Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 06:55:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Effects of Non-GPU Hardware on a Rig  (Read 406 times)
renisel2 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:06:14 AM

I'm new to mining and the reading I had done had me under the impression that the graphics card was the dominant factor in determining what you could get out of your rig.  However, I started with getting about 400 kH/s with the XFX R9 270 on my work/gaming machine, and then decided to try to stick some XFX 7950s into a crappy rig with a Celeron, cheap Gigabyte mobo and cheap memory, and it is giving me almost nothing.  If I take the 7950 and put it in my "good" machine, I can get about 530 kH/s stably without touching other options; in my cheap rig, I get about 150 from the exact same card before it explodes with HW errors.  With overclocking, I can get my good machine to do about 630 kH/s with that card before I start getting occasional (~2%) rejections (still no hardware errors).

Am I doing something wrong, or did I just pick some bad components for the rest of the rig?
Starscream

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:15:48 AM

I'm new to mining and the reading I had done had me under the impression that the graphics card was the dominant factor in determining what you could get out of your rig.  However, I started with getting about 400 kH/s with the XFX R9 270 on my work/gaming machine, and then decided to try to stick some XFX 7950s into a crappy rig with a Celeron, cheap Gigabyte mobo and cheap memory, and it is giving me almost nothing.  If I take the 7950 and put it in my "good" machine, I can get about 530 kH/s stably without touching other options; in my cheap rig, I get about 150 from the exact same card before it explodes with HW errors.  With overclocking, I can get my good machine to do about 630 kH/s with that card before I start getting occasional (~2%) rejections (still no hardware errors).

Am I doing something wrong, or did I just pick some bad components for the rest of the rig?

What miner are you using and are the configurations the same?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: