Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:13:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC Hashrate?  (Read 36504 times)
phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:31:00 PM

Sorry for the confusion, it is running on a 1200 and a 750. I am thinking the 1200 can't handle it and going to test by adding another 750 I have laying around to verify the 1200's ability to provide 1080. 2700 watts should rule out any power problems. I am thinking it is a little weak when they are all at full hash. Even keeping the average I am doing, 4.55 Mh/s should be doable. I'll know in a few hours. Smiley
1200 for 3 cards and a 750 for 2 cards + mobo is more then enough.  Are you using powered risers?

I can run 3 off a 1000W and 2+mobo off an 850W, with heavy overclocks.
phzi

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:32:37 PM

Word of advice: Don't just go higher with your GPU clocks, also go lower. There are sweet spots where increasing clocks actually reduces the hashrate. And no, this isn't caused by throttling.

Just go across the entire reasonable spectrum in 10 or 20 MHz steps and try everything.
This really isn't very true - it depends on the BIOS and memory timings.  There is no 'ratio' that performs better, and a properly tuned BIOS will continue to improve no matter how high you push the engine clock (up until crash of course).

It is true, I suppose, on certainly BIOSes that pushing the engines past a certain point will not provide benefit and may decrease hashrate, but if that's the case you should change the BIOS.
sapphirecraig

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:03:59 AM

Hi phzi

Thanks for your help the past couple of days, I've finally got my card stable and am ready to give the STILT bios a crack.  Can you please advise which link I need to download as there were several?  I have the Sapphire Tri-X OC 290X with bios version 015.042.000.000.000000 from GPU-Z.  The available BIOS were:

290X:

MBA_C6710101-100_K2_AGR_STILTMXT_V32.zip (DPM7 - 1.2375V)

MBA_C6710101-100_K2_AGR_STILTMXT_V36.zip (DPM7 - 1.2125V)

MBA_C6710101-100_K2_AGR_STILTMXT_V3A.zip (DPM7 - 1.1875V)

MBA_C6710101-100_K2_AGR_STILTMXT_V3E.zip (DPM7 - 1.1625V)

MBA_C6710101-100_K2_AGR_STILTMXT_V42.zip (DPM7 - 1.1375V)

MBA_C6710101-100_K2_AGR_STILTMXT_V46.zip (DPM7 - 1.1125V)

Thanks
phzi

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:51:28 AM

Read the whole post I linked to. Each BIOS has a different fixed voltage, instead of variable voltage like the stock BIOS.  I just use the highest (normal) voltage BIOS unless that is unstable, in which case I try the last resort BIOS. If you care about tweaking power consumption, you can try lower voltage versions (maybe work your way up until stable).

You can also grab a multi-meter, or use GPU-z and follow Stilt's info on how to calculate the ideal voltage for each card.
DaZuru

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:40:17 AM

Sorry for the confusion, it is running on a 1200 and a 750. I am thinking the 1200 can't handle it and going to test by adding another 750 I have laying around to verify the 1200's ability to provide 1080. 2700 watts should rule out any power problems. I am thinking it is a little weak when they are all at full hash. Even keeping the average I am doing, 4.55 Mh/s should be doable. I'll know in a few hours. Smiley
1200 for 3 cards and a 750 for 2 cards + mobo is more then enough.  Are you using powered risers?

I can run 3 off a 1000W and 2+mobo off an 850W, with heavy overclocks.
Not a power supply issue, I think. Hooked third one up and even ran extension cord to another circuit. I am not using powered risers. Could that cause the problem? Started digging for the obvious and the card that is giving me trouble was using bios version 015.042 and the other 4 were using bios version 015.043. Flashed it and still a problem going over I 13. Driver flips out. Adjusted GPU and memory but once I hit I 14 it dies. Sitting at 4.18 Mh/s. Time to try Stilts when I get a chance. Running 64 bit Win 8.1. Think 32bit would be better?
phzi

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:46:06 AM

I never use Windows for a mining rig - had nothing but stability problems and driver crashes.  Full custom gentoo all the way for me.

Intensity shouldn't play that big of a roll - did you try downclocking the engine to 947? (On the faulting card)
sapphirecraig

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:28:49 AM

DaZuru I had the same problem when I pushed mine over intensity 13 it would crash.  I solved the problem by putting in more RAM.  12GB works fine for me but 8GB wasn't enough.  I'm not sure why this is the case when others are getting away with far less.

phzi I flashed the STILT BIOS and am now getting 1013kH/s so thank you very much Smiley
JBrace1990

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:03:15 PM

I've got 2 problems with the tri-x's i'm using:

The first is that a 6th card isn't detected for mining. If I plug it in, I can't mine, but "aticonfig --lsa" shows all 6 cards.

The other is that I'm getting a ridiculous amount of invalids, something like 3-5%.

any idea?
phzi

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:52:49 PM

The first is that a 6th card isn't detected for mining. If I plug it in, I can't mine, but "aticonfig --lsa" shows all 6 cards.

The other is that I'm getting a ridiculous amount of invalids, something like 3-5%.

any idea?
What motherboard, what OS, what pool? 3-5% might be perfectly fine depending on where you are mining and what your ping to the stratum server is.

DaZuru I had the same problem when I pushed mine over intensity 13 it would crash.  I solved the problem by putting in more RAM.  12GB works fine for me but 8GB wasn't enough.  I'm not sure why this is the case when others are getting away with far less.
That's just bizarre... I run all my rigs with 4GB of ram - I have never believed the more RAM helps story, because cgminer uses hardly any RAM.  I usually have 90% free RAM with 4GB.

phzi I flashed the STILT BIOS and am now getting 1013kH/s so thank you very much Smiley
Very nice!
miner765

Activity: 96

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:03:03 AM

any idea?
What motherboard, what OS, what pool? 3-5% might be perfectly fine depending on where you are mining and what your ping to the stratum server is.

DaZuru I had the same problem when I pushed mine over intensity 13 it would crash.  I solved the problem by putting in more RAM.  12GB works fine for me but 8GB wasn't enough.  I'm not sure why this is the case when others are getting away with far less.
That's just bizarre... I run all my rigs with 4GB of ram - I have never believed the more RAM helps story, because cgminer uses hardly any RAM.  I usually have 90% free RAM with 4GB.

Very nice!

Also interested in RAM question, since I had basically the same issue. Constant driver crashes with 3-4 or more cards.
flounderella

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:15:00 AM

Scrypt: about 990Kh with very few rejects/no hardware errors. Did some benchmarking and even though there's the occasional reject (less than 1% mining 24 hours), happy with keeping it at 990Kh. Runs at around 78C at 65% fan.

N-Scrypt: about 440Kh with no rejects/no hardware errors. Runs at around 70C at 50% fan.

CPU is 4770k with 16 GB RAM

And oh yeah, I run Ubuntu from a USB stick. But maybe occasionally boot up Win 8.1. Speeds are similar but Linux requires less reboots when restarting CGMiner. Windows tends to do BSOD when CGMiner is closed, probably because of the OC-ed GPU returning to normal
miner765

Activity: 96

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:21:01 AM

Scrypt: about 990Kh with very few rejects/no hardware errors. Did some benchmarking and even though there's the occasional reject (less than 1% mining 24 hours), happy with keeping it at 990Kh. Runs at around 78C at 65% fan.

N-Scrypt: about 440Kh with no rejects/no hardware errors. Runs at around 70C at 50% fan.

CPU is 4770k with 16 GB RAM

And oh yeah, I run Ubuntu from a USB stick. But maybe occasionally boot up Win 8.1. Speeds are similar but Linux requires less reboots when restarting CGMiner. Windows tends to do BSOD when CGMiner is closed, probably because of the OC-ed GPU returning to normal

How did you decide to try out upgrading the RAM? Did someone give you any reasoning to do it (because of the driver crashes) or you just decided to spend $200 and try it out?
DaZuru

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:56:52 PM

I never use Windows for a mining rig - had nothing but stability problems and driver crashes.  Full custom gentoo all the way for me.

Intensity shouldn't play that big of a roll - did you try downclocking the engine to 947? (On the faulting card)
Did you roll your own or use a Gentoo Mining guide somewhere? I am basically dangerous with Linux, but can follow a recipe. Smiley
JBrace1990

Activity: 68

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:01:21 PM

any idea?

I'm using BAMT 1.5 on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7, and I'm using a pool that usually has a very low reject rate (like 0.3% on average). The cards individually can range from somewhere like 3-10%, but usually average 3-5%.

It may be related, but I keep having one+ cards shutting down. I can't seem to get them to work correctly.

Any idea about using 6?
phzi

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:52:10 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 11:06:38 PM by phzi

Did you roll your own or use a Gentoo Mining guide somewhere? I am basically dangerous with Linux, but can follow a recipe. Smiley
My setup is self-designed.  The whole install fits on a 8GB drive with plenty of free space for compiling other mining software, running coin daemons, etc (the base install is less then 3GB).  I bought a bunch of tiny SSDs (8GB), because I find USB drives to be super flakey as boot drives.  The gentoo install has absolutely bare minimum components, runs a stripped down kernel, is optimized for haswell chips, and includes only the most basic xorg install, xterm, sgminer, and asimple series of startup scripts to launch everything automatically.  Took me a few days to throw together, and I continue to tweak it on occasion.  

The majority is pretty simple straight forward (although it might just be me that thinks so... I have installed gentoo many times over many years):
- follow the gentoo handbook to make a very basic install
- optimize your cflags in make.conf to optimize for your CPU (refer to handbook), and set VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx" in make.conf
- emerge cgminer (which pulls in the most basic x11 install, opencl dependencies, etc)
- emerge xterm and xset (barebones terminal and user preference utility for x11)
- emerge ati-drivers (you might need to pick a specific version e.g. emerge =x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.12 , or specify the version properly in portage config files - refer to gentoo wiki)
- create a non-root user called mine (or whatever name you desire)
- set the user to auto login (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Automatic_login_to_virtual_console)
- auto-start x11 by adding "[[ $(tty) = "/dev/tty1" ]] && exec startx" (without quotes) to ~/.bash_profile of your non-root user
- emerge git
- retrieve sgminer source from github, and compile (I pull and install to ~/src/sgminer)
- create a startup script that launches from .bashrc and starts sgminer if needed.  I wrote this script for this purpose:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
if ! xset q &>/dev/null
then
  echo "No X server at $DISPLAY"
else
  if mkdir gominelock
  then
    if screen -list | grep -v "Dead" | grep -q "miner"
    then
      echo "sgminer is currently running..."
    else
      sleep 5
      if screen -list | grep -v "Dead" | grep -q "miner"
      then
        echo "sgminer already running [2nd test]..."
      else
        echo "Launching mining!!!"
        ./mine.sh
      fi
    fi
    rm -rf gominelock
  else
    echo "lockfile already exists"
  fi
fi
echo "done"

The above script checks if X11 is running yet, uses a folder as a lockfile (a super handy *nix shell trick), checks if sgminer is already running in a screen, and then launches my mining script if needed.  Since you're calling it from .bashrc, it will launch every time a terminal session is started.  This means that it will launch before X11 starts, and exit because there is no X server; launches again in xterm when xorg starts up (xterm launches 3 times by default, so the lockfile causes 2 instances to exit, and the third to start up mining); and will run when you login via SSH (and display "sgminer is currently running..").

~/mine.sh then contains:
Code:
cd /home/mine/src/sgminer
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
export DISPLAY=:0
screen -dmS miner ./sgminer --api-listen --config=/home/mine/sgminer.conf
cd ~

You can then use "screen -r" from ssh to access sgminer, and edit ~/sgminer.conf to change your config.

I should probably throw this together into a decently detailed tutorial in it's own thread - maybe I will do that a bit later today or over the weekend.
N[e]wBie

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 02:41:21 AM

^I would appreciate that! Thanks for the post.

BTC: 1ESZr887vTZqYtDuwwspn1jBaoRU9jMcv1
jhood2880

Activity: 43

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:32:16 PM

any idea?

I'm using BAMT 1.5 on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7, and I'm using a pool that usually has a very low reject rate (like 0.3% on average). The cards individually can range from somewhere like 3-10%, but usually average 3-5%.

It may be related, but I keep having one+ cards shutting down. I can't seem to get them to work correctly.

Any idea about using 6?

I would love to find out how you have your cards set in the bamT.conf. I am running 1 Sapphire R9 290X Tri X (model 11227-00-40G) and i am only getting 671 KH/s.

Here is my setup
990FXA-UD5
AMD Sempron 145
Seasonic X850
Sapphire R9 290X Tri X (Model 11227-00-40G)
4GB memory
All in a Cooler Master HAF X 
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:43:59 AM

I would love to find out how you have your cards set in the bamT.conf. I am running 1 Sapphire R9 290X Tri X (model 11227-00-40G) and i am only getting 671 KH/s.

Here is my setup
990FXA-UD5
AMD Sempron 145
Seasonic X850
Sapphire R9 290X Tri X (Model 11227-00-40G)
4GB memory
All in a Cooler Master HAF X 
Post your config.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
jhood2880

Activity: 43

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 04:31:11 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2014, 04:56:31 AM by jhood2880

I am not sure what is needed from the configuration page so this will be a long post. I apologize in advance for the length of this. In this configuration page i am using GPU 0. I included GPU 1 (which is not in use) because it has different setting than GPU 0. Thanks in advance!

phzi

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 04:39:15 AM

You need to edit cgminer.conf in the same folder as bamf.conf ... bamf.conf doesn't really do much, and the overclocks won't work with a 290.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: