Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:34:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: solo mining 2 TH/s - is this a bad idea?  (Read 2304 times)
kevhanc (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:26:39 PM

If I could start solo mining TODAY with 2TH machine, what would my chances be of finding a block?

I have seen many different calculators, and using different ones I get WAY different results. So I thought I'd put it out to the community to see what your experience has been.
Winterfrost

Activity: 633
Merit: 135

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:34:35 PM

You would find a block about every 60 days (assuming average luck). That doesn't take into account the ever increasing difficulty.

topminingcontracts

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

TaaS is a closed-end fund designated to blockchain

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 05:37:08 PM

Yes is a bad idea

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
jakedeez

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

ICO is evil

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:40:35 PM

I ran a total of about 1.2 TH from November to about a week or two ago.  We ran pooled, but I wish we hadn't... Our miners found 3 blocks in that time.  That was more then the expectation though, by a block.

It isn't a "bad idea" per say... depends on your risk profile and what you are trying to accomplish.
vpasic

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:52:36 PM

I ran a total of about 1.2 TH from November to about a week or two ago.  We ran pooled, but I wish we hadn't... Our miners found 3 blocks in that time.  That was more then the expectation though, by a block.

It isn't a "bad idea" per say... depends on your risk profile and what you are trying to accomplish.

it doesn't work that way!
if you ware mined solo you wouldn't mine anything.

2TH mining solo is bad idea!

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
jakedeez

Activity: 512

ICO is evil

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:54:03 PM

What are you talking about?  Of course it works that way.  Three of my rigs each found a block.  They were mining in a pool, but miners do find blocks. 
joae1975

Activity: 752

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:46:24 PM

Bad idea, you need like 50 Th for it to work.

Edit:  but you'll find lots of blocks mining altcoins.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:18:55 AM

Edit:  but you'll find lots of blocks mining altcoins.

You could find lots of blocks with just a GPU, if you are mining a very new (or already dead) scrypt coin lol.
Sonny

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:21:17 AM

What are you talking about?  Of course it works that way.  Three of my rigs each found a block.  They were mining in a pool, but miners do find blocks. 

Well, the situation in Nov is different from the situation now.
On Nov 05 2013, difficulty adjusted itself to 511M.
In a few days, difficulty will be at around 2.6B.
Grix

Activity: 536

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 08:49:30 PM

If you want to gamble it's a good idea. If you don't want to gamble it's a bad idea.

My KNCminer has found two blocks so far, if I had solo mined I would have been much richer than I am now. But it could have also found no blocks at all, it's impossible to predict.

BTC: 1Fahk2aa4NS4Qds4VDAL4mpNArDEdV2K5K
LaserShowGen Laser Show Software
Helios Laser Show Hardware
Sonny

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 08:09:58 AM

If you want to gamble it's a good idea. If you don't want to gamble it's a bad idea.

My KNCminer has found two blocks so far, if I had solo mined I would have been much richer than I am now. But it could have also found no blocks at all, it's impossible to predict.

Exactly the reason why we are doing pool mining - reduce variance (risk). Tongue

jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:05:39 AM

KNCminer! yea, you'd find several blocks alright, all orphaned.
Danglebee

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:47:10 AM

Sad day if user can no solo mine use "small" 2TH unit.
Sad

oxfardk

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:30:03 AM

If I could start solo mining TODAY with 2TH machine, what would my chances be of finding a block?
Nothing really serious estimating a month before you hit anything

vpasic

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:42:05 AM

KNCminer! yea, you'd find several blocks alright, all orphaned.

that's what I try to tell them!!!
IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY WHEN YOU SOLO MINE!!!!!
By the time you solve that block, and you'll need a couple of months to solve it, it will be solved already by some pool and you will end up with orphaned block!!!
big zero!!!

so jakedeez do your research next time before you write something stupid!

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
Sonny

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:57:59 AM

Nothing really serious estimating a month before you hit anything

FYR: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/8028/given-the-probability-of-finding-a-block-and-time-taken-can-i-infer-hashrate
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: