BitcoinEXpress (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 07:01:25 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2016, 12:42:56 AM by BitcoinEXpress

delete
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 07:06:02 PM

Is i0 even maintained anymore ?

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 07:14:32 PM

Is i0 even maintained anymore ?

Yeah Fusebox took over it, he forked the new client about two weeks that allowed it to live.

Ah, oky Smiley

Anyways, this is as good time as any to remind the interested parties that Geist is not burdened by any bizarre licenses so no need to ask me before seeking inspiration in its git ^__^

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 07:34:59 PM

This is friendly advice based on someone who understands this exploit. I would close the I0 Exchange. until I0 is patched and a new client is distributed. Bitparking is providing the final piece needed for I0C to be a huge laboratory. I am afraid they will find the missing piece which allow them to deploy this exploit with a lot less than 51%. Possibly against Bitcoin when NMC merges.
The I0Coin exchange (and the other bit parking exchanges) have some protection against exploits involving rolling back the block chain to steal money from the exchange. They stop processing blocks at any attempt to rollback beyond the deposit confirmation limit. This has already happened once, yesterday, at a 10 confirmation limit, and today at a 20 confirmation limit.

The I0Coin exchange is still closed for deposits/withdraws as a result of the latter while I examine the logs to see what was attempted. I'm also logging IP addresses of nodes sending rollback transactions to track down the nodes involved.

One upside of these attempts is it has given me a number of ideas on how to make an exchange safer against such attacks. I hope to implement some of these in a future exchange project and will be unlikely to be opening any further exchanges until this is done. There's just too much that can go wrong with low hash chains and exchanges.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: