Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:21:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: All Coins Have a Premine. Prove Me Wrong.  (Read 227 times)
nutildah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 8033

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2018, 08:14:40 AM
Merited by paxmao (2)

Block zero, the Genesis Block, for bitcoin or any other coin, always contains instructions for the creation of coins. In the case of bitcoin, it was 50 BTC.

What is the difference between coins created in a Genesis Block and a "premine"? Does the term "premine" necessarily refer to coins created in addition to the amount dictated by a mining reward in block zero?

I'm creating a guide to understanding the blockchain for crypto noobs and would like to get other peoples' opinions on the matter. Thanks.
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 6406

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:01:00 AM

Block zero, the Genesis Block, for bitcoin or any other coin, always contains instructions for the creation of coins. In the case of bitcoin, it was 50 BTC.

What is the difference between coins created in a Genesis Block and a "premine"? Does the term "premine" necessarily refer to coins created in addition to the amount dictated by a mining reward in block zero?

I'm creating a guide to understanding the blockchain for crypto noobs and would like to get other peoples' opinions on the matter. Thanks.

In theory, I think that any coin developer could just initialize the Genesis Block with 0 amount of coins, leaving the rest behave normal - with or without halving, or with whatever emission curve they decide.
If they've done this for any existing coin, I don't know.
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1106

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 05:04:47 PM
Merited by paxmao (2)

premine is when a certain amount of coins are sent to an address (or a number of addresses) BEFORE the official launch and distribution
usually justified by the neccessity to fund the coin development,prime example-Etherium
actually,if you look at the coinmarket's top list,there are so many premined coins:Cardano,Ripple,Etherium,Neo etc.
before one could filter all the premined coins on coinmarketcap.com,cannot find the feature anymore
genesis block on the other hand is a block that serves as the foundation for the blockchain,it is the first block of it and establishes the basis for all future blocks
in case of bitcoins,the first 50 coins are UNSPENDABLE
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Genesis_block

the developer,of course,can edit the genesis block so it is mined faster or gives a much higher reward,the so called "instamine"
in  a way,every coin can be "premined" without the general public knowing
devs always have this advantage and can  make sure a certain group of individuals are ready to mine it before it is released and then get a headstart,yet stay relatively "clean"
nutildah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2018, 03:39:58 AM

premine is when a certain amount of coins are sent to an address (or a number of addresses) BEFORE the official launch and distribution

I see, that does make sense: the coins are mined but in a pre-release sort of fashion. I was thinking "premine" always meant coins generated before the mining process.

As far as a premine or instamine is concerned in practice, they are only as valuable as the coin itself. Somebody could make a shitcoin with a huge premine and it wouldn't benefit them at all if the coin has no traction. That's why its entertaining to me that people are still upset about Dash (Darkcoin) having an "instamine".... If the coin wasn't very successful, it wouldn't have mattered.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3239

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 04:25:14 PM

The coins in the Bitcoin genesis block are not spendable.

nutildah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2018, 04:32:10 PM

I remember reading that, and that it was an accident that it worked out that way. The coins for many other genesis blocks are spendable.

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/address.dws?XtuVUju4Baaj7YXShQu4QbLLR7X2aw9Gc8.htm
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3239

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 06:06:09 AM

I remember reading that, and that it was an accident that it worked out that way. The coins for many other genesis blocks are spendable.

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/address.dws?XtuVUju4Baaj7YXShQu4QbLLR7X2aw9Gc8.htm

But I proved you wrong. Do I get a prize? Wink
nutildah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2018, 07:40:47 AM

But I proved you wrong. Do I get a prize? Wink

Yeah sure, why not. Do you want the sofa set, the vacation to Hawaii, or what's behind door #1?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: