a better solution than Privnote  (Read 284 times)
BitcoinNewsMagazine (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 10:32:27 PM
Merited by minerjones (2), Zepher (1)

I have received several PMs "encrypted" by Privnote. Self-destructing messages like Privnote are server side and really should not be considered secure. Better than clear text but offers more of a false sense of security in my opinion.

If you need to encrypt PMs you really should consider using PGP with a key strength of 4096. The easiest PGP program to use is gpg4usb which has very good documentation to explain how to use. Privnote is popular because it is easy to use. PGP only takes a minute once you learn how to use it, but you must have the public key of the recipient to send an encrypted message.

I suggest use of PGP for all, not just sensitive private messages should be routine. It is not that hard once you read the manual and try a few times. You will see I have already added a link to my PGP public key in my signature. On topic comments are welcome.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zepher
Copper Member

Activity: 686
Merit: 603

Electricity is really just organized lightning

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:07:36 PM
Merited by BitcoinNewsMagazine (1)

Agreed. PGP is used by a fair number of us, but at the same time a LOT of people fail to understand how the software works. They may try it out, take a look at this complicated program (they are all complicated when you have never used PGP software before) and then a lot of them give up trying to learn. I am guessing that if they want to prove who they are, they would rather sign a message from a Bitcoin address.

So all in all, I totally agree with you - I just don't see enough people taking the time to learn how to use it. Not currently anyway..

Its a steep learning curve when it comes to PGP - however - it is an easy one to master though.

Just my 2 sats.

My only payment address: 1ZephertJThxkHih7XcaUHBkMSnvkTt5u
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:46:43 PM
Merited by minerjones (1)

This is why everyone should just accept invites from keybase.io and spend 10 minutes. it's not that fucking hard really... if anyone wants an invite, let me know, but I doubt you even need them anymore as it's all free.... even encrypted chat.

Point being.... Agree 100% .... But... we are inherently lazy humans, so whoever owns privnote.com could have millions of "dox"....  Huh    I guess it comes down to your own choice - how much do you trust them, or how much do you NOT care if your details leak?

Ill leave it at that. Many users just send me their shipping details because they either don't care, or don't care about pgp/privnote...  More steps in the process of buying things turns people off I guess? Roll Eyes

Great post btw, been waiting for someone to say something myself! Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 12:46:15 AM

I don't really understand privnote if I am completely honest, I've never used it.

What value does privnote offer me as a regular user or buyer of a good or service?
Zepher
Copper Member

Activity: 686
Merit: 603

Electricity is really just organized lightning

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 12:58:46 AM

I don't really understand privnote if I am completely honest, I've never used it.

What value does privnote offer me as a regular user or buyer of a good or service?

Its basically a self destructing notepad. You write whatever you want, click encrypt, send the other party the link, and the moment it is clicked the note is destroyed and the link is dead. The recipient must copy the info before they close the tab.

It protects your real identity in case you send your name and address in plain text to another member who doesn't delete the PM after they have done what they needed your details for. Later on down the road their account gets hacked/sold etc, and if the scenario described above happens, you've just been doxed. Using privnote will obviously avoid this. Hope this helped somewhat Smiley

My only payment address: 1ZephertJThxkHih7XcaUHBkMSnvkTt5u
BitcoinNewsMagazine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 12:59:47 AM

If you are sending shipping address or txid you can encrypt it in a privnote that self destructs after being read (as long as privnote.com is really a secure service, does not keep readable copies.) If the forum was hacked and all your PMs were privnotes or PGP encrypted the hacker would not be able to gather personal information. As long as you used a secure password for PGP.

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:16:14 AM

Its basically a self destructing notepad. You write whatever you want, click encrypt, send the other party the link, and the moment it is clicked the note is destroyed and the link is dead. The recipient must copy the info before they close the tab.

It protects your real identity in case you send your name and address in plain text to another member who doesn't delete the PM after they have done what they needed your details for. Later on down the road their account gets hacked/sold etc, and if the scenario described above happens, you've just been doxed. Using privnote will obviously avoid this. Hope this helped somewhat Smiley

Thanks mate that's what I thought.

The reality of it is for me I see it as something that is very unlikely to happen and even IF the account is breached or the server where the message is ultimately stored someone would need to find my message and have a need for my particular details (which ultimately will only ever be my name and address basically).

I admit there is a chance for something to happen but the chances seem really low.  Perhaps it's simple naivete on my part? I am open to looking at that as an option LOL.

I mean I can definitely see sending important stuff like KYC documents, passports, ID's etc but in reality I won't ever be sending these kinds of docs or info to anyone here!!!!  Of course if I did have a need to send something important I think PGP makes a lot more sense as outlined in the OP

I can also see a great use for business documents and contracts or other IP but in terms of simple shipping details I guess I will just continue to roll the dice as I don't see the need for the extra steps.
BitcoinNewsMagazine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 01:42:01 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2018, 03:03:34 AM by BitcoinNewsMagazine

Agreed. PGP is used by a fair number of us, but at the same time a LOT of people fail to understand how the software works. They may try it out, take a look at this complicated program (they are all complicated when you have never used PGP software before) and then a lot of them give up trying to learn. I am guessing that if they want to prove who they are, they would rather sign a message from a Bitcoin address.

So all in all, I totally agree with you - I just don't see enough people taking the time to learn how to use it. Not currently anyway..

Its a steep learning curve when it comes to PGP - however - it is an easy one to master though.

Just my 2 sats.

Very good points but remember not all PGP clients are hard to use. gpg4usb is by far the easiest; just read the documentation, create your key pair, try out a few times and you are good to go. As close to dead simple as possible. It is stand alone and portable, does not need to be installed and does not interface with email clients. Just manages keys, encrypts/decrypts and signs messages. Programs like Kleopatra confuse a lot of new users and turn them off to PGP.

phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 04:05:11 AM

I guess you can't really force people to use PGP, but I know for me personally I hesitate on bothering people for their pub keys if you don't know they use PGP in the first place.  Maybe for all people willing to use PGP for extra piece of mind in not trusting third parties, they can just include their pub key to all their sales posts from now on so the winner/buyer can have the option if he chooses to do so and not have to wonder if the seller would be willing to communicate via PGP.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: