Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:45:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to change location of wallet? (external harddrive)  (Read 1905 times)
danster82 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:19:02 PM

I want to install electrum to an external harddrive and have the wallet on the external harddrive also. Therefore I can simply unplug the wallet after use and only plug the harddrive in when I want to use it.

Is there a way to change the wallet directory?

Thanks
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 05:44:14 PM

If you are using Windows to access to Electrum, then you can use the Portable version.

In linux you can point to the wallet file using the -w tag

./electrum -w PATH/TO/WALLET_FILE

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
strabadser

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:21:49 AM

I am attempting to follow the instructions for opening an alternative wallet in an existing Electrum installation on a Mac in OSX - 10.6.8 and running the last stable version of Electrum 1.9.4 for that OS version.  I am using the Apple terminal to start Electrum and trying to point it to a wallet file on another volume, but I get the response that "-w" is an "invalid option".  Electrum does start from the terminal using  -a Electrum but from there I can't seem to connect with the path to the wallet.  Any suggestions much appreciated.
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 01:07:14 PM

In linux OR OSX you can point to the wallet file using the -w tag

Enter this in Terminal if you are using the Mac App

cd /Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/MacOS

./electrum -w (drag the wallet file here)

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
NewBTCGuy

Activity: 15

View Profile
February 25, 2016, 01:29:32 AM

In linux OR OSX you can point to the wallet file using the -w tag

Enter this in Terminal if you are using the Mac App

cd /Applications/Electrum.app/Contents/MacOS

./electrum -w (drag the wallet file here)

This appears to be a one time solution - you have to open Electrum this way through terminal everytime if you want to store your wallet file somewhere other than the hidden .electrum folder in user's home directory.  Is there a way to point the program to a wallet file in another location permanently in Mac OS (10.11.4 El Capitan)?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: