Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:07:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin "insecure" investment - media.  (Read 3752 times)
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:28:32 PM

Im always trying to educate my friends about Bitcoin. I'll offer them 5000 satoshis if they open a wallet.

here is an interesting trend I have recently encountered. Several of my friends have come back and declined the offer, the reason, they have read on

the news that Bitcoin is vulnerable to hacking. The Media is pushing that Bitcoin is not a 'secure' investment. sure, risky maybe, but insecure?

Whats going on? whats the buzz?

I think this is plain bearish sentiment  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:30:51 PM

Oh good. Negative media often means bullish price.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:30:59 PM

Problem is that the weak link certainly isn't Bitcoin. It's those pesky individual humans who ruin it for everyone with their crappy security. Throw some paper wallets at them until they know what's what.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:36:32 PM

Bitcoin, the currency of the Internet that should never be stored on the Internet or on any computer that has ever connected to thr Internet. So yes, the media is right, it's not particulary secure. You're forgetting that bitcoin articles aren't written for us -- bitcoin enthusiasts -- it's for mass consumption. For average folks, buying and securing bitcoins is still quite a complex and dangerous process fraught with peril.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:41:29 PM

Bitcoin, the currency of the Internet that should never be stored on the Internet or on any computer that has ever connected to thr Internet. So yes, the media is right, it's not particulary secure. You're forgetting that bitcoin articles aren't written for us -- bitcoin enthusiasts -- it's for mass consumption. For average folks, buying and securing bitcoins is still quite a complex and dangerous process fraught with peril.
Yeah, no. If you can't keep bitcoin on a computer permanently connected to the net then it's worthless. I'm doing exactly that, and so far no problems of any kind. It's just more FUD.

chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:43:16 PM

yeah but this is no good reason to not invest in bitcoins (if you can see the potential). the insecurity lies within the ignorant. the media must tell the whole story, rather than blaming bitcoin.

ampere9765

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:45:45 PM

it's not "bearish" -- it has nothing to do with market sentiment. it has everything to do with the fact that bitcoin does not fit within the typical user's paradigm of "security". a layman knows little of lost coins, malware, nor the fact that bitcoins more than many other types of information are targeted specifically for hack-and-theft. without knowing much about bitcoin, one would not think that a hosted wallet provider like coinbase is unsafe -- but it is incredibly unsafe. cold storage is an entirely foreign idea to most.

so no, nothing to do with bears. it has more to do with the fact that the infrastructure of hardware/software providers is very much lacking for the typical end user in the mass adoption scenario. they are "insecure" because laymen know nothing about security -- but developers have done little to improve this.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:49:49 PM

so no, nothing to do with bears. it has more to do with the fact that the infrastructure of hardware/software providers is very much lacking for the typical end user in the mass adoption scenario. they are "insecure" because laymen know nothing about security -- but developers have done little to improve this.
[/quote]

any way to convince an investor to part with his/her bitcoins is bearish. a headline - "bitcoin insecure investment" is a bearish headline for sure.
with just a little understanding one can secure ones bitcoins to oblivion.

ampere9765

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:56:20 PM

any way to convince an investor to part with his/her bitcoins is bearish. a headline - "bitcoin insecure investment" is a bearish headline for sure.

then it would not be sentiment. it would be an attempt to manipulate sentiment. as i pointed out, it's the truth, so i don't think so. if you think the typical prospective user will understand, let alone go to the lengths to properly secure bitcoins, under the status quo, is a long shot. just an observation....

tech people always think other people think like them. they don't. at all. like, fucking, at all.....
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:01:04 AM

then it would not be sentiment. it would be an attempt to manipulate sentiment. as i pointed out, it's the truth, so i don't think so. if you think the typical prospective user will understand, let alone go to the lengths to properly secure bitcoins, under the status quo, is a long shot. just an observation....

tech people always think other people think like them. they don't. at all. like, fucking, at all.....

Ok I get you.
Not a bad sign that the big boys dont want mainstream to invest in BTC though?
so far, it's causing sentiment.

MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:02:27 AM

the news that Bitcoin is vulnerable to hacking. The Media is pushing that Bitcoin is not a 'secure' investment. sure, risky maybe, but insecure?

Already, the Bitcoin folder tucked away in a hidden system folder on Windows is about 32GB in size. When the files corrupt, it becomes a real pain in the arsehole trying to get the blockchain back up to date in order to use my cold store wallet again. Just wait until the blockchain grows to 32TB in size (and given time it will). Then hardly anyone will have a secure offline wallet stored on a USB stick like most of us have access to currently. Instead we will all be using third party wallet providers, whose systems will be liable to hack attacks.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:08:43 AM

System folders is the first place hackers look.

crocko

Activity: 826

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:11:00 AM

Media isn't right.
You will need an online wallet / PC connected to Internet. You can't be isolated !
Why ?
Because:
- you mine to a pool and the payment is set on "auto" mode ..
- there is a person  who want to make a donation / give you back a debt and your computer is offline..
- you sleep / do an activity that exclude the use of the PC [connected to Internet]
- your bitcoin-qt need to be updated in order to be used; you can't sent / receive any BTC if the client is out of sync  Shocked

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:12:31 AM

Already, the Bitcoin folder tucked away in a hidden system folder on Windows is about 32GB in size. When the files corrupt, it becomes a real pain in the arsehole trying to get the blockchain back up to date in order to use my cold store wallet again. Just wait until the blockchain grows to 32TB in size (and given time it will). Then hardly anyone will have a secure offline wallet stored on a USB stick like most of us have access to currently. Instead we will all be using third party wallet providers, whose systems will be liable to hack attacks.

I lost you when you mentioned 'Windows'  Tongue Windows is just plain insecure.
I thought that the block chain will be 'pruned' when it becomes a problem? Satoshi was aware of this issue.

MatTheCat

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:15:03 AM

I thought that the block chain will be 'pruned' when it becomes a problem? Satoshi was aware of this issue.

If you are talking Linux, then you are really getting right to the nerd fringe of society.

I would suggest that the blockchain is in need of some 'pruning right about now'.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
ampere9765

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:22:18 AM

BINGO. this is what i'm talking about. good luck getting the average prole to understand why this is.
chessnut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:33:11 AM

BINGO. this is what i'm talking about. good luck getting the average prole to understand why this is.

so then I guess by default we will be ahead of the crowd for a long time yet. I can see bitcoin passing $5000 before 'easy' software is introduced to keep your coins safe.

ampere9765

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:37:34 AM

so then I guess by default we will be ahead of the crowd for a long time yet. I can see bitcoin passing $5000 before 'easy' software is introduced to keep your coins safe.
yes i would agree with that. maybe not $5k but considerably up from here, and maybe even more. despite that, i do truly think we are very far from bitcoin being accessible to Joe Blow (and his grandma)
MatTheCat

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:39:39 AM

yes i would agree with that. maybe not $5k but considerably up from here, and maybe even more. despite that, i do truly think we are very far from bitcoin being accessible to Joe Blow (and his grandma)

Man ampere, you seem like such a fucking hero compared to Joe Blow.....and his grandma.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:03:58 AM

Media isn't right.
You will need an online wallet / PC connected to Internet. You can't be isolated !
Why ?
Because:
- you mine to a pool and the payment is set on "auto" mode ..
- there is a person  who want to make a donation / give you back a debt and your computer is offline..
- you sleep / do an activity that exclude the use of the PC [connected to Internet]
- your bitcoin-qt need to be updated in order to be used; you can't sent / receive any BTC if the client is out of sync  Shocked

You do not need to be running wallet software in order to receive payments.  Please completely revise your understanding of how bitcoin works.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: