Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:36:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan issue  (Read 195 times)
grotoc (OP)

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 09:34:02 AM

Hi,

I have recently tried to put all my miners in server case, and in order to do it, I needed good fan in order to push some fresh air in it. I bought 100 x delta fans on alibaba from here : https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DELTA-QFR1212GHE-12-volt-dc-cooling_60637647291.html

But I must admit that was not a great move because the fans are dying one by one. Some work for several days, then they just stoped. For now, I've installed about 30 fans, and more that 10 fans are already dead (in a period of one month).

I'm thinking of bad quality fans, but they were supposed to be new Delta fans.
Another issue is that there are several scratches of the back of the fans, what make me think that they are not new, even if the plastic seems new.

The seller is telling me that the products are original and new, and if they stopped working it is because of a too high temperature. But in my case, the temperature of the room is about 30-40°C and I don't think it should be an issue.

What are your thoughts about that ? Do you have any serious seller on alibaba where I could buy another batch of fans ?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 09:39:08 AM

Hi,

I have recently tried to put all my miners in server case, and in order to do it, I needed good fan in order to push some fresh air in it. I bought 100 x delta fans on alibaba from here : https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DELTA-QFR1212GHE-12-volt-dc-cooling_60637647291.html

But I must admit that was not a great move because the fans are dying one by one. Some work for several days, then they just stoped. For now, I've installed about 30 fans, and more that 10 fans are already dead (in a period of one month).

I'm thinking of bad quality fans, but they were supposed to be new Delta fans.
Another issue is that there are several scratches of the back of the fans, what make me think that they are not new, even if the plastic seems new.

The seller is telling me that the products are original and new, and if they stopped working it is because of a too high temperature. But in my case, the temperature of the room is about 30-40°C and I don't think it should be an issue.

What are your thoughts about that ? Do you have any serious seller on alibaba where I could buy another batch of fans ?

You sure that the voltage supplied isn't higher than +12V to those fans?

Delta is a good brand especially for industrial use, they shouldn't die this fast.

I am think your PSU might be overvolting and sending too much potential difference to your fans.

Maybe take a multi-meter and measure your voltage.

grotoc (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 09:49:13 AM

The voltage is good, I have checked it. It comes from IBM 2950W server PSU. The graphic cards are also powered by it and I never had a problem with them.

Here is an image of the scratches I found on the fans when I received them.

jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 01:20:31 PM

The fact that the 20 out of 30 fans are working fine without breaking down probably indicates that the temperature is not a problem. Not considering that 30-40 degrees is already low, too high of a temperature would mean it's at the point where it could seriously harm your GPUs/ASICs as well.

I don't know any alibaba fan suppliers but i would strongly advise changing yours.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:24:07 PM

based upon what I'm reading and seeing, I think someone sold you poorly refurbished fans as new.

This may not be the direct fault of the reseller either, it could have been a supplier that ripped off a reseller, it happens on Amazon all the time.
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 01:53:31 PM

based upon what I'm reading and seeing, I think someone sold you poorly refurbished fans as new.

This may not be the direct fault of the reseller either, it could have been a supplier that ripped off a reseller, it happens on Amazon all the time.

yeah, looks like they've used old motors on new blades and bodies. Even cloned Deltas wouldn't die that fast. When you say 'dead' are they just not turning anymore, or locked solid/hard to turn by hand?

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
grotoc (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 07:05:50 PM

yeah, looks like they've used old motors on new blades and bodies. Even cloned Deltas wouldn't die that fast. When you say 'dead' are they just not turning anymore, or locked solid/hard to turn by hand?

I mean they are not turning anymore. And yes, I also suspected they used old motors on new bodies... I'm going to see if customer service of Alibaba is trustworthy...
grotoc (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 06:11:23 PM

In the meanwhile, I have three fans that litteraly broke. I've contacted the Delta company in order to know if there's a way to find out if these fans aren't originals.

Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 08:04:25 PM

I also use Delta's PWM at my rigs.

As the other said, the possible thing is those fans have refurbished (adding old motor into the new case), even the case was broken. As far as I know, Delta fans case was a solid and strong enough. Next, maybe you also need to add PWM controlling board (with slight modifications to the wiring scheme) to manage all of your running fans (for adjusting fan speed needed at several conditions).  Wink
Mohondoa

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 03:17:38 AM

Consider from your story and your pictures, I think the problem is from a power source, such as the voltage and the ampere-current.
Maybe the voltage is not normal needed by 30 fans because the ampere-current can not supply the 30 fans. Or your installation path 30 fans at one lane only. Try to separate 10 fan 1 lane.
nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 5626

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 03:47:35 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2018, 07:28:04 AM by nc50lc

Here is an image of the scratches I found on the fans when I received them.

-snip-
Those aren't regular scratches,
looks like the refurbisher needed to reapply some lubricant by pricking the thin plastic cap using a thin pointed metal.
You can't base the fan motor's temperature  to the room temp,
It was also exposed to the case's internal temperature and the motor itself will produce additional heat.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
grotoc (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:39:20 AM

I also use Delta's PWM at my rigs.

As the other said, the possible thing is those fans have refurbished (adding old motor into the new case), even the case was broken. As far as I know, Delta fans case was a solid and strong enough. Next, maybe you also need to add PWM controlling board (with slight modifications to the wiring scheme) to manage all of your running fans (for adjusting fan speed needed at several conditions).  Wink

On some rigs I have used to PWM of the motherboard in order to regulate the speed based on the graphic cards temperature (with fancontrol on linux). I thought that it will prevent them from burning, but there was no change. Some died even if they were running at 70% max speed.

In my setup, tree fans are used for each server case, and they are powered by the same atx cable that is able to sustain 20A (same as the graphic cards) so there should be no issue there. The three fans take about 8A so there's a room for it.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 07:12:05 AM

~snip~
In my setup, tree fans are used for each server case, and they are powered by the same atx cable that is able to sustain 20A (same as the graphic cards) so there should be no issue there. The three fans take about 8A so there's a room for it.

Seem like you were on the right setup, but I'm not really sure.  Angry

In the meanwhile, I have three fans that litteraly broke. I've contacted the Delta company in order to know if there's a way to find out if these fans aren't originals.

Have you got a reply from them?

If you were able to buy the same kind fans at you local (nearest) stores, Maybe you should buy it one, Just curious to compare it.  Smiley
grotoc (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 07:16:52 AM

If you were able to buy the same kind fans at you local (nearest) stores, Maybe you should buy it one, Just curious to compare it.  Smiley

- No reply yet.
- I have bought another batch of 6 fans from another seller on Aliexpress in order to compare. I'll post my result here.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 08:01:32 AM

- No reply yet.
- I have bought another batch of 6 fans from another seller on Aliexpress in order to compare. I'll post my result here.

Sound good.  Wink

I was wiring all of my Delta fans using Industrial Switching Power Supply (quite cheap), may it can be your alternative (in case you facing the same issue next time), with the number of your fans, you'll need a few.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: