Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:28:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info can't spend due to unconfirmed transaction  (Read 5606 times)
porkbelly (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:43:03 PM

I am testing out some scenarios with micro payments, for instance sending 0 fee micro-transactions. I sent one for $0.01 and one for $1.00 both with 0 fees. Now, I can no longer send from that wallet address, even though I have .14 BTC in the wallet. I get a message:

"This transaction cannot be sent because there are insufficent funds available. This may be due to additional miners fees or unconfirmed transactions.

The transaction can either be cancelled. Or the amount to send can be adjusted to match the maximum amount available to send."

So, my 2 unconfirmed transactions are stuck in there, which are causing this.

How do I recover from this?

https://blockchain.info/tx/d85e19106ff6c88eaaa671ab754ff94d7810621760fc78acfebbc41f1d6d4203 (this one was sent yesterday)
https://blockchain.info/tx/415d943c56020b5c09b4f0fc7dcb02c9969d342a053c48dc52c7bbe902773a23 (this one was sent today)

Thanks!
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:50:58 PM

I am testing out some scenarios with micro payments, for instance sending 0 fee micro-transactions. I sent one for $0.01 and one for $1.00 both with 0 fees. Now, I can no longer send from that wallet address, even though I have .14 BTC in the wallet. I get a message:

"This transaction cannot be sent because there are insufficent funds available. This may be due to additional miners fees or unconfirmed transactions.

The transaction can either be cancelled. Or the amount to send can be adjusted to match the maximum amount available to send."

So, my 2 unconfirmed transactions are stuck in there, which are causing this.

How do I recover from this?

https://blockchain.info/tx/d85e19106ff6c88eaaa671ab754ff94d7810621760fc78acfebbc41f1d6d4203 (this one was sent yesterday)
https://blockchain.info/tx/415d943c56020b5c09b4f0fc7dcb02c9969d342a053c48dc52c7bbe902773a23 (this one was sent today)

Thanks!

It is likely that your tx will never be confirmed.
If you stop re-broadcasting the tx, it will be dropped by all the nodes after a day or so, and you will return back to your original situation before creating the those two tx.
porkbelly (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:56:02 PM

That is what I was thinking, but how to stop the tx of this? Do I have to go through the rigamarole of downloading my blockchain.info wallet into QT, deleting the transactions, then re-uploading it?
Sonny

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:57:51 PM

That is what I was thinking, but how to stop the tx of this? Do I have to go through the rigamarole of downloading my blockchain.info wallet into QT, deleting the transactions, then re-uploading it?

I am not sure if blockchain.info rebroadcasts unconfirmed tx.
If it doesn't, you can just wait for a day or so, and everything will be back to normal.

You only need to wait at this moment.
And no worries, your bitcoin is safe.
porkbelly (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:13:11 PM

OK, I'll wait it out.

I am also looking at this from a merchant perspective, the practicality of accepting bitcoin for in-store customers. I can't have a customer wait around for hours for confirmations. They could leave my store with my merchandise, and keep thier money, all by sending me a 0 fees with their transaction. I would have no way of forcing a fee on their wallet.
Sonny

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:18:07 PM

I am testing out some scenarios with micro payments...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219504.0
0.8.2 Release notes
Payments (transaction outputs) of 0.543 times the minimum relay fee
(0.00005430 BTC) are now considered 'non-standard', because storing them
costs the network more than they are worth and spending them will usually
cost their owner more in transaction fees than they are worth.

Such micro-payment is "not welcome" since bitcoin-qt 0.8.2, and I guess no merchant would be selling something for 0.00005430 BTC (less than $0.05).
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:18:14 PM

OK, I'll wait it out.

I am also looking at this from a merchant perspective, the practicality of accepting bitcoin for in-store customers. I can't have a customer wait around for hours for confirmations. They could leave my store with my merchandise, and keep thier money, all by sending me a 0 fees with their transaction. I would have no way of forcing a fee on their wallet.

Most purchases are large enough that they will get confirmed with no fee, but buying a stick of gum at 7-11 is vulnerable.  Either way you really should use a payment processor because you want dollars instead of btc.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
porkbelly (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:46:14 PM

CP1: Even with a payment processor like Bitpay, if the money is unconfirmed it will never make it into the ledger.

Sonny: Someone from another forum posted:

"blockchain.info can't undo transactions. they can only let you attempt to double spend them and stop rebroadcasting the old transactions so they might disappear from the network before they get included in a block, but I'm not sure if this happens."

So, will blockchain indeed stop broadcasting these after a few days?

If not, I found a potential solution here, which is something that looks like a real pain to deal with:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=231057.0

Sonny

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:51:44 PM

Sonny: Someone from another forum posted:

"blockchain.info can't undo transactions. they can only let you attempt to double spend them and stop rebroadcasting the old transactions so they might disappear from the network before they get included in a block, but I'm not sure if this happens."

So, will blockchain indeed stop broadcasting these after a few days?

Too bad, it seems my info is wrong Sad

It depends on how you made the first transaction.
I heard that when it's from a blockchain.info wallet, then blockchain.info keeps broadcasting the tx
If it's from bitcoin-qt though, yeah you (he) can delete that transaction from your (his) wallet with pywallet

Also, bitcoin-qt can import keys. I don't know about blockchain.info but I think so

It is really bad that site will keep broadcasting the tx, even if the tx is with no fee and dust output Sad
porkbelly (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:55:28 PM

Well, my $1 transaction has been confirmed with 0 fee - so that's cool. Not going to make that a practice though. Curious to see whatever happens with that $0.01 transactions, still stuck unconfirmed at 0% propagation and only 1 node.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:25:26 PM

As far as I know Blockchain.info stop broadcasting unconfirmed transactions after 2-3 days.
Don't worry you'll get your coins back, just wait for few days.
Bonio

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:18:46 PM

Ive been reading this thread with interest. Mainly because I too have 3 payments that have been unconfirmed now for 24 hours on.

I was creating 3 paper wallets. I send a small amount to each wallet. I didn't pay the miners fee like I have in the past as much as anything to test a theory that sending small payments to the needy does in fact cost money. When I first got into bitcoin one of the things that I kept hearing is "this means we can send micro payments to poor country's to help them out and its free unlike WU etc".

can someone put me right on this: If I send a large payment it will go for free and small ones wont?

The other thing that I find annoying is I have to pay to move BTC between my wallets, especially as it is not safe to keep it online. I can transfer fiat between my own bank accounts for free.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking Bitcoin but there is lots of wrong information out there some of it misleading. I do realise of course that sending money with banks and WU costs a lot more.

Just my thoughts.

Hopefully my transactions will get cancelled soon and I can try again Smiley

howzar

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:35:34 PM

You cant just send unconfirmed transactions around I think
jinjuro

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:48:07 AM

Blockchain.info will returned the btc if is not confirmed within 36 hours. As for using the bitcoin qt I think it will keep broadcasting it.
Bonio

Activity: 127

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:51:01 AM

Well its over 36 hours now and they are still stuck there :/

Good things come to those who wait though.  Tongue

JohnD

Activity: 124

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2014, 08:22:50 AM

I have exactly the same issue and my transaction is unconfirmend for more than 36 hours. Any ideas?
silvestar
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 02:18:00 PM

I have exactly the same issue and my transaction is unconfirmend for more than 36 hours. Any ideas?

First, in the future, you should create a new thread when you have experienced a problem instead of bumping such old thread.
Also, the unconfirmed transactions will get dropped from the site's memory pool after a few days as long as no one rebroadcast that transaction to the network again.
Lastly, you should make sure you include a standard transaction fee of 0.0001 btc per KB in the future, and you can prevent such kind of problem from happening.
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 08:38:06 AM

only you can do is wait and wait, because the transaction has not been confirmed will not be used by those who receive it, until the transaction is successful to be confirmed, until now I have also experienced a transaction that has not been confirmed in my wallet, hopefully the transaction can be immediately confirmed by the people who send me bitcoin ...  Roll Eyes

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: