Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Choose one
Yes, ban them - 213 (49.7%)
No, don't ban - 216 (50.3%)
Total Voters: 429

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should IPOs be banned from the site? Poll  (Read 6714 times)
Warren

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:08:21 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 02:09:31 AM by Warren

If you don't like them fine.

This is one of the things wrong with the world. For some reason people want to force everyone else to follow their beliefs because they think they have a foolproof reason why they are correct. This so insane to me. It doesn't matter how great your reason is, it DOES NOT translate to forcing others to adopt it.

Do what you want, but leave me alone.

^^^This exactly!^^^

I am sure the OP is well meaning and all, but so are all the government bureaucrats that continue to create stupid new laws that are supposed to protect us from ourselves.

This is how we end up with a society like the one in this video: http://youtu.be/nBiJB8YuDBQ

NXT is one of the most innovative and interesting coins to ever come on the market, and the idea that the next NXT should be stopped from doing an IPO because the OP doesn't think "the distribution is fair enough" or because some people have been using the forum to scam people is just silly.

All in my opinion of course and the forum owner will do whatever he/she wants.

Obviously I voted NO.  Roll Eyes

r0ach (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 10:31:15 PM

bump for the incoming Emunie and Ethereum money grabs/scams.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
woetohice

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:56:08 AM

I am continually astounded by the number of people in the crypto community who despise freedom of choice.
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:20:07 AM

I am continually astounded by the number of people in the crypto community who despise freedom of choice.

You obviously did not read any of the posts that compare IPO for coin scams as being virtually the same thing as "The Creature From Jekyll Island".  Issuing currency for profit by a cartel, it's what Bitcoin was designed to defeat.  Why let people rehash the same system on a Bitcoin site that Bitcoin is directly opposed to?  Makes 0 sense.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:26:01 AM

If scams get banned here everyone has freedom of choice to start their own forum that allows scams.
Simakki

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 05:29:53 AM

This is gettin funny.

How come someone hope the IPO ban and promote Pow-system at the same time, which as a system is very exclusive.

Check out Betsikingi
for betting tips and for https://betsikingi.info/vedonlyontibonukset-vedonlyontisivustot and Unibet TV for sports live streaming!
LAFreeze

Activity: 55

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:30:20 AM

I am likewise astounded by the number of people who invest in injust promises. Most IPOs are not that, these are just calls for investment without showing anything in return. Most companies that do an IPO have verifyable knowledge, a solid plan, and usually a guy or 2 you can sue if they screw up or disappear. Not so much in cryptoland, where we just get a one-page post of marketing ramble, and folks send their bitcoins to them. I can create 5 IPOs before lunch, and automatize most of it if I want to.

There's too many fools, and they still seem to have money. I'm not against regulation to protect them, but don't think it's the solution either. Inform them, gather statistics (some here shout 90% of IPOs is a scam... few aren't, the coin just didn't rise above 1sat long enough. They still have the IPOcoins, but those are worthless now. Scammed? Nope. Although it feels sour)
Wilburbone

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:30:38 AM

You obviously did not read any of the posts that compare IPO for coin scams as being virtually the same thing as "The Creature From Jekyll Island".  Issuing currency for profit by a cartel, it's what Bitcoin was designed to defeat.  Why let people rehash the same system on a Bitcoin site that Bitcoin is directly opposed to?  Makes 0 sense.

WTF are you talking about? How is an IPO in any way comparable to a central bank? No one is forcing you to invest in an IPO. Central banks force you to use currencies of their choosing via government. It's not this site or anyone else's fault if you're a moron and invest in the wrong thing and lose money.
cayars

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:39:50 AM
Last edit: April 02, 2014, 07:22:23 AM by cayars

In the real world (I guess we are still in the real world on this forum), the entity who is closest to the creation of the money supply in the fractional reserve, fiat system benefits the most.  In other words, central bankers issue currency for profit.  People who establish IPOs and advertise for investment on the forum, are in effect, recreating the exact same system Bitcoin was designed to defeat.  Some might argue there's a difference because the systems are Austrian in nature, and not Keynesian, but there's really nothing that prevents them from using either method, so the difference is non-existent.

The normal Bitcoin protocol was not designed to be issued for profit, or to have a central issuing authority.  It was designed to be a trust free system where others work to acquire it through mining, and for any reward to be independent of the creator.  If one acknowledges the previous points as fact, you can clearly see that any IPO has absolutely no place on the forum in the context of money supply creation.  It is an evolution backwards in the technical domain of distribution, and in the ethics domain of corruption issues.

What's that you say?  You claim 100% proof of stake systems have benefits?  If you believe proof of stake is superior for coin dynamics and security, there's no reason you can't release a coin that uses normal PoW for distribution, then utilizes PoS entirely once all coins are mined.  The idea that an IPO is actually required to make 100% proof of stake work is an outright lie.  The term PoW/PoS hybrid exists for a reason and has already been accomplished.  If you wanted to be extremely lazy and have a proof of stake client entirely separate from the PoW client, you could always release a crap coin clone, have people mine it, then trade units of the crap coin for shares in the 100% PoS client coin.  Where does the need for an IPO fit into this anywhere?  It doesn't.  They should be banned.

Have you read what you typed? Bitcoin was not designed to have an issuing authority and was designed to be a trust fee system.  You want to take this trust away by virtue of your OP post and YOU want to become a governor of what is allowed and not allowed. If this is/was to be done, then it's no longer a trust-free system.  This is not with the spirit of Bitcoin by your own post/admission. You do know there is board correct? aka Bitcoin Foundation

You also state that it should by mined and independent of the creator.  While maybe true in spirit but from a historical perspective the "creator" earned himself close to 1 million BTC by mining because there were few early adopter/miners.  For all we know he could have a lot more under a different bitcoin address. So this too really doesn't stand.  One thing is said while another thing is realized.  In essence the creator had an IPO (of sorts) although it wasn't called that.  Maybe you would call it a premine?  Not really sure how to "classify" it per-say as it was the early days.  However, Satoshi did surely mine a lot before the masses were involved so it was sort of like a premine or IPO to some extent compared to today's standards.  Any way you want handle/call this he did come out with boat loads of BTC.  I personally do not think this is BAD AT ALL.  He had an investment in it.  He mined it.  He is rewarded for his abilities and time.  (to bad he hasn't cash in the BTC we know he owns) Smiley

I'm not even going to touch the POS.  You put a nice slant/spin on this and it would take a page itself to only touch on this.  Not going here.

Fast forward 5+ years to today.

You seem to think all new coins should be done the same way Satoshi did bitcoin. You assume everthing he did is 100% correct and can't be improved upon.  If that is the case, then we have no new innovations.  Many of the newer coins have a lot of new innovations.  It takes time for people to innovate (developers and business people both) and for this to turn into usable code.  The people coming out with these innovations need to be compensated for their time in some way. For some it may be notoriety, and other for $ and some a combination of the two.

Now since we are 5+ years from the adoption of bitcoin we can't simply create a new coin and mine it ourselves and expect to come out with a nice % of coins as Satoshi did.  We now live in the age of ASICs and huge mining rigs operations. There are just way to many rigs out there these days (not to mention ASIC devices).  Not like the early times of Satoshi.  An "original developer" these days has NO CHANCE of grabbing a nice % of their coin as Satoshi did unless they also run a HUGE farm. Most devs do not own large mining farms.  They concentrate of code, not machines/rigs. So by the very definition of our present times a new dev is raped of any earning of there time/effort.  They have no chance of earning $/BTC for their time.

For a current day developer/coin creator to put the required time into a new coin (coding, marketing, PR, etc) is a full time job in and of itself.  Due to the dynamics of current times the only real way for this person to benefit in a way to support them doing this full time is to either have a premine or an IPO.  If not the mining farms will take 99% (or whatever) of the coins leaving the coin creator with squat for their creation. Is this fair to you?  How do you propose compensation to POW coin creators? Should it only be a hobby endeavor with no motivation for profit?  How will this work out long term for the coin?

So to wrap up.  In current times, I do not see anything wrong with IPOs or premines.  It is up to each of us to find out, if it's in our own best interest to invest or mine a new coin.  If we plan to profit or support a new coin then it is the responsibility of each of us to investment or time, resources or $ in it and not some "other" authority?

We DO NOT need some "authority" telling us what is and isn't allowed.  I do not want China, USA or YOU telling me what coin is legit or isn't legit. A truly free enterprise (spirit of bitcoin/Satoshi) will quickly de-value the scam coins or copy cats with no new innovation vs those with some new innovation which have a fighting chance and will hold their own or prosper on the alt coin markets.

Really, you nor anyone other than Satoshi can tell us what is or isn't in the TRUE spirit of what Satoshi envisioned.  Even so, if a coin deviates from what Satoshi planned, is this a bad thing?  Can not and should not crypto coins improve as time goes on? Who is to say, what the correct way to this progression is?  Surely not you or I! It is up to the masses to decide what is or is not.

I'll give you an example: HeavyCoin.  This had both an IPO and a premine (double wammy).  So by the OPs standard it would not be allowed here.  However, this coin brings some nice innovations to the table.  Many will not like it for their own personal reasons.  That is fine.  Other will like some of the innovations it brings.  That too is fine.  I don't want to be a shill for this coin (not my intention) and did not get involved in the IPO but do mine it with my small rig (60MH HVC hash rate) .  Some of the IPO money is being used for PR and marketing.  Some for reward bounties.  This to me seems reasonable as any new coins needs proper promotion to become successful.  While I may not agree with everything the devs do, in spirit I like the innovations and what this coin brings to the table.  Even if the coin was to fail down the road, I see it as something of a game changer. Some of the innovations it brings to the alt coin market/sector will be copied (and maybe improved).  I view this as all good.

Another example.  I'm a very good programmer and also very good with finances and marketing, with a nice 6 figure income.  I've been the CEO of 2 companies, CIO of 2 companies including an airline. Good crediential and have worked for fortune 50 companies and elite government agencies. If I were to leave my current full time job to support/create an ALT coin I would want to be compensated accordingly. It would not be a copy cat coin but would have many new innovations and what I'd consider game changers (new ways of doing things and improvements to current way of doing things). I'd want no less then $200K per year (probably higher) for this new endeavor for a minimum of two years. I'd also want at least one other person of the same caliber to join me on the base team. Factor in other costs and misc expenses (servers, computers, etc) and I'd want one million up front for a 2 year investment of my time.  In this day and age to get true innovations it costs money.  Where is this $ going to come from?

Who are you the OP to decide if my innovations are worth it to the community? I could be sitting on the ideas that blow bitcoin out of the water but you would never know because you would ban my coin (site unseen) because it had a premine or IPO (to cover my expenses).  Is this a service or dis-service to the community?

The free-market would decide for itself but NO, you would want to ban it before it got to that point because my new "coin" didn't qualify due to the IPO, even if it had "game changing" algorithms.

Please stop trying to push your closed agenda on everyone else.  Let the free-market determine what is valuable and what is not based on what innovations the coin brings to the table.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 07:09:37 AM

So in summary closed source financial schemes and executables unrelated to bitcoin are appropriate here?

No "hey open the source or go file a patent then open the source then it is on topic here" ?

If you want to profit from your ideas that is what patents are for, right?

So you can open the source and still profit from it?

Software patents are maybe such an evil evil that simply allowing any old scam to be endlessly re-iterated all over the forum is maybe a far lesser evil?

Maybe allowing any and all scams is the price we must pay to avoid software patents and maybe hopefully even get rid of software patenting?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
cayars

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:29:53 AM

So in summary closed source financial schemes and executables unrelated to bitcoin are appropriate here?

No "hey open the source or go file a patent then open the source then it is on topic here" ?

If you want to profit from your ideas that is what patents are for, right?

So you can open the source and still profit from it?

Software patents are maybe such an evil evil that simply allowing any old scam to be endlessly re-iterated all over the forum is maybe a far lesser evil?

Maybe allowing any and all scams is the price we must pay to avoid software patents and maybe hopefully even get rid of software patenting?

-MarkM-

Where/how did you get this take on this conversation/thread?

I don't think anyone is saying closed source is good in any way, nor is anyone talking about being able to patent a coin. It would be really hard to patent anything at this point since it all-ready exists and if a patent were to be issued by the US then the rest of world except the US could ignore it (technically).  Realistically any coin with a patent would be issued a death sentence and probably no one would use it BECAUSE of the patent.

I think you will have a 99+% agreement these go against the coin market and what/how it works.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 09:44:05 AM

The scammy "IPO coins" opposed often do claim they need to with-hold their source code because they don't want anyone to "steal their idea" or "steal their ideas".

Protecting ideas from being stolen is what patent is about.

If their purported idea is not patentable then there is nothing to invest in, it is worthless vapour/bullshit, it cannot be patented because it is itself stolen, or it cannot be patented because it is not an idea worth protecting, either way they don't have something to invest in really they are just bullshitting people and, at best, bring the value proposition "the mainstream is won by bullshit, see how well we are bullshitting you, buy in and we will make you rich by bullshitting everyone else or at least lots more people besides yourself".

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
MiningViking

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 10:30:25 AM

They should be banned but I'm almost willing to bet they wont be.
Of course 95% are pure scams but for the rest 5% out of which 10% might return some money , people won't stop looking into IPOs

Angelshares was kind of a IPO, i bought into that one - what happens remains to be seen..
NoirShares i did throw a few coins at, the same with AlterEgoCoin.
NXT i regret not putting a few satoshis into...
IPO`s are a gamble, some will be scams some will maybe have great success.
Dont invest anything you are not willing to loose, an IPO is like flipping a coin or throwing a dice.
If people dive in above their head it is pretty much their own fault, if people lack common sence they might
get scammed by a IPO but they might just as well by a new revolutionary vacuum cleaner from a door salesman for
some fantasy price.

Iraq!? Afghanistan!? Bring your boys back home and drop a few big ones!!
MiningViking

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 10:32:23 AM

The scammy "IPO coins" opposed often do claim they need to with-hold their source code because they don't want anyone to "steal their idea" or "steal their ideas".

Protecting ideas from being stolen is what patent is about.

If their purported idea is not patentable then there is nothing to invest in, it is worthless vapour/bullshit, it cannot be patented because it is itself stolen, or it cannot be patented because it is not an idea worth protecting, either way they don't have something to invest in really they are just bullshitting people and, at best, bring the value proposition "the mainstream is won by bullshit, see how well we are bullshitting you, buy in and we will make you rich by bullshitting everyone else or at least lots more people besides yourself".

-MarkM-

It can be virtually impossible to get patent on a "digital invention".

Iraq!? Afghanistan!? Bring your boys back home and drop a few big ones!!
eCop

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 10:51:19 AM

most IPOs are scams Shocked
Chris001

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

electroneum.com

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 07:00:02 PM

IPO usually are a bad idea

But they should not be banned, because there are some good ones once in a while

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=186785
Here is the link to my trust settings here on forum. This trust system is very unfair. I make good on every deal Ive ever made. I had many, many deals as you can see and I never scammed anyone. All it takes is a random account to give you negative trust and youre screwed. Tomatocage has never even talked to me ever but when the random acct hit me with negative trust, Tomatocage came right behind him and marked neg trust again so obviously he was the one who did it. You can look at Tomatocage trust and see how many of his compeditors at the currency exchange thread he labeled scammers. I never scammed anyone. My trust was green over 20 before this. I hope it never happens to you because the mods cant help you.
Momimaus

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

Never back down !!!

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 08:29:39 PM

haha only a miner can start this kind of post. ridiculous

But in my opinion we don´t need any new coins. There a enough of them, and the basics for huge projects a there soon.
Instaed of creating shitcoins think about what can you build on top of Gen 2.0 coins.

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
CoinTracking is analyzing all your trades and generates in real time tons of useful information such as the profit / loss of your trades, your balances, realized and unrealized gains, reports for tax declaration and many more. For Bitcoin and over 3000 altcoins, assets and commodities.
Get 10% discount for all packages or create your own affiliate link to get 20% for every sale.
Dallas5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 09:40:29 PM

The first IPO I saw on this site turned out to be a scam, and the next one and then the next one. While stackcoin wins the IPO scam award. I won't be surprised IPO's account for more then 1000 BTC stolen from BTCtalk users. I'm surprised the admins of this forum don't take action to make this a safer place for newbies to learn and enjoy about cryptocurrencies.

Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:41:12 PM

Don't

Ryota

Activity: 61

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:17:03 PM

This forum is like forums about HYIP (High-Yield Investment Program).

99.99% of the people are here to make only money, not to make a better world...

You need to integrate this as a perfectly normal trend in the cryptos.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: