Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:18:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you trust a pre-mined coins like XRP, NXT, etc ?
No
Yes
I dont know

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-mined alt coins  (Read 1909 times)
knightcoin (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:57:39 PM

Thanks for your vote, opinion.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Vivisector999

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:03:37 PM

All depends.  If the dev pre-mines a small portion, and is seen actively using it to promote the coin, ect ect.  Then sure.  In the case of Stablecoin's pre-mine for the coin washing process he is working on sure. 

But if I see out of the gate the dev disappears, or is keeping that pre-mine to himself, then I drop it quickly.  In Stablecoin's case, I dropped a week or so after the dev went AWOL.  It seems he has come back, but I haven't gone back there yet.  Maybe when all the dust is settled over there again.

And speaking of pre-mines.  In the case of Marinecoin, where 97.2% is premined, and the remaining 2.8% is mined at equal rate over next 1000 years, so that the dev can purchase a $15 billion dollar city, and rent out yachts to it's investors, I have to give a big NO

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
ChekaZ
Legendary

Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:22:13 PM

In my opinion NXT is a completely scam, same with Quark.

BTC: 1Ges1taJ69W7eEMbQLcmNGnUZenBkCnn45
FTC: 6sxjM96KMZ7t4AmDTUKDZdq82Nj931VQvY
coinrevo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:28:00 PM

what's your definition of pre-mine exactly? IPO is similar to pre-mine. ripple is "pre-mined"/infinitely inflatable. I think alt-coins asking for funding are worse than pre-mine, because skewing the market by bullying.
coinrevo

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:32:23 PM

simply answer because it works for the founders, as long as "community" (whatever that is), comes up with mechanism to show them the opposite. as I said IPO is worse than pre-mine as its moving a lot of BTC right away and there is no market price. this should really stopped or heavily restricted. people asking for xxx million dollars from the community will put a heavy burden on it, as it gives alt-coins a bad name.

Quark is not traded at a stable 20M$, but the amount going over the counter is small. which is a lot different than raising 20M$ in advance, as people pay in advance without a market price. I don't know how much mastercoin got and how that is going. there is no way to track it. marketprice went down 50% since IPO, but at least there is a market.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:37:01 PM

You cannot pre-mine something that you cannot mine. Sorry, your opinion is flawed.
You should understand the concept of Proof-of-Stake before talking about it.

Unfortunately, the brain is not used any more on bitcointalk these days.
Bansheroom

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:41:22 PM

In my opinion NXT is a completely scam, same with Quark.

same feeling here, just add ripple and all the new NXT-Clones

Always get cryptonews, free bitcoins, free altcoins and free mining opportunities: follow @Bansheroom on Twitter
knightcoin (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:44:51 PM

what's your definition of pre-mine exactly? IPO is similar to pre-mine. ripple is "pre-mined"/infinitely inflatable. I think alt-coins asking for funding are worse than pre-mine. I'm not sure exactly how protoshares was able to change from PoW to PoS.

Pre-mine in straightforward sense; coins are already mined and the only way to get it is buying it from original miners (or whatever the name you want to call it). But your analogy regards IPO was a good one... Its also reminds me that I believe it is fair to reward the early investors/adopters, but also reminds me that some IPO contracts can tell that early adopters must to sell (lets say, 20% of their stack ) after certain period of the time.. like stock pre-schedule sell off contracts ...  the analogy is like patents contracts where you hold a patent for certain period of time then it is available to public domain ...

coinrevo

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:47:45 PM

You cannot pre-mine something that you cannot mine. Sorry, your opinion is flawed.
You should understand the concept of Proof-of-Stake before talking about it.

You probably misunderstood what I was saying or I wasn't very clear. there are many different models. some are hybrid between PoS and PoW, some pure PoS, etc. Whatever you think about Quark and others, at least there is supply and demand on a market. as long as there is a market people can buy & sell at roughly fair prices (the current view of the value). although there are some issues like insider trading and a couple of other distortion tactics.

What I'm saying is that there shouldn't be large fundraisers. because that only leads to creation of hype and launch at an IPO distorting the price.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:50:42 PM

I invested my money in mining equipment so I'm all for PoW. The NXT and others where you need to buy in do not interest me. These are elitist coins and only people with money can come out winning. Kinda like what we already have with fiat.

superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:55:48 PM

I invested my money in mining equipment so I'm all for PoW. The NXT and others where you need to buy in do not interest me. These are elitist coins and only people with money can come out winning. Kinda like what we already have with fiat.

You don't want to pay for coins so you bought mining equipment ?

Oh wait...
knightcoin (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:06:20 PM

Oh wait...

True you rigth, nowdays you must to spend money on custom hardware; but in the begin wasn't that way... people supposed to use recourses they have already available like their cpu cycles... eg.: When I joined for the first time to a distributed computing projects ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects ) was because my computer CPU was 90% of the time idle...

superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:28:46 PM

Oh wait...
True you rigth, nowdays you must to spend money on custom hardware; but in the begin wasn't that way... people supposed to use recourses they have already available like their cpu cycles... eg.: When I joined for the first time to a distributed computing projects ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects ) was because my computer CPU was 90% of the time idle...

What was supposed to be open and democratic turned into the opposite.

In PoW, only the rich can afford the hardware to make profit.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:33:04 PM

I wouldn't trust any pre-mined coins. They go against the spirit of cryptocoins in my opinion.
strongcoin

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:33:55 PM

ripple, nxt completely scam
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:38:59 PM

ripple, nxt completely scam

Thank you for your interesting & educated opinion. You definitely got a point. The average level of education is rising on bitcointalk.

I wouldn't trust any pre-mined coins. They go against the spirit of cryptocoins in my opinion.

Explain the spirit of cryptocoins please.
coinrevo

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:44:45 PM

if it would be possible to short Alt-Coins you could all make money off your opinions, long and short. The market will decide. just focus on making the market work better.

for whatever reason some people valued ripple at 3B$, perhaps because silicon valley venture backing.
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:50:13 PM

What you are talking about ? You cant buy a normal ATI grafic card from the store Huh? This is not Bitcoin and try no to change the subject.

No you cannot make any profit with a CPU nor a GPU with Bitcoin mining because of energy efficiency. Sorry.

some people valued ripple at 3B$, perhaps because silicon valley venture backing.

No. Ripple is not a crypto-currency, it is a centralised IOU exchange. It has nothing to do here.
knightcoin (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:08:31 PM

What you are talking about ? You cant buy a normal ATI grafic card from the store Huh? This is not Bitcoin and try no to change the subject.

No you cannot make any profit with a CPU nor a GPU with Bitcoin mining because of energy efficiency. Sorry.

some people valued ripple at 3B$, perhaps because silicon valley venture backing.

No. Ripple is not a crypto-currency, it is an IOU exchange. It has nothing to do here.

I do see a potential in Ripple... honestly as an exchange.. although I would suggest to their develop team to do a better market campaign to make it clear for general public; or as Albert Einstein used to say “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” ... The reason I did make this pool is just because I was willing to confirm my findings while searching on the internet about alt coins..

and the 4 the special case "Ripple" my hypotheses is that Ripple still not seen by the crowd as IOU Exchange

Eg.:
Introducing Ripple, a Bitcoin Copycat
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-04-11/introducing-ripple-a-bitcoin-copycat

Is Ripple XRP The Next Bitcoin?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMng_I_gtK8

and so on ...

superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:19:10 PM

No. Ripple is not a crypto-currency, it is an IOU exchange. It has nothing to do here.
I do see a potential in Ripple... honestly as an exchange.. although I would suggest to their develop team to do a better market campaign to make it clear for general public; or as Albert Einstein used to say “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” ... The reason I did make this pool is just because I was willing to confirm my findings while searching on the internet about alt coins..
and the 4 the special case "Ripple" my hypotheses is that Ripple still not seen by the crowd as IOU Exchange
Eg.:
Introducing Ripple, a Bitcoin Copycat
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-04-11/introducing-ripple-a-bitcoin-copycat
Is Ripple XRP The Next Bitcoin?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMng_I_gtK8
and so on ...

I am not saying Ripple is not a great centralized IOU exchange but as you pointed out, we cannot expect people to make a difference between an exchange and a crypto-currency neither between PoW and PoS.

Anyway, the next big step are the cypto-platforms supporting decentralized p2p exchange and mixing.

At this point I don't expect anyone to follow what I am saying but maybe you would.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: