Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:49:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e being hacked. Watch your account.  (Read 5135 times)
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:35:34 AM

While reading this thread I was going to post my comments.  But LostDutchman posted exactly what I was going to post!  Thank you LD for saving me the time!
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 01:59:48 AM

While reading this thread I was going to post my comments.  But LostDutchman posted exactly what I was going to post!  Thank you LD for saving me the time!

Why thank you for your kind comment!

It just breaks my heart when internet noobs get it bad because the simply do not understand how to be secure on the net.

I wish I could fix things for them but after the fact, they are pretty much screwed!

Complicated passwords work well.

Lots of Upper/lower case switheces, punctuatin marks..............

Esamples:

An "I've got your ass!" password:

"password 90210".

BUSTED in about 10 seconds!

This will at least take some time and maybe get you alerted that someone is trying to hack you:

"90I&3Z*forL%Ah+?Rt2N1!*"

Just an example.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:06:18 AM

You probably have a keylogger. Sucks to be you! Don't keep more on an exchange than you can afford to lose.

What is a keylogger?

It is a type of malware that logs every key you press on your keyboard and passes it back to a server. Once this sequence is captured it is easy to extract usernames, passwords etc. This is why it's imperative that you use two factor authentication if it is available. You should also be using a password manager such as KeePass so that you can use complex passwords that you never have to type out, just copy and paste them.

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
Denton

Activity: 798
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:09:12 AM

Can one assume that a keylogger can be capable to read the clipboard data?

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 02:12:04 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystroke_logging

Read it and weep!

"Software keyloggers may be augmented with features that capture user information without relying on keyboard key presses as the sole input. Some of these features include:

Clipboard logging. Anything that has been copied to the clipboard can be captured by the program."

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
keewee
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:16:19 AM

I would say yes, some malware probably reads the clipboard too. I don't know of enough about particular keyloggers that might do this but at least strong passwords add an extra level of protection from account cracking and enable you to use a different long and complex password on every site you use

keewee
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:17:04 AM

Read it and weep!

"Software keyloggers may be augmented with features that capture user information without relying on keyboard key presses as the sole input. Some of these features include:

Clipboard logging. Anything that has been copied to the clipboard can be captured by the program."

Wink

Hmmm oh well. 2FA FTW!  Smiley

chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:22:36 AM

Read it and weep!

Wink

wassup Keewee! join the club! where do you stay in New Zealand?

keewee
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:28:30 AM

Read it and weep!

Wink

wassup Keewee! join the club! where do you stay in New Zealand?

I'm a jafa  Smiley   And you? I think we must be part of a very small group in little ol' NZ although there has been a bit more activity on BitNZ lately

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 02:59:12 AM

Undecided

i hope you did not lose your shirt.

its really sad hearing stories like this, at cavirtex they check your browser ( you have to confirm via email if you try to access your account from another computer ) and also 2 factor auth.... i wish all exchanges had the same kind of security, with these security features i feel safer, but still....

let this thread be a lesson for you less paranoid folk and turn on 2 factor auth! setup a secure saving wallet (paper wallets) and a secure spending wallet.

in the beginning poeple were getting hacked left and right. wallet services would disappear with everyones coins... i'm glad those days are over but clearly much improvements can still be made. until then its up to the users to try and minimize risks by taking every security procation they can.

UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:00:50 AM

Damn man sorry for you  Undecided

Time to get my coins on a paper wallet...
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:02:56 AM

A key logger is a program that records your key strokes (password) and sends it to someone else.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:21:10 AM

I have 2FA via Google Authenticator on my phone turned on for everything; logging in, transfering money, changing details, etc.
And it needs to be confirmed via e-mail, and my e-mail has a separate 2FA (SMS), and a different password.

I am safe from being hacked, right?  Undecided

Not necessarily unfortunately. You get still get "session hijacked" via cookies if you have your account open and open something dodgy in the same browser. Use different browsers for your trading sites vs "normal browsing"
outofservice (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:03:31 AM

I lost a few coins but they were just my "trading coins" (still it hurt and is a lesson learned), I kept my load on an encrypted external. I am thanking my brother for talking me into that because I used to have them all online.

I tried to set up the 2key on btc-e, they are set up on my other accounts, but the page to do so on btc-e is in russian. It also asks for a once time code. I have no idea what that code is. I've kept all emails from them and scowered them word by word looking to see if it had been sent and it had not. I emailed them about it and never heard back.
My cell is linked to all and the others you have to verify through the cell, just not btc-e because I didn't have that code to set it up.

The guy who hacked had to do work because my password was scrambled letters, numbers and symbols. Years ago I had simple passwords... until my bother showed me how easy he could crack mine. He's computers and math and I'm history and science. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Mine just happens to be understanding detailed info about computers.

Funny thing is... I read 3 ppl ranting about getting hacked in the trollbox the last two days and as I read it I said to myself, man, that sucks, hope it doesn't happen to me.
It did and it seems to be happening to others as well. Those of you on btc-e, make sure your security is set.
Denton

Activity: 798
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:54:13 AM

Keyloggers are also capable of capturing your screen... don't know if they can do it undetected though. Keyloggers are the only thing i fear on the internet.  Sad

empoweoqwj

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:25:31 AM

I lost a few coins but they were just my "trading coins" (still it hurt and is a lesson learned), I kept my load on an encrypted external. I am thanking my brother for talking me into that because I used to have them all online.

I tried to set up the 2key on btc-e, they are set up on my other accounts, but the page to do so on btc-e is in russian. It also asks for a once time code. I have no idea what that code is. I've kept all emails from them and scowered them word by word looking to see if it had been sent and it had not. I emailed them about it and never heard back.
My cell is linked to all and the others you have to verify through the cell, just not btc-e because I didn't have that code to set it up.

The guy who hacked had to do work because my password was scrambled letters, numbers and symbols. Years ago I had simple passwords... until my bother showed me how easy he could crack mine. He's computers and math and I'm history and science. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Mine just happens to be understanding detailed info about computers.

Funny thing is... I read 3 ppl ranting about getting hacked in the trollbox the last two days and as I read it I said to myself, man, that sucks, hope it doesn't happen to me.
It did and it seems to be happening to others as well. Those of you on btc-e, make sure your security is set.

Not sure how you can say "your security is set" on btc-e if you don't have 2fa enabled. Without 2fa your risk of being hacked goes up considerably.
atc1

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:28:15 AM

It sounds like your password got stolen, not neccesarily btce itself hacked.

This is one department I'll admit that hodlors have a clear advantage.

Isn't stolen and hacked the same thing?

Uh, no.......................................

Sad

Quote from: outofservice on Today at 20:10:55

Quote from: BitcoinAshley on Today at 20:08:53

You probably have a keylogger. Sucks to be you! Don't keep more on an exchange than you can afford to lose.

What is a keylogger?

Oh boy..............................................

Thanks, your replies have been so helpful.

A program can record your keystrokes and send it to the person who designed it. If you have one of these,all your passwords may have been compromised. But,damn...

empoweoqwj

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:34:48 AM

It sounds like your password got stolen, not neccesarily btce itself hacked.

This is one department I'll admit that hodlors have a clear advantage.

Isn't stolen and hacked the same thing?

Uh, no.......................................

Sad

Quote from: outofservice on Today at 20:10:55

Quote from: BitcoinAshley on Today at 20:08:53

What is a keylogger?

Oh boy..............................................

Thanks, your replies have been so helpful.

A program can record your keystrokes and send it to the person who designed it. If you have one of these,all your passwords may have been compromised. But,damn...

That's why 2fa is so important. It changes every time.
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:38:43 AM

What is a keylogger?

http://bit.ly/tadhtb

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:12:18 AM

im noticing msot hacks are people without 2fa
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: