Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:21:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory wallet and canceling transaction  (Read 1056 times)
ignatius13 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:25:09 AM

I recently downloaded the Armory wallet and tried to send BTC from my bitcoin qt wallet. The Armory wallet continually crashes before it can complete set up. Now my btc are in limbo between my wallets. Is it possible to cancel the transaction and return them to my first wallet? Or, send them from the armory wallet without it competing a block index?
TCM

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:21:45 PM

As I understand it, if you have sent it, it's not "in limbo". The transaction is irreversibly done and the network now says it's at the new address. You just don't see it because of your problems with the new address.
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:44:52 PM

I recently downloaded the Armory wallet and tried to send BTC from my bitcoin qt wallet. The Armory wallet continually crashes before it can complete set up. Now my btc are in limbo between my wallets. Is it possible to cancel the transaction and return them to my first wallet? Or, send them from the armory wallet without it competing a block index?

Is your tx confirmed?
If yes, you may export the private keys in the armory wallet, and import it into other wallets.
ignatius13 (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:37:31 PM

yes, my tx is confirmed.

I exported a backup to a text file from armory and seem to have all the information I'd need, e.g., root key, privbase, privhex. I can't get it to import into bitcoin-qt using the RPC console. I'm typing "importprivkey" followed by a space then one of the strings of characters. all have given error codes. i think I'm on the right track..

what am I doing wrong?
Sonny

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:45:34 PM

yes, my tx is confirmed.

I exported a backup to a text file from armory and seem to have all the information I'd need, e.g., root key, privbase, privhex. I can't get it to import into bitcoin-qt using the RPC console. I'm typing "importprivkey" followed by a space then one of the strings of characters. all have given error codes. i think I'm on the right track..

what am I doing wrong?

Use the following with cautions, never show the private keys to others, and send all your bitcoin to a newly generated address afterwards:

1. Go to http://brainwallet.org/#chains (access it in off-line mode for better safety)
2. Enter your root key in the "Paper Backup" field
xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
3. You should be able to see your addresses and the associated private keys at the bottom
4. Import the private keys to blockchain.info / Electrum / Multibit or any other wallet
5. Send your bitcoin to a newly generated address (to prevent loss just in case)
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:49:04 PM

yes, my tx is confirmed.

what am I doing wrong?
Did you unlock your QT wallet first?

walletpassphrase [your wallet passphrase without brackets] 1200
^1200 refers to # of seconds to keep wallet unlocked

(for Armory privkey, use the one that starts with a 5 and has a mix of uppercase and lowercase numbers, but remove all of the spaces. 5Aik 03Nz 3E9z etc... -> 5Aik03Nz3E9Z etc...) (or maybe correctly-formatted privkey starts with a different number... now I'm unsure)
ignatius13 (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:51:39 PM

1. Go to http://brainwallet.org/#chains (access it in off-line mode for better safety)
2. Enter your root key in the "Paper Backup" field
3. You should be able to see your addresses and the associated private keys at the bottom
4. Import the private keys to blockchain.info / Electrum / Multibit or any other wallet
5. Send your bitcoin to a newly generated address (to prevent loss just in case)

[/quote]

Ok, I got through to step 4. The Electrum wallet I imported to shows the public keys (I think.. the first set of characters associated with the private keys I imported from Brainwallet) listed in Receive tab. However, the balance shows zero. IM guessing this will update after the Electrum wallet syncs with the network? Then send to a new wallet?

Thanks for taking the time to help out a newb
Sonny

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 05:46:13 AM

Ok, I got through to step 4. The Electrum wallet I imported to shows the public keys (I think.. the first set of characters associated with the private keys I imported from Brainwallet) listed in Receive tab.

That is indeed your bitcoin addresses, which allow everyone (including yourself) to send bitcoin to.

However, the balance shows zero.

Could you double check the address balance on blockchain.info?
Enter the address on the site, and see if the balance is really zero.

IM guessing this will update after the Electrum wallet syncs with the network?

Electrum is a thin wallet, and users only need to download the block headers (around 20MB), and so the process should be really quick (unless your connection is very bad / slow)....

Then send to a new wallet?

I should use "newly generated address" instead.

It is for 2 reasons.

For the Electrum wallet, you can either backup the master seed (the 12 words you get when you first create a new wallet), or the wallet file.
Please note that your imported addresses cannot be recovered from the master seed.

Another reason is for safety.
Everyone can spend the bitcoin on an address if they have the private key.
Though the site brainwallet.org is considered trusted and the code has been reviewed by many people, it is still possible that someone has "hijacked" the site right before you go to the site.

Even if you access the site as off-line, it could still send the private key to the bad guy when you get online. So, as a precaution measure, you could send all the bitcoin out, and never use that address anymore in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to help out a newb

You are welcome Smiley
oxfardk

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:26:51 AM

just delete the database folder manually then try to sync again

ignatius13 (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 03:15:58 AM

Ok, looks like I got it all sorted out.

I created a watch only wallet on BlockChain with the address I had and sent those funds to a trusted address in my QT wallet. Then I was prompted to enter my private key. After a few tries (I had to remove the spaces) it worked and he funds immediately showed up where I wanted them. They're unconfirmed at this point, but I'm sure that will change soon enough.

It's been a learning experience.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: