Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 06:45:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cgminer BSOD on Startup  (Read 905 times)
renisel2 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:22:46 PM

I am trying to put together a mining rig and have been having an issue with cgminer crashing on startup.  My system is as follows:

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
CPU: Intel Celeron G1620 CPU
RAM: Patriot 2x2GB 1333MHz DDR3
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
GPU: I have tried one XFX R9270ACDFC and three different XFX FX795ATDFC
Catalyst 12.8, APP SDK 2.7

I have tried a bunch of different batch files, but am currently trying to get it to just start up without crashing, and have removed all extra options.  So it looks like this:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
cgminer --scrypt -I 12 -o stratum+tcp://... -u x -p y

I have another machine that can mine at about 600 kH/s with the 7950s and around 430 kH/s with the R9 270 with no issues (it becomes unstable when I try to run two cards at once, but that's an issue for another time).  So there doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the GPUs individually.  If I don't start cgminer, I don't see anything odd with the behavior of the machine.  When I do start it, it opens the command window, shows the cgminer version info, and then either goes to BSOD or a black screen from which it won't recover.

Can anybody help me troubleshoot this?
SheepOnDrugs

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:33:33 PM

Reinstall your drivers.
renisel2 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:42:57 PM

Reinstall your drivers.

I've tried that several times.  I've also tried all permutations of Catalyst 12.8 vs 13.1 with APP SDK 2.7 vs 2.8.
SheepOnDrugs

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:13:50 PM

What settings are you using exactly for cgminer?
Seems like you're pushing your GPu too much.
You could also try using Linux.
renisel2 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:36:13 PM

What settings are you using exactly for cgminer?
Seems like you're pushing your GPu too much.
You could also try using Linux.

Right now, the settings are just what I showed.  It's just the mining pool, username, password, intensity=12. 

On my other machine, all four of these cards can run overclocked and with I=20 with a few rejections but no hardware errors or crashes.  So I would think the I=12 with no overclocking should be well within their capabilities.  I have tried bringing it all the way down to 8 with no change in the result.

I spent 2 days trying to get this same hardware running with Ubuntu, but was having issues with cgminer crashing there too.  I went to Windows because I had already gotten one Win7 machine mining stably, and mistakenly thought that if I used the same video cards, drivers and OS, I could expect similar results.
SheepOnDrugs

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:22:45 AM

Can't really help you with the BSOD but what problems did you have with Ubuntu?
Could help you if you want.
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:27:55 AM

What exactly happens? Does it freeze? does it just open then close?

I would try adding the TC line in and start @ 8192 for starters and work up from there. It could also be a case of the program trying to set the TC way to high. I know for a few of my setups it tries to set @ 14k+ and then I get some kernal error lol.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
SheepOnDrugs

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:30:19 AM

BTW. you also should delete the scrypt*.bin file everytime before you change your cgminer settings.
renisel2 (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:33:19 AM

Sort of figured this out after I got home from work.  I have this in a milk crate type of setup, with the graphics card connected via a ribbon pciex16 riser, and the risers appear to be the problem.  I have 5 risers from 2 sources and had tried 2 from each source, and was assuming that they can't all be of such low quality.  But when I plug it in directly, it at least doesn't crash.  I can only get about 150 kH/s if I want to keep it stable, whereas the exact same card (same physical card, not just same model) will be stable increasing the intensity to the point where I get over 500 kH/s without touching any other options in the .bat.  But that's a different issue for a different thread.

Thanks to those who posted their thoughts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: