Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:19:08 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between Multibit saldo and Blockchain.info. Please help.  (Read 963 times)
Imahara (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:09:43 PM

When I look at my multibit total for the wallet in which I imported all my backed up keys I get a total of 50 btc.

In the wallet are 4 keys/receiving addresses. The only key/address that holds a balance shows 70 on blockchain.info, so a difference of 20??
How is that possible, pretty sure it should be 70!

Thanks for the help!
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:11:00 PM

When I look at my multibit total for the wallet in which I imported all my backed up keys I get a total of 50 btc.

In the wallet are 4 keys/receiving addresses. The only key/address that holds a balance shows 70 on blockchain.info, so a difference of 20??
How is that possible, pretty sure it should be 70!

Thanks for the help!

care to share the address ?

Imahara (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:22:02 PM

I am feeling like such a noob that I think I better not share any more info before I know what is going on.

Trust me that Blockchain.info says a Final Balance of 70 for the receiving address that is in my wallet.

I upgraded to windows 8.1 from 8.1 preview. I had the private keys backed up to a stick, and I imported them into a new wallet with the latest version of Multibit.

One of the four addresses contains 70 BTC according to blockchain.info. Yet my multibit balance says 50.

Should I consider the blockchain info as final always?

How can I get Multibit to agree?

physalis

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:33:49 PM

So it's 70 BTC on one address? And multibit seems to ignore 20 of that 70, but shows the rest? That is odd.
If blockchain.info says there's a balance of 70 on that address, then that is (very likely) true. I suspect you didn't really import the right key for that address into multibit, or something like that.
Or you have actually discovered some kind of bug in multibit, which I doubt.

You could try creating a blockchain.info account and importing the key there, see what that tells you.

And you can really share the address here, it's not like we could do any harm to you with it.
Imahara (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:41:25 PM

If the receiving address is in my wallet and the blockchain says that address holds 70. Than I should be able to spend that 70 right? It couldnt be that a single address has several private keys, some of which may not have been in the backup? I imported the keys from a backup.

I believed there is one private key for one address right?

(I dont want to link my balances to this bitcointalk account, sorry)
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:44:53 PM

Re-synch the Multibit wallet and it might pick up the missing transactions
physalis

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:52:52 PM

I believed there is one private key for one address right?

For all intends and purposes, you can assume here that is true, yes. It's not theoretically, because there are more private keys than addresses, which means there are multiple keys that result in the same address. But that's not important. It's definitely not the case that you need multiple private keys for one address, and that one would only unlock a smaller amount of the balance.

If the receiving address is in my wallet and the blockchain says that address holds 70. Than I should be able to spend that 70 right?

I'd say so, yes... you haven't send any transactions recently to/from that address? It was completely untouched for a while (at least a few hours)?

Again, try importing the same private key into blockchain.info and look what that gives you.
Imahara (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:01:43 PM

Ok, so I reset the blockchain and transactions and now it shows the correct number.  Grin

The amounts were actually a few orders more than what I said, so you can imagine my sweaty handpalms!

Much thanks for the help. The forum quality compensates for the complications in working with Multibit wallets, backups etc. I thought that maybe 'change' of earlier spends had come back on different 'keys' and were lost due to not updating the wallet backups before changing from 8.1 preview to windows 8.1. Or something like that.

It is the cost of not completely understanding how everything works in detail, even though I am definitely not new to it.

I need a beer! Thanks guys!

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:10:39 PM

Ok, so I reset the blockchain and transactions and now it shows the correct number.  Grin

The amounts were actually a few orders more than what I said, so you can imagine my sweaty handpalms!

Much thanks for the help. The forum quality compensates for the complications in working with Multibit wallets, backups etc. I thought that maybe 'change' of earlier spends had come back on different 'keys' and were lost due to not updating the wallet backups before changing from 8.1 preview to windows 8.1. Or something like that.

It is the cost of not completely understanding how everything works in detail, even though I am definitely not new to it.

I need a beer! Thanks guys!

Glad to hear that.
Enjoy your beer and bitcoin  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: