Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:58:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicago Sun-Times Bitcoin Experiment (NOW OVER)  (Read 1797 times)
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 02:00:53 AM

I agree that $.25 is a bit of a waste. It would be better to ask for a minimum donation of 0.001 BTC that way the transaction fee isn't more than the donation LOL.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Peter R (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:03:46 AM

Why would you recommend donating 25 cents?

If you want this experiment to work, you better hope the total donations they receive is *BIG*.

That means everyone needs to donate $25.00.  Not 25 cents.

If 400 people donate 25 cents and their grand total is $100, they'll consider bitcoin a total joke, with a bunch of poor teenagers promoting it.

If 400 people donate 25 dollars and their grand total is $10,000 .... they'll announce that from a mountaintop and Bitcoin will get yet another boost in legitimacy.

A lot of people can afford $0.25 (the minimum option given) but not $5.00 or more.  If this hits the press, they will likely report the total number of donations so even making a small donations is helpful.  People need to know they are contributing with a $0.25 donation--that's sort of the point of micro-payments.

And people who want to to donate more will, regardless of what I suggest.  I know I did.  

EDIT: I've added $0.25 (or more!!) to the OP.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Peter R (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:08:22 AM

I agree that $.25 is a bit of a waste. It would be better to ask for a minimum donation of 0.001 BTC that way the transaction fee isn't more than the donation LOL.

BitWalls integrates with Coinbase.  If you want to save the 8 cent transaction fee, sign-up and fund a Coinbase wallet.  It's pretty slick (I tried for the first time today): the Coinbase wallet automatically detects that the receiving address is also a Coinbase customer, and then the transactions gets executed off-chain.  This saves the user the miner's fee, and relieves the bitcoin network of small dust-type transactions.  

Micro-payments are one of the killer-apps for off-chain bitcoin transactions.

BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:12:52 AM

BitWalls integrates with Coinbase.  If you want to save the 8 cent transaction fee, sign-up and fund a Coinbase wallet.  It's pretty slick (I tried for the first time today): the Coinbase wallet automatically detects that the receiving address is also a Coinbase customer, and then the transactions gets executed off-chain.  This saves the user the miner's fee, and relieves the bitcoin network of small dust-type transactions.  

You'd still end up paying a fee to fund your coinbase account though no?  Either a fee for depositing fiat , or a minning fee sending btc to your coinbase wallet?

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Peter R (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:34:01 AM

You'd still end up paying a fee to fund your coinbase account though no?  Either a fee for depositing fiat , or a minning fee sending btc to your coinbase wallet?

Yes you'd pay a miner's fee to fund your Coinbase wallet.  If micropayment take off, a lot of people would use their Coinbase (or similar) wallet for many many micropayments and only pay a fee each time they load or unload your Coinbase wallet on-chain.

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:53:13 AM

Yes you'd pay a miner's fee to fund your Coinbase wallet.  If micropayment take off, a lot of people would use their Coinbase (or similar) wallet for many many micropayments and only pay a fee each time they load or unload your Coinbase wallet on-chain.

Yup...just like how on-chain gambling sites is losing market shares to those off-chain gambling sites...
R0yalAir

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:12:41 AM

it's so sad to read the ninth largest newspaper in the US begging for bitcoin money

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: