Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:37:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Large volume on Bitstamp without Bid/Ask walls being much effected?  (Read 1166 times)
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:08:28 PM

As can be seen from this screenshot:

A rather large buy order got triggered at around 808 on Bitstamp. However, neither the Bid or Ask walls were much affected by this 'trade'. anyone got any idea what is going on here?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:23:19 PM

Once that buy order was filled, the remaining bid/ask prices remained the same.  That would happen every time unless it cleared off the sell wall, or there was a bid above 808
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:59:11 PM

Once that buy order was filled, the remaining bid/ask prices remained the same.  That would happen every time unless it cleared off the sell wall, or there was a bid above 808

No.

I was sitting watching this as it happened. For a big like that to go through on the exchange in the normal manner, it would either have to bite a big chunk away from the Bid or Ask walls. This didn't. It was as though a large buyer and seller magically approached the market at the same time and met each others demands to the tune of 800 BTC. Bid/Ask depth remained constant throughout.

Yet more fishy dodgy shite from exchanges that I really have trouble feeling that I can trust.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Eric14

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:39:47 PM

It was as though a large buyer and seller magically approached the market at the same time and met each others demands to the tune of 800 BTC. Bid/Ask depth remained constant throughout.

I have also seen suspicious trades occur way off the mean like your chart shows a few price spikes, yet the volume in the order book seems unchanged.  It seems the only way for this to happen is for a coordinated buy/sell with someone in control of both accounts.  I have seen some exchanges (btc-e) report trades out of order (based on time stamp) and sometimes several minutes later.  I have not tried to track their order book vs. trades to see what gets filled and if it looks real.  There could also be a significant delay in the book depth as well.

The thing that is most suspicious about these events is the price seems unaffected.  If the book depth was truly eaten into then the price should rise at some point even if it is delayed.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:58:53 PM

No.

I was sitting watching this as it happened. For a big like that to go through on the exchange in the normal manner, it would either have to bite a big chunk away from the Bid or Ask walls. This didn't. It was as though a large buyer and seller magically approached the market at the same time and met each others demands to the tune of 800 BTC. Bid/Ask depth remained constant throughout.

Yet more fishy dodgy shite from exchanges that I really have trouble feeling that I can trust.

Are you logged into bitstamp and bitcoinwisdom at the same time, or just bitcoinwisdom?   If you look at the prices on bitcoinwisdom, the prices are sometimes different than on the exchange itself.  Coinbase is like this frequently.   Bitcoinwisdom will say that the price at coinbase is a certain dollar amount, but then if you are logged into coinbase, then the price is different.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: